RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Oil sensors/gauges installation

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i

Oil sensors/gauges installation

I have been meaning to share this for a while but I had to take pics first, so here it is: a few months ago I installed oil pressure + temp gauges in my car. I didn't feel comfortable about installing a sandwich plate in the oil filter housing, so I looked for another way of installing them, and had a turner make two adaptors that would allow me to install the sensors where shown on the pic.

It"s really basic stuff: a metal pipe with a female 1/8" thread to fit the sensors on one side and whatever dimension (can't remember but basically it's the same as the original bolt's) male "bolt" on the other side. One (obvious) thing that needs to be paid attention to is that the length of the bolt's thread has to be exactly the same as on the original bolt, to avoid damaging anything or creating metal debris inside the engine. The turner did not get that right so I had to use several copper o rings to adjust the length.

And for those who don't want to put the gauges on the a pillar or dash, here is an idea on where to put them
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    The generally accepted location for achieving this information is at the oil filter housing, where the original sender plugs in. Taking that data from the vanos oil line may or may not be accurate, and may or may not interfere with vanos. I've never seen it done in this locaion. and wouldn't do it there myself.

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Gauges-D...ing-Block.html

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    I had compared the readings to the expected operating temp at the time (+/- 95°C) and they match. At highway speeds with low revs they drop to +/- 80°depending on ambient temp. They also are coherent with coolant temp once the oil has reached its operating temp, which is what's to be expected as well as far as I know.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    I had compared the readings to the expected operating temp at the time (+/- 95°C) and they match. At highway speeds with low revs they drop to +/- 80°depending on ambient temp. They also are coherent with coolant temp once the oil has reached its operating temp, which is what's to be expected as well as far as I know.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I tapped the banjo bolt for the oil line fitting on the vanos hose the bottom banjo bolt