Thread: MS3Pro Turbo Build - Idle Control and Startup

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5

MS3Pro Turbo Build - Idle Control and Startup

Hiya,

I'm running into issues tuning my startup with the Idle Control Valve (3-wire) setup. Once running, everything I've got runs beautifully, including the ICV in open-loop mode.

I'm able to turn the ICV off completely and the motor will start immediately. When the ICV is enabled in open-loop (or closed), I'll usually have to crank 3-10 times before it starts. It looks like it gets out of the "Cranking" state, hits the running tables, then dies. It sometimes backfires when doing this.

I've played with my fuel cranking PW, bringing it all the way down to 30-ish%, messed with ASE going higher and lower, and turned off the priming pulse completely which seems to help. Currently, I have it set up to place the ICV at 90% PWM when cranking, then taper down to idle at the low 40s. Obviously this results in it starting, revving to about 3k, then slowly tapering down to idle.

Has anyone else had any struggles with the ICV and starting? Like I said, if I turn the thing off, it starts like a dream but turn it on and it becomes incredibly inconsistent.

I've attached a rar of my TS project and can provide a log (with different tune settings, but the same thing happens now) of it failing to start and backfiring. It seems like a fueling issue to me, but I can't seem to find what it wants.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, it doesn't want to let me attach my rar/zip.

Tune: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ku...G4pYcYBNX79sJL
    Log: https://drive.google.com/open?id=12W...ULJUbBafziLdJY

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Are you starting with the base tunes from DIY Autotune for the motor/chassis? They have 2 or 3 of them for OBD1 E36 3.0 (I think) cars.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Are you starting with the base tunes from DIY Autotune for the motor/chassis? They have 2 or 3 of them for OBD1 E36 3.0 (I think) cars.
    Oooo good point. Let me look at those.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    '95 E34 525i, M50B32 (S52 Crank, K1 Rods, JE 9.0:1 Pistons, S52 Cams, Cutring, Achilles Oil Pump Shaft & Sprocket), GTW3684R 0.82A/R, ZF320

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5
    I took a look at the base tune for an E36, and adjusted the values that were reasonable and relevant. I still haven't found the issue. I'm thinking I'm just an idiot that hasn't tried the right thing, because I can turn off my ICV and it starts up just fine. I turn on the ICV with a cranking pulse of whatever value that's reasonably open, and it starts inconsistently. I seem to get better results holding the throttle down a bit, but shouldn't the solution be available by opening the ICV up more during cranking?

Take a look at these two logs, aptly titled "IAC" and "No_IAC" to see the difference (NOTE: On the IAC log, look at the second start attempt. The first one did not have the IAC enabled). I notice that the kPa between them is different, but I can't think of a logical explanation.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_k...S0vkEE92JQj6vN
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YF...8U1196LDK9S5qz

My Cars
    97' 328is, 07' Titan
    I used the base maps they included and started and idled first try (after I got power to my injectors correctly, I'm not counting a wiring mistake I made) The things I ran into the most issue with for driveability was the MAT air density table and MAT/CLT correction. Both of those contributed to idle issues and hot start issues.
    1997 328is - Megasquirt PNP, Holset HX35, Deka 80lb injectors, SPA T3, Precision PW39 WG, Synapse Synchronic BOV, DKM Organic Twin Disc Clutch, Innovate LC-2 W/B, Mishimoto Intercooler, Mishimoto Catch Can, Mishimoto Rad, Devils Own Meth, Porsche 911 calipers with E46 M3 rotors, Corsa Exhaust

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
    I used the base maps they included and started and idled first try (after I got power to my injectors correctly, I'm not counting a wiring mistake I made) The things I ran into the most issue with for driveability was the MAT air density table and MAT/CLT correction. Both of those contributed to idle issues and hot start issues.
    Thanks for the insight. I'll take a look at those too since I run into IAT sensor soak issues once the cars warm, sits, then starts again (runs a little lean until it's driving).

Would you be willing to provide your MAT tables?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    '95 E34 525i, M50B32 (S52 Crank, K1 Rods, JE 9.0:1 Pistons, S52 Cams, Cutring, Achilles Oil Pump Shaft & Sprocket), GTW3684R 0.82A/R, ZF320