Thread: e46 ball joint set work for e39?

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO

e46 ball joint set work for e39?

Does anyone know if the rear ball joint/bushing press set for the e46 would work for the e39? I already have one which is why I’m asking. But I don’t want to lose the downtime if it’s not compatible (i.e. will plan to order e39 tool if necessary at the same time I order the suspension parts).

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I don't know what the e46 one looks like. Post a pic of what you have and I'll see if it is the same as my e39 one.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    It’s one of the mixed tool sets for all the bushings in the rear end of the E36/E46. I used it for the rtabs, ball joints, differential bushings, etc.

Untitled by Twistytee, on Flickr

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    The E39 ball joints are 52mm diameter, if one of your pieces is a little smaller and one a bit larger it might work.
    Your rods look long enough.

Here's mine.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    I have the same set up as JimLev. It works great. BTW, the outer sleve is the perfect size to drive the front crankshaft seal on the Ford 5.4 Triton V-8.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    The E39 ball joints are 52mm diameter, if one of your pieces is a little smaller and one a bit larger it might work.
    Your rods look long enough.

Here's mine.
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    What brand is that? If you don't mind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Yonkers, the paperwork that came with it said www.samicspecialtools.com, however when I try the URL they are not found.
    They were also sold on eBay. I'll see if I can find it.

Here ya go, looks the same, no case, but only $44 which is less than 1/2 of what I paid years ago. It didn't get good reviews, maybe that's why it's only $44.
    I haven't used it on my car yet but have done so on some friends cars, worked fine.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...icspecialtools

Here's one that looks pretty close to what twisty has. Says it will do E39 and many others too.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silent-Bloc...sAAOxyYANTajP0
    Last edited by JimLev; 12-12-2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Added eBay links

My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Thank uou

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Mine is a PMD Products set I got of the Bay. Definitely made in China, but I was happy with the quality for the price. I also have a vanos tool set from them and a similar timing set I used to do the cams and timing chain on my B7 Audi. I know some have had success using a generic ball joint loaner set from their FLAPS, but I’m a big proponent of saving time and minimizing mistakes if you can source the right tools at a reasonable price. It makes these weekend jobs a lot easier

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    ^_yup, gotta have good tools. Think I've got everything except the rear subframe bushing tool set. I know where to borrow one when the time comes.

The $44 ball joint bad review.....I wonder if they didn't grease the threads which is why it galled?

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    So for future reference in case someone checks this thread, the e36/46 press kit doesn’t work well on the e39. The receiver cup options aren’t large enough for the ball joint. I tried swapping in cups from the advanced auto rental but unfortunately I ended up popping out the guts and leaving the outer steel sleeve still pressed in the wheel carrier. Hoping I can still press it out with the right diameter cup, but I may need to cut the sleeve to release it. The joys of working on a 16 y/o car...

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Thanks for the follow-up. I was hoping you would have success with the E36/E46 kit. I did this job on my E39 a few months ago using the Autozone tool. Like you, I pushed the guts of the ball joint out on one side leaving the outer casing in the bore. When I found the correct-sized cup to push, it came right out. getting the large clamp in the right position was the tough part.

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    When I did my ball joint this summer, I put the joint in the freezer over night. It was really hot out so I didn't bother to heat the carrier. The frozen joint slid almost all of the way in.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Well, I got the first side out and in with the C clamp ball joint kit from advanced auto. It wasn’t particularly easy. When I discovered the e46 kit wouldn’t work I ordered another PMD kit for the e39/e60. It arrived in time to do the other side. I sprayed it with PB Blaster, let it sit overnight and used the PMD kit. The old one came out and new one went in like butter. I used the freezer tip on the install and applied anti seize on the wheel carier in case I need do it again in the future.

PMD kit was ~$60 shipped through Amazon. Looks similar to the one Jim posted above.