Thread: 02 325i won’t start

My Cars
    2002 325i

02 325i won’t start

2002 325i

It started with poor performance. Spent $300 on a transmission fluid change that was apparently needed. Yet there was still ‘lag’, when I would try to take off from a dead stop, it wouldn’t respond immediately to the throttle. While pressing the throttle, there was a feeling of vibration under the passenger floorboard/all over, then it would seem to “lock in” and take off with no problem.

Then I discovered an oil leak. I narrowed that down to be what I believe is the valve cover gasket. Thinking that the ccv system failed and caused that.
    I’ve run it far too low on oil once, filled it back up, and it had been leaking for a couple weeks before what brought me here.

About a month ago, I took it for a normal less than 2 mile drive, and it sat for a couple hours at most. When I got back in it to try and leave, it would crank and crank but not turn over. When the key is in the on position I can’t seem to hear the fuel pump running, even with the back seat off.

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    Remove the access cover for the fuel pump on the passenger side and tap the top of the fuel pump retaining ring while cranking being careful not to hit the fuel line and break the nipple. If the car starts, replace the pump and filter. Use vdo pump. Should cost $140-150. Fcp euro has a lifetime warranty on everything they sell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Appreciate it man. Will give that a try here soon. Had somebody blindly hit it but I knew that was probably the method that would break it more than help.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org. The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME = digital motor electronics) and the automatic transmission computer (EGS) for codes. A shop
    listed on that website will have the proper software to scan all the computers in your car. If the problem turns out to be a bad fuel pump make sure the shop installs only a pump made by Siemens/VDO. Why? That company supplies fuel pumps to BMW. Also, the fuel filter should be replaced whenever the fuel pump is replaced. Filter brands are Mahle and Keyser.

What shop did the transmission fluid change? AAMCO? BMW automatic transmissions are finicky when it comes to refilling the fluid. The transmission’s temperature has to be within a temperature range to accurately refill it. Be advised that BMW sourced automatic transmissions from GM of France and ZF of Germany. They are different transmissions and require different fluids. The ZF transmission has a rubbed fluid pan. The GM transmission has a smooth fluid pan.

My Cars
    2002 325i
    Took it to a smaller mom and pop shop. Probably a mistake. I’m trying not to spend a fortune and currently it isn’t running so taking it to a shop involves a tow as well. Just leave it to the pros?

My Cars
    01 E46 330i 5sp man spor
    It's a very easy job. If you go to a shop you will get a bill for minimum $500 and a cheap Chinese part from the local store. For under $200 you can get a oem (vdo) pump, new filter and clamp for pump outlet. Watch some videos about it and see what you think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The first step in diagnosing a problem is to have the engine computer (DME=digital motor electronics) and the transmission computer (EGS) scanned for codes. The fuel rail (the fuel injectors plug into the fuel rail) has a test valve at which you can check the fuel pressure (item#2 in the link is the cap). Fuel pressure has to be at least 50psi at all engine speeds.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_0900

Check your receipt from the shop that changed the transmission fluid and filter. What brand of fluid did the shop put in the transmission? How many quarts of transmission fluid were put in the transmission?