Thread: What to do first on a 98 740il with 103xxx miles?

My Cars
    1998 740il

What to do first on a 98 740il with 103xxx miles?

Hey folks. Just brought home a 1998 740il. Only put 300 miles on it so far, the majority of it driving back from purchase. The car seems to have been driven very gently. However, it is learning the habits of it's new master well. So my question is, what are the popular first projects for these cars? I've decided that if the beast is still running smoothly a year from now, I'm going to entertain supercharger installation. That being said, I'm a big fan of adding "whoa" before getting more "go". What vendors do you cats use? Guess I have a lot of questions....
    Anyways, glad to be here, and good to meet all of you.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Ernie View Post
    Hey folks. Just brought home a 1998 740il. Only put 300 miles on it so far, the majority of it driving back from purchase. The car seems to have been driven very gently. However, it is learning the habits of it's new master well. So my question is, what are the popular first projects for these cars? I've decided that if the beast is still running smoothly a year from now, I'm going to entertain supercharger installation. That being said, I'm a big fan of adding "whoa" before getting more "go". What vendors do you cats use? Guess I have a lot of questions....
    Anyways, glad to be here, and good to meet all of you.
    I really enjoy these guys, I've yet to find a place with better service or quicker shipping:

http://rmeuropean.com

You should look into replacing suspension bushings with OE parts plus the rest of your suspension with how you see fit. Should start on basic maintenance. With 100k miles, it's probably a good idea to go through your entire cooling system too. Water pump, raidiator, hoses, clamps, expansion tank, etc. No use having a fast car if you can't drive it.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1998 740il
    The car came with an assortment of parts. All shocks/struts, control arms, suspension parts, etc. Haven't done a complete inventory of all the bits. I believe the power steering hoses are grumpy, and leak a bit. Also sounds like the electric fan in front of the radiator has a bearing on the way out. I was thinking of buying one of the radiator kits and running with that. The car was maintained at the dealer somewhat. I have dates of the car being "serviced," but nothing stating what was actually done. Only put about 450 miles on the car (had it 4 days so far) so I haven't had time to discover any other issues.

- - - Updated - - -

And thanks for the link, Hova.

My Cars
    1998 740il
    4 Stagg shocks, a rear brake line and what appears to be a upper and lower control arms for the front.

My Cars
    1998 740il
    I've been perusing the forum for performance upgrades, and fuel injectors have caught my attention. Found a great Indy mechanic that focuses on foreign (European) cars. I'm planning on having him do an inspection on the car. He can alert me to what bits need replacing first, before I get too excited about performance. We will get the car tuned and running smoothly before I start trying to mash in other parts. Any thoughts on what brand of cold air intake?