Thread: Genuine BMW Spring Issues

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i

Genuine BMW Spring Issues

I purchased Front Springs in February for my 1993 525i. The part number was 31-33-1-090-998. At the time, these were the Front Spring that populated for my Vin ending in BJ85222. Front Shocks, Upper Mounts and related hardware were also purchased and installed around that time. By searching not by Vin, but by "1993 525i", Front Springs 31332226669 came up. I decided it was best to stick to what Parts and BMW's system advised and get the 31-33-1-090-998 Springs.

Prior to installation, I noticed the paint marking stripes were not the same color as what was on my car. No one seemed concerned, and were certain the system was right and so were the springs. The new springs 31-33-1-090-998, had Orange paint marking stripes. The springs that were installed on my car at the factory, had Light Brown/Pink paint marking stripes on the Front and Rear Springs. I have the original front springs at home - they have no part number listed on them - normal for this generation.

After the installation, the front-end was sitting substantially higher. It looked unsightly. I was assured by two people they would settle-in and the ride height would return to normal after some driving. Others were not optimistic. After measuring the front ride height, it was sitting 2/3-3/4" higher than before. (I have stock BMW Style 2 and Style 5 E34 15x7" wheels). I had an Alignment performed at BMW prior to Spring Installation and the Front Ride Height was in the middle of the ride height specification. I decided to put some more miles on the car and give the springs a chance to settle as some suggested. It made hardly any difference.

The dealer inspected the springs, shocks, mounts, misc. hardware and said all looked good. Another alignment was performed. The data sheet indicated the Front Ride Height was too high, out-of-spec and in the red. As a result of excessive ride height, there was an increase in Positive Camber, which was now too excessive and out of spec. The advisor said he typically only sees 1/16" max drop after some driving and was not optimistic. I expressed my concern with the ride height being out of spec. along with the positive camber - he was not concerned and had no other positive input.

I decided to give it over a thousand miles of driving, as some seemed to think the ride-height would lower. After several months, and several more thousand miles, there was only 1/16" lower ride height vs. day of installation - measured a few times. I noticed the front tires were making a louder noise as time went on. I observed more tire wear on the outer shoulders, especially when I took these summer tires off to install the snow tires Thanksgiving weekend. This would make sense due to excessive positive camber - as the tire contact patch is no longer as level as it should be.

When I researched the 31-33-1-090-998 springs on Real OEM with a former BMW Parts Manager, no models displayed for that Spring. This was a red flag he said. However the 31332226669 Springs listed many E34 5-series models, the 525i and 535i included. He told me the 998 was clearly not correct for my car based on the system results, the incorrect color on springs, the excessive ride height, and resulting out-of-spec positive camber.

I spoke with a classic parts dealer, and told them I was convinced BMW AG and/or NA, had listed the wrong Spring for my Vin. I suspected a default/substitute excessive spring-rate spring was chosen to possibly compensate for the headlamp washing system - which can't weigh more than 15 lbs. I was made aware that mistakes can and do happen on BMW's end for older models - although the parts dept. at my dealer doesn't agree. I have encountered this on my E28 and E34 for minor parts. I was told BMW revamped and updated the parts ETK system in the summer. They were still was able to go into the old program and the 31-33-1-090-998 Springs came up for my Vin. Viewing in the new system, the 31-33-1-090-998 did not show up for my Vin. What did show up for my Vin in addition to non-Vin specific E34 525is is the 31332226669 Front Springs. They asked about the color on my springs. When I told them the original springs color are different from the replacements, they were concerned. "They should always match," they said. "BMW paints those color stripes to indicate what car they belong on, based on model and options." They said in cases like this, if a customer bought the parts from them, they would order correct springs and return the wrong ones under warranty. It is critical to ensure the color on the springs matches the originals - otherwise avoid installation.

The color stripes on spring are incorrect, the spring rate is not matched for my car resulting in the excessive ride-height and excessive positive camber and my tires are wearing excessively on the edges. If my parts dept. permits, I'd like to see if the 31332226669 Springs are the correct color, and if so, remove and return the 998s, and install the 669s. If they are not the right color, just re-install the original surface rust covered springs, with 165,000 miles.

Interested if anyone has history in this area regarding Stock BMW Springs. Thank you for your help.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    BMW had MANY different springs for these cars. I don't know why as the variations must have been nominal. In the aftermarket a few #s cover the entire E34 line up.
    Having a background in auto parts distribution for other manufacturers I can tell you that when the cars get old and demand low part #s get superseded and consolidated.
    I suspect you are a victim of this. There was another instance like yours a while back and the dealer wouldn't budge stating the parts were correct as called for by the catalog.
    BMW is not very good at admitting mistakes.
    Somewhere on the interwebs is a chart with the color code stripes, I don't know how comprehensive it is. Also there may be a PN on your old ones stamped into one end of the coil. They are tough to spot but maybe worth a look. Even armed with that you may be still up against a parts catalog that says what you got is a proper replacement.
    Sounds like your dealer is a bit more cooperative than the other case I mentioned. Good luck, that's all I have.

I think the moral here, proven out before, is that while you think you'll get a perfect correct replacement you won't and BMW doesn't much care.
    Last edited by ross1; 12-06-2018 at 10:57 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    various
    How often do springs fail or sag beyond spec? I've seen a few break (not bmw) but I don't remember too many here having to replace them except in lowering.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    BMW had MANY different springs for these cars. I don't know why as the variations must have been nominal. In the aftermarket a few #s cover the entire E34 line up.
    Having a background in auto parts distribution for other manufacturers I can tell you that when the cars get old and demand low part #s get superseded and consolidated.
    I suspect you are a victim of this. There was another instance like yours a while back and the dealer wouldn't budge stating the parts were correct as called for by the catalog.
    BMW is not very good at admitting mistakes.
    Somewhere on the interwebs is a chart with the color code stripes, I don't know how comprehensive it is. Also there may be a PN on your old ones stamped into one end of the coil. They are tough to spot but maybe worth a look. Even armed with that you may be still up against a parts catalog that says what you got is a proper replacement.
    Sounds like your dealer is a bit more cooperative than the other case I mentioned. Good luck, that's all I have.

I think the moral here, proven out before, is that while you think you'll get a perfect correct replacement you won't and BMW doesn't much care.
    Makes sense, though sad for the consumer. Minor parts like Hose Clamps and the Engine Block Coolant Plug have been incorrect most recently - no problem returning those. Yes, I get that impression from some parts depts (but not all, as mentioned) that they are unwilling to admit to their on fault or BMW's, and will cover under warranty, or do some other good will. Still awaiting response from manager.

I would love to see that spring color chart.

Do any E34 owners have the Pinkish/Light Brown stripes on their springs like my originals? Curious what other colors people have.

Zubbie:

I read on a forum someone with a E36 with 225K mi. had significant sag - like over 1.25". The majority, don't mention sagging with age. I did measure tiny sagging in the fronts with proper BMW specified weight applied to seats and trunk. It was very minor. The BMW Alignment print-out showed it was in the middle range for ride-height from 3 yrs. ago.

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    I've never experienced sagging springs. My 89 still sat very high. Replaced them with coilovers and the car looks way better now. You want my springs?
    demet

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    In the previous incarnation of this thread, I arrived at the conclusion that based on the dimensions provided and regardless of part numbers, the new springs you got should indeed sit ~20mm too tall on a 525iA. I see only two possibilities: 1. 998 springs are correct for your car, and what you received are not 998 but mislabled as such, or 2. 998 were (as of February) incorrectly listed in BMW's catalog as fitting your car, and sometime in March that error was corrected... after you already ordered the 998.

Either way, it's BMW's fault. Of course BMW's Scheisse stinkt nicht and they are notoriously disinclined to admit their mistakes. Ross has been there, I have too. It sounds like your particular dealer is more cooperative, however.

Since that thread, I've played a bunch more with various E34, E30, E32, and E28 front springs (they all fit each other; I've got E28 528e coils in my 525iT). Besides giving me a good selection of numbers from which to extrapolate the formulas for ride height as a function of model and spring dimensions (summary: it's way more complex than it first seemed), every single one of these springs had a PN stamped or engraved into an end coil. Even on clean springs it's subtle, not the easiest thing to find.

Recommend one of two paths, if you're set on seeing this subproject through: 1. get that number off your old coils, and order same, or 2. order whatever the catalog says now, but in either case, bring calipers/micrometers/whatever to the parts counter and don't leave with, much less install them, unless the coil and wire diameters are the same as before, and the free length within 3mm or so.
    Last edited by moroza; 12-07-2018 at 03:28 PM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    I've never experienced sagging springs. My 89 still sat very high. Replaced them with coilovers and the car looks way better now. You want my springs?
    Problem solved^
    Sounds like you have a better than even chance of your dealer taking the wrong ones back. They are the ones that determined the ride height is incorrect, hence unable to be correctly aligned, aren't they?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Demetk: Thank you, still have my old ones I can use.

Moroza: Thanks for remembering and finding my original thread from late Winter/early Spring. Yes, either is possible, though the latter more likely for BMW to admit to. A shame BMW has such a poor reputation to admit to fault. The Parts manager has not responded to my emails or voicemail - now 1 week. Eventually we'll connect.

The other dealer's parts dept. in PA, said they'd hope their managers would be more willing to help/cover under warranty. My dealer had no issue taking back 4 incorrect fitting clamps and drain bolt however. You would think the same would go for the Springs.

Wow, 528e springs in a E34! That's interesting.

I tried wiping and scrubbing the ends of the old springs, with grime and surface rust, could not see any part number printed or engraved. Nothing. You've actually seen them on this generation? I was told by the dealer in PA, they didn't do this in this era.

Ross1: Good point. I have 2 Alignment Print-Outs from my dealer from 2015 and 2018. `18 was after new springs installed. Though on the `18 print-out some items were in Red (out of spec), the advisor said, the tech said everything is fine. Dismissive at it's finest. Facts are facts. The alignment machine doesn't lie, my measurements, my eyes, the excess tire wear, also don't lie.... and now the ETK/Parts Catalog is different for my car. The advisor/tech did lie to get me to pay up and get out the door. May have to contact BMW NA, if necessary. The only thing they could gripe over is that the springs were not installed by them. But BMW sold me the springs. Then checked the work and said all is good. True of the installation - not true of the high ride height and excess positive camber.

My Cars
    E34T
    Quote Originally Posted by E28E34 View Post
    Wow, 528e springs in a E34! That's interesting.
    They give a good ride height but are a bit stiff.

I tried wiping and scrubbing the ends of the old springs, with grime and surface rust, could not see any part number printed or engraved. Nothing. You've actually seen them on this generation? I was told by the dealer in PA, they didn't do this in this era.
    Yes, I read the engraved numbers on OE front springs from a 4/93 530iT (1 090 795), a 94 525iT of uncertain build date (1 090 793), a 3/84 528eA (1 125 726), and others that I didn't write down. The two E34T are from the same "series" of springs, and have identical geometry except wire diameter - 13.5mm for the M60 car, 13.2mm for the M50. The wagons have 6.5 coils with smaller coil diameters at the ends (~144, compared to ~155 in the middle), while E30, most E34 sedan, and E28 springs have 7 coils all the same diameter.
    Last edited by moroza; 12-10-2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Mis-remembered E28 production date

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    They give a good ride height but are a bit stiff.

Yes, I read the engraved numbers on OE front springs on a 4/93 530iT (1 090 795), a 525iT of uncertain build date (1 090 793), a 10/85 528eA (1 125 726), and others that I didn't write down.
    Interesting. Not sure why mine have no engravings. How small is it?

My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Wow! Thanks. That is subtle and small. Thanks. Heard back from the parts manager, sounds like they are willing to order new ones from Germany. Gotta use some simple green to see the part numbers, I didn't see anything close to a number last time I tried. The new ones are printed in white.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Finally found it. My springs have much more corrosion than yours moroza. On one spring I can hardly make out 60% of what it says. On the other it's clearer, but is odd. Thanks for the pics. It was located near the end of the spring, not on the outside or inner, but 1/2 way facing upward - awkward to see. Here's what it says, "BMW 1020 998 LR (or LP) 021" - that's the best I can make out. Very hard to read. It may say "BMW 1080 or 1090 998 LR or LP 021." Unless there is a Spring that ends in 021 (have not seen one yet), I have a feeling the 1090 998 spring must be the one..... which if this is true, means it's the correct one..... but may in fact be mislabeled. Under brighter light, the old rusty springs appear to have a more brown than pink stripe as stated earlier. This is all very frustrating.
    Last edited by E28E34; 12-10-2018 at 10:11 PM.

My Cars
    E34T
    Both of mine have "LP" on them as well. Full text reads "BMW 1090795 LP 051" on the 530iT, "A LP BMW 1090793" on the 525iT, and "1125726 L&P 1H" (might be a "BMW" somewhere too, but my notes don't mention it and they're installed) on the E28 springs. I assume that refers to the subcontractor who made the springs, perhaps L&P Springs in Tistrup, Denmark, possibly a subsidiary of Leggett & Platt Inc, who appear to mostly make mattress springs.

Given the age and condition of your old springs, I would mostly disregard the paint mark. The difference between brown, orange, pink, tan, beige, buff, khaki, yellow, and who knows what else... is rather murky at this point. Instead, redo the measurements on your old coils: free length to within 3mm (perpendicular to the helix), coil diameter to within 1mm, wire diameter to within 0.1mm. It's physically awkward but possible to get the latter two numbers for your installed new springs as well; do so if you're able. Post the results and we'll go from there.
    Last edited by moroza; 12-10-2018 at 11:09 PM.

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    I've got an old ETK and I've got some screenshots from the spring tables for you. Maybe this will help a bit?

1993 525i.PNG

1993 525i 2.PNG

1993 525i 3.PNG

1993 525i 4.PNG