RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Car Door Lock

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325ci

Car Door Lock

So Recently my 2002 BMW 325ci won’t unlock. The batteries died in the key fobs and I’ve been opening the door manually. But today when I went out to the car, the key turned but there was no click from the lock. I have tried everything at my disposal and I can’t figure out how to get into my car without breaking something. The key just turns. AAA couldn’t even get my car to unlock using their tools. I can open the trunk, but since my car is a convertible there is a metal back to the seats. Can anyone help?

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    It depends on what the problem is.

IF the battery is dead, then just give power at the battery, since you can open the trunk), and the key should unlock the door.

Of course, you COULD cut open one of your dead keys, and put in a new battery, and glue it back together.

A good BMW shop with a "Big Easy" tool set can open the door using the release handle inside, or the door lock button inside. (I had to do this to an X5 last Friday.)

And you'll be wanting to replace the driver's door lock unit, with T-bar, which can be ordered from a dealership, with your license and registration.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325ci

Big Easy Tool Set

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    It depends on what the problem is.

IF the battery is dead, then just give power at the battery, since you can open the trunk), and the key should unlock the door.

Of course, you COULD cut open one of your dead keys, and put in a new battery, and glue it back together.

A good BMW shop with a "Big Easy" tool set can open the door using the release handle inside, or the door lock button inside. (I had to do this to an X5 last Friday.)

And you'll be wanting to replace the driver's door lock unit, with T-bar, which can be ordered from a dealership, with your license and registration.
    Can you give me more information on this tool set? I called a couple shops and they didn’t know what it was.

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    google can help - https://www.steckmfg.com/Lockout.htm

pretty common amongst shops, locksmiths, first responders, etc.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yep, that's the one.

Still, I don't recommend that you buy one, personally. It's an expensive tool set, and only good for one thing. AND, you have to pretty much know the vehicle, and how it works.

And then, of course, because you get the vehicle open doesn't mean that it will start. The anto theft systems just might be really pissed off, after you break in....and you won't have the computer to calm them down....

And you're still going to need a driver's door lock unit, and someone to install it....

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1

On BMW's built after mid-90's the door locks started to become very weak, as they were never intended to be used on a daily basis. This also causes a problem as it is to deter auto theft for the locks will break to keep a thief out.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Chris, I'm assuming the "T-bar" is the metal rod that connects the lock cylinder to the lock actuator?

Guess what, I've seen these break. And guess what else, every time, it was on a car that the keyless entry stopped working on, and the customer used the lock cylinder to lock/unlock the car every time.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Why are BMW door locks so fragile?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Because Marc, they are designed for emergency use only. On the E-36, early E-39/46 you could replace the battery in the FOB, however when they came out with the diamond key, that wasn't possible. Of course they learned from that, so the E-9x cars or about YM-06/07 went back to the FOB with a replaceable battery.

Like every automotive manufacturer, they learn from the past mistakes and attempt to do better on the next model.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Chris, I'm assuming the "T-bar" is the metal rod that connects the lock cylinder to the lock actuator?

Guess what, I've seen these break. And guess what else, every time, it was on a car that the keyless entry stopped working on, and the customer used the lock cylinder to lock/unlock the car every time.
    Yes indeed, my friend. As both you and Darin have stated, BMWs of this generation weren't designed for key use, in the door lock. I too, have replaced a bunch, and the remote functions are always defunct.

Those who are too cheap to order a key from the dealer are going to have to end up ordering keys, lock, and then paying the labor too. And, on an X5, they'll have yanked on the door handle carrier enough times to break that, too!

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Gotta put in a plug for an friend's company, Lock Technology. Order kit # LT-140 I know Matco sells it, probably Snappy too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Because Marc, they are designed for emergency use only. On the E-36, early E-39/46 you could replace the battery in the FOB, however when they came out with the diamond key, that wasn't possible. Of course they learned from that, so the E-9x cars or about YM-06/07 went back to the FOB with a replaceable battery.

Like every automotive manufacturer, they learn from the past mistakes and attempt to do better on the next model.
    Why are you making excuses for a crappy assembly.
    Last edited by ross1; 12-14-2018 at 08:28 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I am not making any excuses for BMW, as it is as I stated, emergency use only, it even says it in the owner's manual:
    Manual operation
    In the event of electrical malfunction
    Turn the key all the way to the left or
    right to unlock or lock the driver's door.

There are people out there that have taken this failure to create a niche work like this guy: www.bmwgm5.com Starting at 60 bucks he can rebuild a diamond key.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member