Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slave cylinder bleeding woes

My Cars
    '06 X5/6spd 3.0
    Be very meticulous about installing the new unit. I said it up there ^ but I will again. We've already established in this thread that it's normal for the rod to be flopping around when not installed, so why wouldn't it be possible that you're shoving the slave in there and the pin is sagging and not seating properly? I definitely can recall needing to use something (either my skinniest finger or a screwdriver, this was 2012 I can't remember) to straighten it while installing. I also remember having my entire project delayed because the first time I just shoved it in there and upon trying to pump the clutch blew the pin out into the bellhousing forcing me to fish it out with a magnet.

If the thing was getting stuck, say, halfway in, I'd say yeah something else is wrong. But you've got the right distance / gap there that it's entirely possible in my eyes.
    Last edited by bigsixe34; 12-17-2018 at 08:07 PM.

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsixe34 View Post
    Be very meticulous about installing the new unit. I said it up there ^ but I will again. We've already established in this thread that it's normal for the rod to be flopping around when not installed, so why wouldn't it be possible that you're shoving the slave in there and the pin is sagging and not seating properly? I definitely can recall needing to use something (either my skinniest finger or a screwdriver, this was 2012 I can't remember) to straighten it while installing. I also remember having my entire project delayed because the first time I just shoved it in there and upon trying to pump the clutch blew the pin out into the bellhousing forcing me to fish it out with a magnet.

If the thing was getting stuck, say, halfway in, I'd say yeah something else is wrong. But you've got the right distance / gap there that it's entirely possible in my eyes.
    Im not sure if manual vs auto e34s had different trans tunnel sizes but my car was swapped at some point and it is extremely difficult to get slave up there. Very tight, to the point that I had to rip out a bunch of sound deadening just to make it possible to put back in. Im sure I damaged my last slave doing this, as I had to manipulate rod to get the damned thing in. Im going to be careful with the new one.

In regards to improper seating, say it isn’t correct, its so close that pushing in clutch wouldn’t throw the rod, meaning my rod was somewhere on the release lever, not just completely off. Fcp euro is taking their time shipping new slave unfortunately. Changing the waterpump on my e32s m30 in the meantime tomorrow lol.

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Well got new slave installed it, still has same gap. But got some competent friends over who helped me old school pump bleed it and voila clutch is back and is smooooth. Car no longer is hard to get into gear and no more grinds!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by jmile46 View Post
    Well got new slave installed it, still has same gap. But got some competent friends over who helped me old school pump bleed it and voila clutch is back and is smooooth. Car no longer is hard to get into gear and no more grinds!
    Time to celebrate

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Time to celebrate
    Hahah oh yes! Celebrating by rebuilding my power steering pump on e32!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12