Thread: Trailer hitch?

My Cars
    2003 540i6

Trailer hitch?

Hey all!

I've been contemplating buying a pickup truck for a while now, but then it occurred to me that I could just install a hitch and it would cost me far less in the long run. I'd mostly use a trailer to haul plywood and big box store stuff.

So I've been researching trailer hitches in my downtime, and I've discovered I pretty much have 3 options. For all 3 options, I plan on buying a new diffuser and cover for my Mtech bumper. I'm guessing that all 3 options would be compatible with the towing diffuser cover. I'd like to be able to remove the ball mount when not in use.

Diffuser
    https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...1-12-2-494-800

Diffuser Cover
    https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...1-12-2-695-499

Option 1
    Original Genuine BMW detachable hitch for Mtech bumper
    https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...1-60-6-768-848

pic of how it's laid out.
    hitch-M.PNG

Option 2
    Aftermarket non-detachable hitch. Permanent tail on the car.
    https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/bmw-E...product=303134
    hitch-nondetach.PNG

Option 3
    American aftermarket. At first glance, I didn't like how it bolted right into the spare tire well, but its mounting is really no different than the others, it just seems to distribute the load better. It also has the removable ball mount, which is nice.
    https://www.curtmfg.com/part/111792
    hitch-american.PNG

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with any of the 3 options?
    2003 540i/6

My Cars
    2000 BMW 540i M
    I wish I had some experience to share on these. If it were me and I didn't have to tow anything too heavy or too often I'd choose the 3rd option. I personally couldn't even afford the bmw choice so it would be a matter of which aftermarket one. I would spend the extra $120 or so for the American that way it's not permanent. I'd love to have a hitch but not at the cost of a permanent eyesore.

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by trevzor4242 View Post
    I wish I had some experience to share on these. If it were me and I didn't have to tow anything too heavy or too often I'd choose the 3rd option. I personally couldn't even afford the bmw choice so it would be a matter of which aftermarket one. I would spend the extra $120 or so for the American that way it's not permanent. I'd love to have a hitch but not at the cost of a permanent eyesore.
    The Curt hitch is only $200 on Amazon, so I'll probably go that route. I just worry that it won't fit under the diffuser cover with the ball mount removed.
    2003 540i/6

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Pretty sure Philly has a trailer hitch, hit him up for the details.

A few months ago I helped my son put a Curt on his Maxima and Honda Odyssey van. Nice construction and easy to install.
    Last edited by JimLev; 12-11-2018 at 09:30 AM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Hey Andy:

The Euro removeable 'gooseneck' (there are other metaphors to use for that thing but thats' the family friendly one) has pros and cons.

Agree the American one looks a bit chintzy but with the USA hitch its got what we call a standard 'box style receiver' so it can take various accessories that are sold in the us to slide into the receiver - most notably those rear bike racks or rear cargo shelf / platforms. Those are kinda cool and a nice 'short of hauling a trailer' option... I have a HFT one (unfortunately our trailer hitch car is never around so I never get to use it but that's a different story...) You can't fit that stuff if you get the Gucci Euro hitches, however the Euro hitches are very tidy when the gooseneck is removed.

There's definitely a good handful of people who've done em so there should be some good info out there.

As to the Euro factory one, you can go look at some of JoeKitch's threads from a year or more ago. His threads are always 1/2 poopshow, so pour yourself a drink first, but I am pretty sure he bought the Euro hitch used from abroad, then retrofitted it. He had lots of issues with getting it done but in the end it worked enough that he could put a trailer on, fill it all of 25% full, and drive it to California.

Oh and Scottieducati has one too that he just did a year or two ago, don't recall what hitch he used. Not sure if he did much of a thread on it or not, but I know he has pix of what it took to pull it off... if he hasn't posted them then he's texted 'em to me at some point, I remember they had to spend a good bit of time using various cutting tools to chop out the bumper support beam to fit the hitch but I think he's all sorted now.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh - and both those guys are Touring dudes, not sure how much that matters, bumper is slightly different of course but I imagine most of the feedback and principles are the same...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    I wanted a class II hitch on my e34 so I used Reese 88001 multi-fit receiver hitch and slightly modified the brackets to fit the e34. I'll probably do the same on the e39.
    demet

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i6
    Don’t buy the Curt hitch you have to drill in to your spare tire pan to mount it and it’s not designed to handle load like that. I’ve seen a handful of E39s come through the shop with the pan metal ripped because of them. Definitely go with one of the euro options that bolts to the frame.

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Thanks for the info on the Curt hitch. Probably crossing that one off the list. That box style receiver opens up some options though.

I remember seeing Scottiducati's name on some of the posts I looked up. I just couldn't remember where exactly. Also, anything touring I came across, I didn't really look too far into since it uses a different tow bar. Thanks for JoeKitch's name. Looks like he got a lot of answers that I'm looking for.

At times I think it's funny when threads get hijacked or trail off, but it's kind of frustrating when you're looking up 'started threads'.

I was able to find an ebay seller with the Eurostyle hitch. I can probably find a box adapter too.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towbar-To...?&shqty=1#shId

Oh yeah.. gooseneck.. heh... heh..
    2003 540i/6

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-cross-country

Some pics of mine in post 9. Super solid and 2" std usa square. More work but less cost. Very strong.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    I made my own 2" receiver by using a Bosal euro hitch, cutting the plates, and then welding on a 2" hitch tube. Hitch was like $150 or less delivered from amazon.DE

Nothing available in 2" stateside. I wanted bumper support mounting.

Really strong design.

Attachment 618299
    Attachment 618300
    Attachment 618301

After Jim's comment, I was hoping you'd chime in.
    Fabricating one from scratch was where my mind was wandering on the way home from work today. I do like your method better. That receiver is only like $20 and I have the resources to modify it.

I tried searching Bosal and couldn't find a compatible towbar for the M bumper. However, since I'd be modifying it anyway, I don't think it'll matter much.
    2003 540i/6