Thread: Help please

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i

Help please

Worried owner of a 1997 540I 6 speed. 175,000 miles. Within the last 60 days, 3 exploded fans. First repair was a new fan blade and clutch. Second repair was new fan blade and new motor mounts. Latest incident ruined radiator, small dent in hood. Repair shop is completely stumped. Any input / advice would be great.
    Thank you.

My Cars
    2000 728i; 2004 x3 3.0i;
    The new viscous coupling (clutch) could be faulty. How did you test it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    z3
    Did they at any point replace the water pump?

How are your engine mounts?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Thanks for the quick replies. Nothing was mentioned about the clutch. It is the original clutch. Could you tell me how this might be the culprit? Yes, the water pump has been replaced - about a year ago.

Thank you again.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I forwarded bad info. The clutch was replaced. It was new last month.

My Cars
    99528it 02525it 04325it
    Were the parts recently replaced aftermarket? I understand new but if they were substandard and cheaper then you will run into problems like you are having now.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    The important question we should be asking you is..... What brand clutch fan did you buy?
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by 56wedge View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies. Nothing was mentioned about the clutch. It is the original clutch. Could you tell me how this might be the culprit? Yes, the water pump has been replaced - about a year ago.

Thank you again.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I forwarded bad info. The clutch was replaced. It was new last month.
    If the fan clutch is bad, it can cause the fan to rotate at a higher RPM than it is supposed to. As I understand it, a bad clutch can cause the fan to rotate at actual engine speed which can cause a catastrophic failure such as you are experiencing. The clutch is usually the main culprit in situations like this.

Have you seen a rise in engine temp during this period? If the clutch is faulty, another indication could be higher temps like in traffic or such.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    If the clutch is seized, I would expect the engine temp to remain normal, as it's fully engaged. A seized clutch will cause a loud fan noise at off-idle engine speed.

I'd be prone to suspect front engine mounts, at this mileage, allowing the engine to move around under acceleration and cause the fan to contact the rad.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Thank you all for responding. All of the parts have been OEM. They tell me this is all they use in their repairs. edjack, the engine mounts where replaced after the second incident.

Is it common for a clutch to "bad" out of the box?

Also, as I replay the failures in my mind one piece of information stands out. All three times I was pulling away from a stop. Not fast at all. Controlled, in 1st gear not reaching more than 15mph. Bang. I hope this information and my answers to your questions helps.

Thank you all again.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Edjack - you are spot on that a seized clutch will cause a loud noise - seems OP hasn't reported that. However, I have seen cars run higher temp in traffic due to a bad clutch.

56wedge.... have you visually checked the fan with the engine running to see if there is a wobble at all? I believe you said the water pump was replaced, but I'd still give it a visual check. Also, as others suggested, I would check the motor mounts again. could be the engine does indeed move as you pull away under power. You can check for movement with the car stationary and someone revving it up while you watch.... just be careful.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    AquilaBMW, et al., A quick update. The shop has replaced the radiator and fan. They also replaced the top radiator hose - they said it had some minor damage but didn't know if it caused the problem or was damaged as a result of the fan exploding. At this point they have told me they still do not know what caused this to happen three times. They seem to think the radiator hose that was replaced was very, very close to the rotating fan blades and think it might have been the wrong hose. The hose wasn't damaged in the two earlier failures, so I'm skeptical and worried about driving the car. I was offered a diagnosis (not by the shop) not previously mentioned - crankshaft crank - thrust washer? They are worn out and causing the crankshaft to move forward when pushing in the clutch and accelerating causing the water pump / pulley, etc. to move slightly affecting the fan. Your thoughts would be great. Thank you all again.

My Cars
    99 540i6, 02 X5, Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by 56wedge View Post
    AquilaBMW, et al., A quick update. The shop has replaced the radiator and fan. They also replaced the top radiator hose - they said it had some minor damage but didn't know if it caused the problem or was damaged as a result of the fan exploding. At this point they have told me they still do not know what caused this to happen three times. They seem to think the radiator hose that was replaced was very, very close to the rotating fan blades and think it might have been the wrong hose. The hose wasn't damaged in the two earlier failures, so I'm skeptical and worried about driving the car. I was offered a diagnosis (not by the shop) not previously mentioned - crankshaft crank - thrust washer? They are worn out and causing the crankshaft to move forward when pushing in the clutch and accelerating causing the water pump / pulley, etc. to move slightly affecting the fan. Your thoughts would be great. Thank you all again.
    Sounds like you need a new mechanic!
    E85 fueled, Eaton m112 supercharged 4.5L M62TU, TTV racing flywheel, Spec stage 2+ clutch, 88c thermostat, eibach sway bars, wavetrac 3.15 lsd, m5 steering box, Quantum 340lph fuel pump, Dinan camber plates, some powerflex bushings, Supersprint headers, M5 cats, 2001 gas pedal upgrade and many other things done. all diy by me