My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0d Sport

Control module coding ??

Hi one and all

I have a 2002 BMW X5 3.0d E53 and I need to know if the rear self levelling module needs to be coded when replaced.

I bought a good used unit , but when I plug it in , the diagnostic software doesn't acknowledge that the car has self levelling suspension.

I have been told by several 'used parts dealers' that it is simply plug and play , but not in my case.

Cannot seem to find an honest answer on Google , so I am hoping that there are some technical gurus here.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    What is the BMW 11 digit part nbr of the control module you purchased. The X5 has TWO different self leveling suspensions...there's the rear axle only (EHC) and the dual axle system (EHC II). Each system uses a different control module (part nbr wise) so if you purhcased a used control module that is designed to be used with the dual axle (EHC II)...then it probably won't work on your X5.

You can verify if you have the correct part by using one of the online part databases...3 of my favs are listed below. Feel free to save/bookmark them if you are unfamiliar with any of them:

I'm assuming you need #13 in the diagram below...again, make sure you are shopping for the one that works with REAR AXLE self leveling only. If you go to the part database...you can click on the part nbrs to see the multple ones you can use because they've been succeeded by newer numbers. If the part nbr info says exchangeable retrospectively...then you can use those part nbrs without issue:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0d Sport
    Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I work off the Realoem site and I also removed the control unit originally to get the exact part number and that is what I bought.

It is rear only air suspension. When I plugged the replacement unit in , the diagnostic tool did not read any self levelling suspension at all, which is why I am trying to find out if it must be coded to the vehicle by BMW.

The popular reply I get is that it is plug and play , but I have found one or two guys that say it needs to be re-coded by BMW. So I don'n mind taking the car to BMW for them to re-code , but I don't want to pay them to do the job only to find out that the unit that I bought is in fact faulty.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    The BMW TIS mentions that a ride height calibration needs to be performed under certain circumstances...one of those is when the control module is changed. A recalibration is not the same thing as "coding"...but something does need to be done.

Here's a direct link to the TIS page that spells out when calibration needs to occur: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...eneral/ESOqXcB
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 12-14-2018 at 10:05 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    BMW X5 3.0d Sport
    I set the ride height and that is fine , but there is definitely a fault on the control module as verified with BMW.

My problem is , when you run the diagnostics , it shows self leveling suspension error , when I connect the unit that I bought , it says that the car has no self leveling suspension. Hence , does it need to be 'coded' to the car or is the unit stuffed.

The seller guaranteed me that the car was level and operational when he removed it. It was a business and not a private seller. Not that too much can be read into the ethics or scruples of a business over a private seller , but nonetheless.

Thank you very much for your assistance in this matter as well.