Thread: !998 BMW 323i convertible - Radio/trunk CD - no sound?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323i convertibl

!998 BMW 323i convertible - Radio/trunk CD - no sound?

It would seem I created two new problems but solved the original. Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.... There were a couple bulbs in my instrument cluster, OBC and my radio that went out a few years ago and me being the lazy ass I am I ignored it since everything continued to work properly. Then one day I was feeling energized by too much coffee I decided I'd fix it. About 10-12 years ago I had already replaced a bulb in the instrument cluster and OBC so I already knew how to remove and replace them but not the radio. Since a 1998 323i doesn't have an adjustable steering wheel you have to remove the airbag then the wheel to get the instrument cluster out.

Now to the main problem, When I got the radio out I found out you have to completely dismantle the radio to get to the bulb so I elected not to do that since it still worked properly other than being dim so I replaced "all 26" bulbs in the cluster and OBC then reassembled everything, entered the code and it accepted and went to FM.

Now, the cluster and OBC lights up beautifully but my airbag light stays on and I get no sound out of the radio or trunk 6-CD changer. I have taken both the airbag and radio out to check connections 3X and it appears fine. Believe it or not I'm more concerned about the radio at this time than the airbag. Help please!!!! BTW, It's the original radio not a replacement...

I have no idea what I'm doing yet Kevlar, I just joined yesterday and thought I was in the right place to ask for help. How exactly do I ask the good people on this forum questions about my radio? I see you say, "use the E36 forum" but when I get there how exactly do I start a new thread to get some replies. I guess I'm dumb as a rock but when I click on new post it shows me the most recent posts. Haven't figured out how to start a new thread only the one I used.

It would seem I created two new problems but solved the original. Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.... There were a couple bulbs in my instrument cluster, OBC and my radio that went out a few years ago and me being the lazy ass I am I ignored it since everything continued to work properly. Then one day I was feeling energized by too much coffee I decided I'd fix it. About 10-12 years ago I had already replaced a bulb in the instrument cluster and OBC so I already knew how to remove and replace them but not the radio. Since a 1998 323i doesn't have an adjustable steering wheel you have to remove the airbag then the wheel to get the instrument cluster out.

Here's the main problem, When I got the radio out I found out you have to completely dismantle the radio to get to the bulb so I elected not to do that since it still worked properly other than being dim (I did absolutely nothing to the radio other than reinstall it). So I replaced "all 26" bulbs in the cluster and OBC then reassembled everything, entered the code, and it accepted and went to FM. BTW, I'm not replacing the the radio with a new one, Just trying to get the original to work as it did before I started this project.

Now, the cluster and OBC lights up beautifully but my airbag light stays on and I get no sound out of the radio or trunk 6-CD changer. I have taken both the airbag and radio out to check connections 3X and it appears fine. At Thai point I'm more concerned with the radio than the airbag, Help please!!!!
    Last edited by shogun; 12-17-2018 at 08:19 PM. Reason: 3 threads merged

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    moved from E36 DIY to E36 general
    Last edited by shogun; 12-17-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!