Thread: DME EWS Synch

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3

DME EWS Synch

Can someone help me figure out how to synch a used DME to the current EWS that's in my car?

Can INPA, PA, DIS, or Simon be used to do this? If so which is the best!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    None of those is ever remotely gonna do it . It’s not a “sync” problem either it’s well more than that. The DME needs to be bench read and rewritten.

Is your old DME alive at all? Or is it a complete brick?

The best thing in a case like this is to simply clone your old DME to the used one, but it requires bench flash setup. You can also virginize the ‘new’one and then sync it. I do it for guys, but I don’t do it free (anymore that is...it’s as much a “Dbag” screener as anything else). Other reputable guys can as well.

- - - Updated - - -

What car is this BTW? This ain’t the ZeeTreyLand so I assume it’s an E39 of some sort?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    Well I'm swapping an M54b30 from a E39 into a z3 that currently has an m44 in it. Both cars are fully functional.

I have been doing some digging and found out that for the MS43 DME there is a way to flash a 512 kb dump with EWS deleted using JMGarage. Then you can use gellato to extract the partial 64kb dump and tune the 64kb partial dump using tuner pro.

My concern is that the z3 came with an older DME and there will be errors thrown because the z3 doesnt have things such as DSC module and that can throw the car into 'limp mode'

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    I'm mostly getting my information from "biggest ms43 tuning thread ever! Incl software..." that can be found on e46 fanatics

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    LOL. Not gelato. Galetto.

Ok. You should have said all that to start. When you’re working on a whackadoodle swap situation it’s best to give all the info. (That’s not a shot - I’m fully supportive of your swap...)

Had you said that in first place I’d have said yes probably EWS delete is easiest route. You could try to “virginize” that DME of its EWS fingerprint then pair with your Z3, and in that case your EWS would work again, but that’s more work and hassle and not a lot of guys are truly worried about a full on extreme theft situation.

But id say what you also want to do is first just flash that DME with the factory correct program for a M54B30 Z3.

Since that car existed it’s far and away best to flash that and then work from there. But you still might have trouble w the ABS. What ABS does an M54 Z have vs your ‘97 M44 car? Often the ABS likes a specific DME program & calibration to work right. If the ABS (ie ASC) is the same unit or similar or even not too tough upgradable then you’re golden. For sure the E39 program that’s on there now is gonna be looking for a Bosch 5.7 DSC. I’m not sure it’ll go into full limp mode to be honest, if it doesn’t see any ABS it might work reasonably fine, but if it gets weird and incomplete CAN bus data vs what it expects then yes sure that might be a limpy issue.
    Last edited by geargrinder; 12-09-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    Lol my bad on the spelling, smh!

You're right, I should have included more information and I hadnt figured out any of that stuff I posted till after I posted the orginal thread. I am completely okay with having the ews deleted as this is just a project fun car and not a daily.

My problem is I have no idea where to get a stock z3 m54b30 dme dump. I'd rather not send my dme to get that tune if I'll be flashing and doing everything else at home.

What's the best way to determine what DSC and ASC the cars have? To be honest I would be completely okay without having it enabled if there was a way the car would still be fully functional.

Are there anything else like the DSC and ASC that I should be concerned with? I still need to dig deeper but I think the m44 and m54 had different pedal actuation. One was by cable and the other by wire.

Thanks!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Well step one would be take this up elsewhere.

This is ain’t an E39 issue really at all. It’s a swap and coding issue and if anything should be “homed” in the Z3 forum.

I mean not to be a dick I love helping guys w cool projects. It’s just NOBODY here (well no ok except Bimmer Breaker but that’s just him and a fluke) is gonna be all eggspurted on Z3 stuff. If you kick another thread off post a link here I’ll still be happy to participate .

In meantime. Some bonus answers.

- All the stock programs are easily available to anybody who is pro with WinKFP. Some are also posted in
    bianry form in places. The Z3 3.0 should be easily available I’m sure I could do it in 10minutes. Using that is probably gonna be 10x easier than stating with a wrong tune and trying to hand tweak all the parameters needed.
    - For it sure the Z3 doesn’t have the same late E39 Bosch 5.7 DSC. But I am also sure 100 Z3nuts could tell you immediately if the ‘97 M44 uses same ASC as the M54 Z3. Axe over there. Buncha guys gotta know.
    - OK. You really don’t know what you don’t know do you? No offense but you are bit naive at moment. You MUST go full DBW to run the M54. No cable throttle at all. Fly by wire pedal. A bunch of other stuff too. The easiest thing would be to get the full Z3 3.0 wiring harness. Without that you gonna have a bunch of work. Doable but a good bit of work.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    Here's, a thread I started earlier. The original post is slightly outdated now that I have this new information but I feel like it is an okay place to 'home' it. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...wiring-DME-EWS

I'll post this reply here and then feel free to reply on the other thread!

I know you're not being a dick, you are helping me out a ton, so you are quite the opposite. You are 100% right, I am a bit naive as this is my first swap ever. I am an engineering student at a Uni and on the FSAE team but those cars are so much different than 'real' cars. I am trying to get as much information as I can out of the experts on this forum! I know that once I start taking things apart I will realize all the things that are different and have better questions to ask but I really wanted to get as much research done before I start ripping everything apart, if that makes sense.

What do you mean by the stock programs being easily available to someone who is good with WinKFP?

I tried looking for some stock .bin files but I wasn't able to find any that used MS430056. The reason I want to use version 56 is that there seems to be the most support for it. Also I have a M54B30 512kb .bin file that has ews already deleted that I got from the thread I mentioned earlier.

One thing that is also confusing me is that I had thought that the 'last' 64kb or the partial dump of the 512kb .bin file was the 'tune' but I have seen a lot of partial dumps as 32kb?

I was planning on getting the full Z3 3.0 wiring harness. I found these two wiring harnesses on realoem in the engine electrical systems. Are there more wiring harnesses that I will need to get that aren't engine related?

Just did some digging on the pedal and I might be able to get away with just getting the accelerator pedal sensor and the accompanying lever and connecting rod.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Z3Bearman; 12-09-2018 at 03:03 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Tons of info out there on WinKFP. It was an in house bmw software used by factory developers engineers and QC etc to flash DME’s and AGS/EGS (TCUs) with new software. You can find it, and the data files to support it, lots of places. By data files I mean the factory tunes. It’s all out there.

Yeah re: the MS43 wiki versions blah blah. Ok. You’re reading those threads and sites which are written 99% for and by E46 dudes. While it is entirely right that you would want to be on the “main public supported version of the code” were we talking any E46 type swap, you actually have a bunch of other stuff to sort out.

The questions to answer are....
    1. is there a Z3 3.0 flash that matches the public mapping - if so great. Ideal. BTW that doesn't mean same as the public bin it just means shares the mapping layout of the public bin.
    ...if not...
    2. (already said this) Which is which is less hassle and shorter route to a working car:
    - flash one of the Z3 factory M54B30 tune, even if not all the maps for tunerpro XDF match up, so when you want to tweak some other crap you have to go figure it out....
    Or...
    - flash the E46 MS43 wiki version and pray you can find and figure out the fields and edits to make it work for your Z3.

Now if some E36/7 + MS43 pro says that the base E46 software (that “version 56” that the public domain stuff uses although that number’s an oversimplification) works fine on your platform then great. I’d just advise caution and skepticism. Prett sure the E46 ABS modules aren’t same as the E36 derived stuff you’ll have for instance.

Frankly somebody might have the answer and may have done this swap but short of that right now I’d bet on the Z3 flash option. WTF do you think you need the XDF tuning for anyway... getting the car running well and properly quickly, and THEN sort out some other tweaks later if you have to, is way better than “derp derp my car don’t run right but I have the hex address of the field to edit the cold start idle fuel enrichment derpderp!!”

If it was my own project I'd prob check the program versions and compare the binaries see if theres a chance that any of the Z3 3.0 versions match up to the E46 program that's mapped. If so then you're asking me good shape but figuring that out from first principles will be a bit of PITA and require combing through data files and binaries probably. Don't ask me how to do that, I'd prob try several things but it'd mostly be a bunch of work reading hex and trying to find version codes in the flash files and stuff as well as some binary compares of the versions to see if both seem to have the same kind of data mapped in same locations.

FWIW I’ve worked w the MS43wiki stuff a couple times including an M52TUB28 block into M54B25 car swap - and it seems to mostly work.

Re: file sizes - different hardware ECUs have different full and partial flash sizes. So your M44 prob has a bitty 32k partial. Has to do with size of the flash chip on the board.. Partial flashes are totally incompatible across hardware and even same hardware (size) but different SW versions. That's what all the version crap is about.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and re wiring harness. Again. Can't say. Really it's an E36/7 expert question. Hopefully the engine harness would be most of it but maybe you need some other bits like the wires into the accelerator pot. Maybe the old car body harness is missing a few things you need to handwire. I dunno.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former: