Thread: Temp Gauge instantly goes in the red

My Cars
    2001 e38

Temp Gauge instantly goes in the red

Hello All, my son and I just finished replacing the engine on our '01 740iL and bought it non running. Now that it's running we get to find out all the other things wrong with the car . The one problem I can't figure out is the temperature gauge immediately goes full hot when the key is turned to run and the computer reads 298 degrees (checked with a scan tool), I believe this indicates an "Open" ? It's a new temp sensor and tried two other known temp sensors to make sure. I've researched the issue but can't locate the problem, don't want it to be the cluster (IKE?) I've done so far;

1. New sensor and checked with other used sensors
    2. Unplugged the battery for 30 minutes
    3. Cleaned the terminals
    4. Checked for corrosion at the ECM

I am about to dig up the wires from the sensor to the ECM looking for a break.

Thank you in advance

My Cars
    2001 740iL, 2001 325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by MBruneaux View Post
    Hello All, my son and I just finished replacing the engine on our '01 740iL and bought it non running. Now that it's running we get to find out all the other things wrong with the car . The one problem I can't figure out is the temperature gauge immediately goes full hot when the key is turned to run and the computer reads 298 degrees (checked with a scan tool), I believe this indicates an "Open" ? It's a new temp sensor and tried two other known temp sensors to make sure. I've researched the issue but can't locate the problem, don't want it to be the cluster (IKE?) I've done so far;

1. New sensor and checked with other used sensors
    2. Unplugged the battery for 30 minutes
    3. Cleaned the terminals
    4. Checked for corrosion at the ECM

I am about to dig up the wires from the sensor to the ECM looking for a break.

Thank you in advance
    My gut would be either option 4 or likely your closing comment about "dig up the wires from the sensor to the ECM". I've had the Trans Failsafe Error because of a tiny break in the insulation on the wire to the ...thermostat(?). But it was grounding to the block and triggering the error. As you likely know, on these older vehicles, that plastic insulation - after years and years of heating up and cooling down, if you even look at them too hard, the insulation can crack and either break the wire or expose it to grounding.

That would be my guess. Good luck.

Jay
    '01 325Ci Convertible, 5-speed
    '01 740iL, Stahlblau with beige interior & 18" M-Pars, GROM bluetooth
    '03 X5 3.0 six cyl, Gray on gray

My Cars
    2001 740iL Prod 4/2000
    Here's a shot in the dark... I think I remember a old post about the same circumstance, but I can't find it now.
    Seems the owner swapped two connectors, possibly the coolant sensor and thermostat map connection on reassembly
    doing tcg's. Swapped them around to correct the issue.

If it wasn't raining like big dogs I'd go check my '01 to see if that is even possible.
    Maybe someone with a memory can chime in.

My Cars
    2001 750il Chrome line
    The connections on my 00' are different. When I had this problem it was the temp sensor on the water pump. As you did an engine swap I would be checking the wiring.
    01' 750il Chromeline
    95 M3 LS swapped
    07 M5 Manual
    06' M5, Spartan wheels and a 507hp V10
    00' 740il Dinan, CAI, Romulus exhaust, Stage 5 engine and transmission tune, 750 brakes, camber plates, strut tower brace. Sold
    00' 323i wagon for daughter
    03' 525i wagon for the wife, sold
    98' 740i for the daughter, wrecked
    92' 525i with over 200k, wrecked
    02' R1200 CLC, hit by a bus and broken in half. That one made the news!
    It's like herpes there is no cure but if treated properly you can live with it for the rest of your life

My Cars
    2001 e38
    I plugged in the original temp sensor and the condition was still present. What gets me is, the circuit that feeds the gauge is separate from the circuit that feeds the ECM. So that would mean we have TWO bad wires. The only thing they share is the two way Temp sensor......

My Cars
    2001 e38
    It was the &%%@$# sensor.... Replaced the battery, replaced the new sensor with an old one and it worked. Don't know why it didn't work before but it does.

Thank you everyone

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    If you tested the sensor not screwed into the water pump, it may not have had a good ground and would have registered as an open circuit. I don't think it can be hanging there... Glad to hear you got it worked out.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2001 e38
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    If you tested the sensor not screwed into the water pump, it may not have had a good ground and would have registered as an open circuit. I don't think it can be hanging there... Glad to hear you got it worked out.
    I believe that is what happened..