Thread: What would you do with $3k?

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is ///MSport

What would you do with $3k?

I realize this is a loaded question but looking to get some feedback from the forum about what type of work I should prioritize on the car. To sum up my car and what I've already done:

1987 325is coupe in schwarz (unknown miles due to broken and unoriginal odometer at time of purchase)
    New magnaflow exhaust with OEM muffler
    New control arms, bushings and sway bar links
    New inner and outer tie rods
    Koni adjustable suspension with H&R springs
    New top mounts front and rear
    New fan clutch
    New spark plugs
    New hoses
    New thermostat
    New fuel pump
    New timing belt
    Rebuilt instrument cluster

Converted from a pre to post facelift
    Reupholstered front seats in black vinyl and houndstooth
    Rear seat delete
    Upgraded audio system with period correct looking head unit
    Euro analog clock
    Removed all the carpet, cleaned and dyed black
    Sound deadening inside
    New headliner
    Euro smileys
    Replaced front and rear windshields and seals
    Repaired and flocked the cracked dash
    Replaced a lot of the foam under the dash
    In the process of replacing all the sunroof components as they're busted or old and brittle

I know that the car has a leak in the steering rack so that will need to be re-sealed/replaced but I'm wondering if I should focus more on mechanical or aesthetics right now? The body needs some work and I'd like to repaint it to sterling silver so that's something that I'll do regardless but wanting some feedback on things people think are worth doing. The car is dirty and I find grime and muck everywhere. Would love a way to give it a deep clean but not sure the best way.

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    Based on what you listed, and the grime issue, I would remove the trans, then the motor, and give them both a really thorough cleaning before replacing all the seals and gaskets. At that time you could address the engine compartment/trans tunnel if need be. If your head has not been rebuilt, that would be worth the money also, since replacing the gaskets would include the head gasket as well. ( I noticed a big improvement just swapping my head with a newer one after breaking a rocker arm) My advice comes from rebuilding most of my motor (in stages) without ever removing the block/bottom end from the car and still looking at the original grime on it. I think it’s safe to say that any M 20 that has not been resealed and gasket it by now definitely needs to be,
    Last edited by msservices; 12-05-2018 at 09:26 AM.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is ///MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by msservices View Post
    Based on what you listed, and the grime issue, I would remove the trans, then the motor, and give them both a really thorough cleaning before replacing all the seals and gaskets. At that time you could address the engine compartment/trans tunnel if need be. If your head has not been rebuilt, that would be worth the money also, since replacing the gaskets would include the head gasket as well. ( I noticed a big improvement just swapping my head with a newer one after breaking a rocker arm) My advice comes from rebuilding most of my motor (in stages) without ever removing the block/bottom end from the car and still looking at the original grime on it. I think it’s safe to say that any M 20 that has not been resealed and gasket it by now definitely needs to be,
    Thanks! That's super helpful. I'm looking into a few options to rebuild the head. I'm going to talk to few local mechanics (I'm in the bay area) as well as options like CATuned and Condor Speed Shop as they offer these types of services.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    I was going to mention a head rebuild. If the engine doesn't leak significantly I would not replace gaskets at this time, my 2 cents. One other idea...looking into a Conforti performance chip. My 325e came with one and the hp is boosted from 121 to 145 with no down side that I know of.