My Cars
    X5 E53

Vertical green lines in HUD display

2012 BMW X5 - HUD been working great until this morning. Turned on this morning and now has vertical green lines on the display. Still can read the values but is distracting; black background and orange values were definitely easier to read! Height / Brightness are set at what I expect them to be but was wondering whether any one else had experienced this and if so, what they did to fix it?

OK - so an update...

These cars may be great to drive but working with them is enough to drive you mad. I noted on some forums that using the volume button on the steering wheel initiates some kind of reset. Anyway it did nothing for me. It got me thinking though and being in IT I am particularly expert in punching buttons in no particular order until something happens; as it turns out pressing the HUD on/off switch for about 20 seconds activates a small diagnostic menu - who knew? The only problem with it is that the options are numbered and only pressing the HUD off/switch seems to settle on an option but there seems to be no way of enabling it especially the Reset option. Anyway you can enable the system test option: note to self, do this again and you better make sure you are wearing sunglasses unless you don't mind not being able to see for the next hour. Anyway the test ran, bright, dim, rotate left, rotate right etc. but still no reset and the lines remained. A little later, I stopped for gas, started the car and what-would-you-know, there was the HUD display back being to what to was supposed to be!

I have no idea what - if anything - of the above did to fix this issue. I am more inclined to think the car did it just to piss me off.
    Last edited by KevinTurvey1963; 12-07-2018 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Update