Thread: E36 Cabin Water Leak.

My Cars
    Bmw e36 & e30

E36 Cabin Water Leak.

Hello , I have a 4-Door E36.
    When it rains heavily i get a water leak in my cabin.
    The leak is located on the Driver (left) side, and the water somehow goes into the left Wind shield pillar.
    It seems to be seeping in somewhere above my left shoulder , at the top of the pillar. And then it runs down the pillar to my dash.
    Now this isn't a HEAVY water leak, i just feel the pillar padding getting wet all the way from top to bottom.

Now i think that the water is coming in from the the roof of the car where the rubber seal above the wind shield and the rubber seal of the door meet. Because there is a chip in the rubber (on the wind shield one ).

I will take a few pictures and post them tomorrow to see if it helps at all.

Does anyone have any experiences with this sort of problems?

Whats the most likely place that the leak is coming from, and is there something specific i should change or just all the seals (which seems like a lot of work, cause i think i need to take out my windshield in order to change one of them).

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Most likely spot will be from the sunroof, because the drains are clogged. The drain holes for the sunroof are tiny (~1/4"), and ANYTHING will clog them. Open the sunroof, and pour a cup of water into the front most corner, and see whether it drains quickly and correctly out underneath the front fender. If not, you need to use compressed air to blow out these drains, carefully. You can see the drain holes in each corner of the sunroof cassette if you look carefully. The sunroof seal does not prevent water from entering; the sunroof drains are there to drain what comes in.

IF the windshield has been replaced, it's possible for it to be leaking. The "seal" you see around the windshield does not keep water out - the windshield is GLUED in place, and the glue keeps the water out.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    My e36 leaks between the heater/air conditioning box and firewall seal. Check and clear the drains of leaves on the windshield cowling area as well.
    Surprisingly the sunroof drain system was fine.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I was going by the "above my left shoulder".......

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    Bmw e36 & e30
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    I was going by the "above my left shoulder".......

Yes, i think it will most likely be from the sunroof drains , since the wind shield was not replaced. (Atleast i think it was not).

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Be advised that the engine DME sits in a compartment at the base of the windshield on the right. I neglected a similar water leak into the cabin that resulted in the DME compartment flooding with predictable results.
    Until this is fixed don't park the car with the right side low

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue