Thread: Heli-coil for lower rear shock bolt '96 M3

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3 Coupe

Question Heli-coil for lower rear shock bolt '96 M3

Stripped out...anyone have some long term experience with this fix? Car will be tracked (but not raced). It is a $60 fix versus $5-600. Don't want to cheap out (will be installing coil overs too), but not sure replacement needed. TIA

My Cars
    E36
    Never seen a helicoil used for lower rear shock on the spindle. The "safer" solution would be to swap out the trailing arm assembly that is integrated with the spindle. It's a nice surprise on the highway when the shock bolt comes out and you're riding on spring. Ask me how I know....

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Drill it out and use a bolt and nut with washers. I don't have first hand experience, but I'd imagine a helicoil wouldn't hold up to abuse there.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Drill it out and use a bolt and nut with washers. I don't have first hand experience, but I'd imagine a helicoil wouldn't hold up to abuse there.
    Yeah, I'd go this route, drill/tap for a larger bolt, or replace the hub assembly.

While the rear shock isn't load bearing unless you're using coilovers, I wouldn't want to risk shock tower damage from the shock banging around if it were to come loose.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Are you sure it’s stripped? The bolt can be a pain to get started. There is a slight angle. I assume you tried without the shock. Did you try a rethreader — might just be the first thread or two. Worst case, I agree with those who suggest drill through and bolt/washers/nut.

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    I’d be a lot more comfortable with a timesert than a helicoil in that location.

But I would also try to tap it first.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    Helicoil is a PITA in that location. I used a Timesert on mine (after first botching a Helicoil installation). Timesert is more $$ but works very well. I've been running it on track for about 2 years now.

My Cars
    E36
    All are fine but I would not drill it to a larger tap size. These bolts fall out as they don't have much bolt stretch to begin with, going to a same length, bigger bolt is going to make it worse.

I'd do the drill through and lock nut the back side - better bolt stretch, and good history of working great.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    All are fine but I would not drill it to a larger tap size. These bolts fall out as they don't have much bolt stretch to begin with, going to a same length, bigger bolt is going to make it worse.

I'd do the drill through and lock nut the back side - better bolt stretch, and good history of working great.
    These bolts aren't backing out because of not enough stretch, they back out because by design when the trailing arm goes up, the shock goes up at an angle and there is a slight rotation taking place at that point of attachment. Repeat this tens of thousands of times, and you'll see issues. Thread lock and a clean washer is essential in this spot.

I do not agree that drilling through would be the best solution.

Tap it. If that won't work, then Time-sert. Worth the wait to do the job right.

Also see:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ear-shock-bolt
    Last edited by Hova; 12-09-2018 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Add link.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    The shock is not supporting that corner of the car, the spring in the upper control arm does that (unless you are true coil on shock in the rear). Any form of thread repair will work just fine. Heli-coil kits are available at your local Oreilly's for around $24. Time-sert you have to order and to me, drilling a hole through it isn't the proper way to fix it.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Drilling a through-hole isn't great because the back side doesn't provide a flat surface for a nut/washer to seat. You could take a grinder to it, but then you're also weakening the part.

I stripped one of mine several years ago and Helicoiled both sides. You do need to be a bit careful when drilling out the hole to keep it properly aligned. It's also helpful to use a cobalt drill bit, since the arm's base material is hard and you're enlarging to a big-ish diameter hole (~14mm).

Replacing the whole trailing arm would be absurd. Mine is a track car and this fix has been holding like a champ. I'd suggest verifying the bolt torque after a few hundred miles, and after that don't worry about it.

Neil

My Cars
    E36M3, E60545i, F10550i
    Quote Originally Posted by NoLastName View Post
    Helicoil is a PITA in that location. I used a Timesert on mine (after first botching a Helicoil installation). Timesert is more $$ but works very well. I've been running it on track for about 2 years now.
    After using Timeserts I'll never go back to Helicoils.