Thread: P0012 Code, stalling, loud whining noise, and rough idle

My Cars
    2007 328XI

P0012 Code, stalling, loud whining noise, and rough idle

Has anyone had this issue? What was your route in fixing it? Any insights would be so helpful!

BMW 328xi 2007

Symptoms so far....

P0012. This code came on after the check engine light came on. Camshaft positioning issue.

U0100. Cleared that one yesterday. Hasn’t come back. Miscommunication between the PCM and ECM. Voltage issues can be a trigger and I was aware my voltage was off because the heating was not getting enough of power intermittently.

Rough idle. Intermittent.

Stalling. Stalling will occur coming to a stop at a stop sign. If I apply light gas while at a stop the voltage is enough that it doesn’t stall. It’s feels to be the unstable voltage.

IMPORTANT to mention that voltage on the battery is very unstable. Key words very unstable. This was measured with a multimeter on the battery. The measurements fluctuate rapidly between 000 to 13.8 with accessories ( heat, radio, headlights ) on.

The sound is coming from the passenger side underneath the engine and seems to come from the center position. Video I made to show the sound the car is making...

https://youtu.be/WSkDJbExk4g

My Cars
    E90- Prev(E21s,E30s,E28)
    What is the mileage?
    The whistling sound sounds like the bad valve cover "PCV" vent membrane I once had in my VW... (on the Bimmer it sits on top toward the end of the valve cover just whereabouts you go with the mic), I would remove the engine cover and investigate. If this is it, you would resolve your rough idle. (not to mention possibly an emissions related code).
    The rest of those "electrical gremlins", I dunno , I'll let the gurus help
    Last edited by gusm325; 12-10-2018 at 09:22 PM.

My Cars
    2007 328XI
    Quote Originally Posted by gusm325 View Post
    What is the mileage?
    The whistling sound sounds like the bad valve cover "PCV" vent membrane I once had in my VW... (on the Bimmer it sits on top toward the end of the valve cover just whereabouts you go with the mic), I would remove the engine cover and investigate. If this is it, you would resolve your rough idle. (not to mention possibly an emissions related code).
    The rest of those "electrical gremlins", I dunno , I'll let the gurus help
    The mileage is just short of 200k.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Must start with the electrical. The car is useless if you don't have a good batter and terminal connectivity.
    Was the related battery connector recall addressed?

Other issues can easily be tied in... at least some of them.

My Cars
    2007 328XI
    The whining sound isn’t immediate. It will take up to 10-15 minutes for it to start. Sometimes longer.

My Cars
    2007 328XI
    Quote Originally Posted by Codes2 View Post
    Must start with the electrical. The car is useless if you don't have a good batter and terminal connectivity.
    Was the related battery connector recall addressed?

Other issues can easily be tied in... at least some of them.
    Battery connecter recall? That is an excellent question.

I replaced the postive battery cable about six months ago. It has the trigger in it when the airbags go off to cut power? That is the part I replaced.

Thanks for the insight.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake1987 View Post
    Battery connecter recall? That is an excellent question.

I replaced the postive battery cable about six months ago. It has the trigger in it when the airbags go off to cut power? That is the part I replaced.

Thanks for the insight.

Your car may be different that the ones I had the recall for (2008 335i, 2008 335si, 2010 328xi).
    I recommend calling any dealer and providing the VIN, just inquiring about any potential recalls.

Did you replace the cable yourself?
    Were there ever similar voltage issues prior to changing it?

My Cars
    E90- Prev(E21s,E30s,E28)
    The whining sound isn’t immediate. It will take up to 10-15 minutes for it to start. Sometimes longer.

Here...
    https://cdn2.pelicanparts.com/more_i...09719-4256.jpg

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm

My Cars
    99 M3 + 2010 Lexus IS350
    I'm having the exact same problem with my 2009 328i: rough idle, whistling noise, stalling. Coincidentally I just had the PCV heater recall done a week ago. Do you think this is related? Did the dealer screw up my car? Thanks.

My Cars
    2007 328xi
    I had the exact problem with my 328xi a few months ago. It was the PCV valve that is built into the engine valve cover. I was a pain, but there are plenty of videos on youtube that show you how to replace it. I had all the symptoms that you describe, and the new valve cover fixed them.

My Cars
    2007 328xi
    You might be able to save a lot of money if you replace the pcv valve on the existing valve cover. The pcv valve is glued onto the valve cover and isn't meant to be removed, but there are some tutorials on how to do it if you google it.

My Cars
    328xi wagon

Same model, same problem

Has anyone had this issue? What was your route in fixing it? Any insights would be so helpful!

BMW 328xi 2007

Symptoms so far....

P0012. This code came on after the check engine light came on. Camshaft positioning issue.

U0100. Cleared that one yesterday. Hasn’t come back. Miscommunication between the PCM and ECM. Voltage issues can be a trigger and I was aware my voltage was off because the heating was not getting enough of power intermittently.

Rough idle. Intermittent.

Stalling. Stalling will occur coming to a stop at a stop sign. If I apply light gas while at a stop the voltage is enough that it doesn’t stall. It’s feels to be the unstable voltage.

IMPORTANT to mention that voltage on the battery is very unstable. Key words very unstable. This was measured with a multimeter on the battery. The measurements fluctuate rapidly between 000 to 13.8 with accessories ( heat, radio, headlights ) on.

The sound is coming from the passenger side underneath the engine and seems to come from the center position. Video I made to show the sound the car is making...

https://youtu.be/WSkDJbExk4g
    I have an ‘07 328xi wagon. Bought from elderly woman 2 years ago with only 27k miles! I’m now at 67k. About once every 6 months the car would randomly stall after a few hours of high speed travel. As I decelerated to exit and came to a stop, it just stalled. It is so quiet I wouldn’t know it except power steering was gone. It immediately restarts and problem doesn’t occur again for months. No other symptoms, no codes, no engine lights- nothing.
    This past weekend it happened after 5 hours on the highway as I slowed when I hit traffic. Same evperience as before, only when I restarted it idled so roughly I thought it was going to stall out. It didn’t but it sure felt like it. Rough idle continued for next several days. When we left town, same experience- driving high speed on freeway no problem, but when I came to a stop it stalled. Every time. Rough idle continued. Engine light came on.
    Made it home and next day rough idle continued as did stalling every time I slowed to a stop- and this was low speed, stop and go city driving. Mechanic pulled code P00012. He cleared it and said to see if it returned. Next day I fill car with gas and notice problem is gone. Rough idle and stalling both gone. Car seems back to normal. No more engine light or code.
    Now I’m realizing I filled up with gas at same station coming and going. Wondering if bad gas was the issue or aggravated and worsened the weird random stall issue. Another thought- where we went was 25-30 degrees warmer (88 in February). Could hot weather aggravate problem?
    Something was/is up but seems incredibly difficult to figure out.
    Anyone have any ideas?

My Cars
    BMW 328xi
    Having same problem and slowly troubleshooting. let me know if any changes on your end.