BAVToys

Thread: 2001 525i lighting upgrades (HID Equipped)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525i

2001 525i lighting upgrades (HID Equipped)

Hello all!
    So to give you all a little back story, I had someone cut me off in traffic and slam on the breaks 2 feet in front of me in traffic and I ended up getting into an accident. I managed to fix everything (replaced hood, front crossmember/auxillary fan, bumper, and both headlight assemblies) back to a point where you'd never even know the accident happened. The problem is, the headlight assemblies I bought off a guy with an m5 he was parting out are tinted and you can't just peel the tint off as expected. And at night/dusk I can't see anything hardly and just have to go off the markers on the road at that point. Would anyone know if it'd be safe to replace the bulbs with a higher wattage? I heard that they can melt the ballasts if you do that, and I'm a guy in college still paying off all of the parts and paint I had to get, that being said, I'm definitely willing to put as much money into fixing this as needed.

Second question, the person before me replaced the halo bulbs with cheap Amazon LEDs that were malfunctioning so I replaced them with the OEM ones that survived the crash, anyone have any ideas on how to brighten them up as well as make them more white??

Thanks
    -Tarma

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Tarma, welcome top bimmerforums!

Sorry to hear about your accident, but certainly give you credit for fixing up the car to keep it on the road longer!

To answer your questions, installing "higher wattage HID bulbs" is not going to do anything because the ballast still puts out same 35watts it always does. Is the tint sprayed on to the lenses? Are you sure your headlight adjusters aren't busted? When they break, headlight projectors droop down and light up 5ft in front of the car if that.

No way to make angel eyes whiter without swapping halogen bulbs for LED.
    Last edited by Mless5; 01-19-2019 at 02:26 PM.

My Cars
    08 328i|01 530i|96 328s
    Umnitza sells replacement lenses, so if the ///M lights came from an early '02 or '01 MY, you can bake them apart and put in new lenses. I would also suggest upgrading to a newer, brighter Xenon capsule like the Philips XV2 or Osram Xenarc Nightbreaker. They will make a noticiable difference, even with OEM ballasts. LMK if you have any other questions.

P.S. Powerbulbs is running a special, if you buy 2 or more of select OE style HID capsules.

~Phil
    Madeiraviolett Bf.C club member #001

1996 BMW 328is Madeiraviolett/Dove Grey: 5 Spd, Sport, Cold Weather & Premium Sound pkgs.
    3.5" ECIS/ITG intake -> Samco ASC Delete Boot -> DINAN TB -> M50 Manifold -> S52 Cams | Bav Auto Red-top ignition coils tuned w/ AA software, Dynomax Cats & Stromung exhaust UUC Pulleys & Clutch stop, FDM=Zionsville radiator, Mishimoto Tank, SAMCO hoses, Fidanza LTW flywheel & M3 clutch, UUC Evo3 SSK, 3.23 LSD, Koni/Eibach Adjustable Damper suspension, PUR RSM's & RTABs, CF Strut brace, UUC Swaybarbarians, Motorsport X-Brace, 17x8 Beyern Mesh wheels Hella CELIS projectors + 5k TRS HID's, Fog delete=Brake cooling duct, LTW wing, ///M Bumper & R. Diffuser
    CCA Member #382557

My Cars
    '03 540it m '03 540ia m
    Hello?