Thread: E12 Project help needed

My Cars
    520 e12 '74

E12 Project help needed

Greetings!

Before I start, I would like appologize if this post doesnt belong here, as I saw that there were no E12 subgroup, and probably this was the most active part related to this model. Also, I would lile to point out that I will try my best to give as much information as I can, trying not to be a pain for you to read it all, so - sorry in advance.

Starting at the basics, i'm making an E12 project, with a mechanical swap in virtually every part to upgrade to newer systems/techs, just enough to be a reliable daily/performance "toy".

So far we've successfully swaped the M10 for a M52TUB25 (e46) and the 4spd getrag for a 5spd (e36).

Now I'm studying the differencial and brakes swap, and here I need some light.

First, location factors:
    - I'm from Brazil, where we have tons of E36, E39, E46 and newer ones... But very, very few E34, E30, E28 and so on.

- Importing parts here, even used ones, is kinda expensive, so if possible, I'm looking for solutions that favors on this "bimmer environment"

Second, "little" things from the project:
    - From the engine and gearbox swap, I've lost my speedometer and rev meter, which would be nice to get back in some way

- I've also lost the brake booster, due to the intake size and air intake to the throtlebody, so I'm now running a Brake Booster Delete setup, but I really want to put back some brake booster. Apparently, I could fit a 6" or 7" brakebooster in the original position. Any thoughts here? ._.

Now the real issues:
    - Diffs: My diff is 4.1, which is really short, so I'm looking for something around 3.45, or close to that, to give me more "cruising range". The actual diff seems to be the same as E9 and E3, as far as I read, so changing only the inner parts would work, but so far is the expensive try, and wouldnt solve the rev and speed issues

- Brakes: Actual brakes are disks in the front and drums in back. My idea is to replace the whole system with E34's 540i brakes, which seems to be a smooth fit in the E12 chassi, but I dont really know about it and what it really involves.

To solve both of these issues, I've thought to swap the whole rear part to an E34 (If i'm lucky enough to get my hands in one) or an E36, but I couldnt find if it would enlarge my rear width too much, or be a real stupid/painful swap.

If anyone has any insights on this, please, join the army

Thank you very much,
    Fernando

My Cars
    E34 540i6, E46 323i, E36
    Cool project. I've got an E34 540i if you need some dimensions from the rear end (subframe) or brakes. Unfortunately I don't know much about E12's...here in Michigan they all rusted away I think