Thread: Z3 Convertible Top Advice.

My Cars
    2002 3.0 Z3

Z3 Convertible Top Advice.

Hey Guy's I just bought a new top for a my 2002 3.0 Z3 I got about a month ago. This actual top https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z3-Conv...72.m2749.l2649

My question is when I bought it I thought it was a clear window. But its a light green tint. I emailed the seller who has already shipped it and told them I wanted a black top "clear" window. The seller responded and said all original tops came with light green tint window from factory. Also said I wouldn't be able to tell when I installed it. My question is, (1) is this actually true? (2) What are the benefits of having a light green tint vs clear? (3) Will it look clean/clear if I choose to install it and not send it back?

Thanks I just don't know what to expect, maybe it won't look bad at all I don't know what to think. Maybe it will look better than a clear vinyl.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    My original window had the green tint. Not sure what if any benefit there was. I replaced with a clear but don’t think I would have cared wither way. The green seemed pretty subtle to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    I believe the stock back window is said to have a green tint, but in actual use I don't believe you will notice it. Also the windshield is described as having a green stripe at the top, but I can't see it.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe458 View Post
    Hey Guy's I just bought a new top for a my 2002 3.0 Z3 I got about a month ago. This actual top https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Z3-Conv...72.m2749.l2649
    My question is when I bought it I thought it was a clear window. But its a light green tint. I emailed the seller who has already shipped it and told them I wanted a black top "clear" window. The seller responded and said all original tops came with light green tint window from factory. Also said I wouldn't be able to tell when I installed it. My question is, (1) is this actually true? (2) What are the benefits of having a light green tint vs clear? (3) Will it look clean/clear if I choose to install it and not send it back?
    Thanks I just don't know what to expect, maybe it won't look bad at all I don't know what to think. Maybe it will look better than a clear vinyl.
    The eBay ad does say the window is green. I bought two factory windows that I could not install, and when laid out on a white washing machine, their plastic had a faint tint. They did not look tinted outdoors when I was trying to zip them into the top.

I ended buying a GAHH top, which says it's window is "with a very slight tint similar to the original." But I can't tell that it is tinted.
    https://www.gahh.com/convertible-top...plastic-window
    Last edited by Vintage42; 12-09-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed

OEM window.

The green is much less noticeable when on the car though.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I just replaced my top with BMW parts; ugh, I coulda bought four of those eBay tops for the BMW canvas price. My original 2000 vintage top had a green tinted window, but the new OEM "convertible top boot" rear window is clear. Which is odd, since replacement rear windows appear to have a green tint. The original rear window always looked a little strange to me since it was significantly "greener" than the side glass, but maybe the original plastic had darkened with age or UV. While I'm very happy with how the new BMW top canvas fits and looks, the rear window is still kinda wavy from how it was folded for shipping. Hopefully it'll flatten out after a few episodes in the hot sun this summer, otherwise I'll probably end up zipping in an Emiata or OEM replacement.

I'll be adding top install photos to my M Roadster journal sometime soon. Vinci's installation instructions were great, but some things were different on my car (I had a headliner for instance), and replacement BMW tops have changed. BMW tops no longer ship with a tack strip attached, making the high price of the genuine BMW part even less tolerable, but having the ability to zip in a new window was important to me.
    Last edited by CB750; 12-09-2018 at 08:18 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I just installed the Emiata window, with the slight tint, into my blue top. Once installed, the window looks clear. I wouldn't worry about it. .... My window was also wavy after install, but seems to be smoothing out after a couple of weeks. I just made sure the waves were perpendicular. When they are angled it means the window zipper didn't start on the right tooth.

My Cars
    2002 3.0 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by CB750 View Post
    I just replaced my top with BMW parts; ugh, I coulda bought four of those eBay tops for the BMW canvas price. My original 2000 vintage top had a green tinted window, but the new OEM "convertible top boot" rear window is clear. Which is odd, since replacement rear windows appear to have a green tint. The original rear window always looked a little strange to me since it was significantly "greener" than the side glass, but maybe the original plastic had darkened with age or UV. While I'm very happy with how the new BMW top canvas fits and looks, the rear window is still kinda wavy from how it was folded for shipping. Hopefully it'll flatten out after a few episodes in the hot sun this summer, otherwise I'll probably end up zipping in an Emiata or OEM replacement.

I'll be adding top install photos to my M Roadster journal sometime soon. Vinci's installation instructions were great, but some things were different on my car (I had a headliner for instance), and replacement BMW tops have changed. BMW tops no longer ship with a tack strip attached, making the high price of the genuine BMW part even less tolerable, but having the ability to zip in a new window was important to me.
    I have a headliner myself. Was it difficult to reuse the ordinal headliner, and did you reuse it?

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    My original headliner was done; I'm pretty sure the car had been in storage for a few years before I bought it, and the first time driving on the highway with the top up and the windows down the cabin filled with a cloud of headliner insulation bits. It still looked okay, but due to the insulation deterioration I wasn't going to reuse it.

Although I paid the high price for a BMW top, I unsuccessfully tried going with an aftermarket headliner from Autotopsdirect.com; the headliner fabric itself was fine, but the sew-in front plastic channel that snaps over bow #2 was way too small in diameter to fit over the bow with the BMW canvas flap wrapped around it. Despite their claim of:"Auto Tops Direct is confident that this headliner will fit your BMW right out of the box. If your installer cannot fit this to your vehicle, we will either replace it at no charge or give you a full refund, including shipping." they were unresponsive, which I have subsequently learned is their normal mode of operation when problems arise. I shipped the headliner back to them and requested a refund; they shipped it back to me without opening the box. Citibank posted a refund to my account after I filed a dispute. I strongly suggest avoiding Auto Tops Direct.

Since my car is a fair weather ride and the top is almost always down anyway, I ended up leaving the headliner off and went with standard BMW Z3 bow covers, which fit perfectly.
    Last edited by CB750; 12-12-2018 at 09:55 PM.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    You should start a new thread on here titled “autotopsdirect.com - buyers beware” detailing your experience. I think more owners would see it than those visiting this thread.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    I have a 2001 Z3 with the original top, never noticed it having any type of tint to the back window. I also have the hard top for it as well and that also doesn’t have a tinted back window.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I had an original top with a bad window. The window was perfect, but the black trim was coming off. It never occurred to me that the window was tinted. But then I ordered a new window and took the old one out. Laying on the top of a washing machine, both windows were faintly tinted.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 12-13-2018 at 09:36 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405