BMW of Bloomfield

Thread: FS: 1999 Z3 M Coupe Street/track build CA

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS

FS: 1999 Z3 M Coupe Street/track build CA

After several months of internal debate, I've decided to sell my Z3 M Coupe. This is my second one and I've owned it for a little over six years. During that time, it's been autocrossed a number of times and has seen about 7 track days as well as serving as my daily driver for several decent chunks of time (including a 9 month stretch when I first purchased it). Most of the track-ready modifications (roll bar, subframe, etc.) were done by the previous owner who tracked it fairly regularly in and around Florida (I had the car shipped to CA when I bought it).

I would describe the car as a streetable track build. With one exception that I'll note later, it has everything you'd want in an S52 coupe to drive and enjoy it. While there are creaks/rattles and aesthetic blemishes that show the mileage, the engine itself was replaced at around 100k miles on the car. I have the paperwork from the previous owner, but the gist is that a brand new factory long block was put in the car. I have more pictures I can dig up of the car before me and during the subframe work if someone wants to see more detail (there are a couple in the linked album).

I have meticulous records of anything done during my ownership as well as somewhat detailed records pieced together from my conversations with the previous owner and his receipts. If you PM me your email address, I can send you a PDF with all of this info. I recently had the car in for brand new tires, tracking down an evap system leak (which ended up requiring the fuel tank to be dropped), and some other miscellaneous maintenance items.

Asking $20.5k obo.

Highlights (doesn't capture all parts):
    - 1999 Z3 M Coupe
    - currently ~163k miles but still getting driven a bit off and on
    - custom reinforced rear subframe and diff ear mount (super beefy)
    - weld-in four point roll bar
    - Brembo GT kit with custom paint (race finish with classic logo)
    - 6-piston, 355mm front, 4-piston, 328mm rear; lots of life left all around
    - TC Kline double adjustable coilovers (500# front, 600# rear springs)
    - Vorshalg camber plates
    - IE weld-in rear toe/camber adjustment
    - Mason strut bar
    - all sorts of bushings/mounts upgraded
    - Apex EC-7's in anthracite finish; 18"x9.5" +35mm front, 18"x10.5" +27mm rear (with appropriate spacers front and rear)
    - Bridgestone RE-71R tires in 255/35R18, 285/30R18 (literally brand new); car will also fit a 295/30R18 in rear but limited tire options (used to run R888)
    - VAC oil pan baffle kit and safety wired nut
    - Sparco Evo2+ seats and rails
    - Sparco steering wheel (have stock with good airbag, but would need some refinishing work to look nice)
    - 3.46:1 LSD
    - magnaflows
    - S54 radiator, spal electric fan

So with all the nice parts on the car, there are some areas that the next owner might want to address. The roundels on hood/side gills could stand to be replaced. The paint isn't spectacular as the car is old enough to vote; stone chips and things like that are definitely present. The front speakers seem to have given up a while ago, so I currently just send everything to the rears. The magnaflows can be a bit loud, so fixing the stereo would be a nice thing if you plan to drive it a fair bit. As with most older S52's, there are various areas showing small oil seepage, but nothing that has been leaving any marks where the car is parked.

I think the biggest thing I would address if planning to continue tracking the car (or just using it in hot weather) is a proper oil cooler. The car always ran at very stable temperatures (on track and off) with the old cooling setup (mishimito radiator and a mechanical fan), but when the mishimoto started to show signs of cracking, the reputable shop I took it to recommended the S54 radiator and electric fan. It now runs hotter than it used to and I'm convinced this is due to the smaller frontal area of the S54 radiator which is intended to have an oil cooler. That being said, the car has been tracked as-is in near 100˚F temps and has never overheated (though I tend to turn the heat on low as a precaution).

The car obviously isn't a show car or a pristine example if that's the sort of coupe you're looking for, but I'd say it's the perfect car if you want a coupe and want to really enjoy driving it and pushing it to its limits. While the price might seem high, keep in mind the high cost of all the parts and work done (try pricing the Brembo's). The reason I originally purchased this coupe and replaced my stock S52 coupe was due to quotes for things like subframe reinforcement and realizing it's way cheaper to buy one with that (and other things) already done.

The car is located in Northern CA, but I have no problem shipping as long as the buyer pays for and arranges the shipping details (that's how I got the car here to begin with). For possible CA buyers, the registration was just paid and smog is good for about another two months.

If you have any questions, just let me know. PM should be the quickest way to reach me.

Thanks,

Andrew

Full album of pictures here: http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/bo...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by bonestockevo8; 01-20-2019 at 05:08 PM.

My Cars
    Z4M Coupe
    Love your wheel fitment. What camber and spacers are you running to get those 9.5" fronts to fit? Any rubbing

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS
    It's about -3˚ of camber and like 6˚ of caster up front. I can't remember exactly what spacer is up front, but I think it's something like 5mm. Under nearly full lock and loaded up, I get a bit of rubbing on the right front. It's really only something I would get at autocross in tight left-handers.

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS
    beep...borp...bump

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS
    Merry Christmas price drop.

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe
    Wow, was considering selling my M Coupe, but may have to reconsider after seeing this. What a seriously mean machine. and those brakes...

I assume 20mm spacers in the rear?

GLWS

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS
    I think it's 15mm in the rear. I have 20mm spacers that I put on once when I had 295 R888's, but there was some indication of rubbing and I swapped back. Pretty sure the 20mm would work with the narrower 285 that's on the back right now.

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS
    bump

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS
    bump for a price drop

My Cars
    E70 X5M X5d X5M R56MCS
    Hi!
    Im interested in the Z3M coupe.
    Currently in Escrow and I cant make any big purchases until we close sometime around mid Feb to Mid Mar this year.
    If the car is still available then, I will be coming by to see it.
    Please PM me your info.
    A cell phone number would be great to contact you directly.

Wife says to get her a house and I get to have a shoe. Win for me!
    Mayo
    2013 Mini Cooper S (His Daily Driver)
    2012 X5 M (His)
    2012 X5 xDrive35d (Ours)
    2010 X5 M (Hers)
    2012 Hyundai Accent (Her Daily Driver)

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS
    Bump for a decent price drop. Finalizing the purchase of another car so this needs to go!

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS
    bump

My Cars
    02 E39 M5 | 01 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by bonestockevo8 View Post
    Bump for a decent price drop. Finalizing the purchase of another car so this needs to go!

what's next on the menu?

IMG_1342.jpg

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS
    Quote Originally Posted by farq View Post

what's next on the menu?
    For now, trying to go back to a single, do-it-all (or most) vehicle. I always joked that, as someone into cars, my mid-life crisis would be buying a Prius, but I bought a Golf which is probably as close as I get. But at least it's an R and still fun. I've owned a couple of Evo's and an STI, so clearly I have a soft spot for AWD, turbo-4's.

Anyways, I'm now playing the I-have-more-cars-than-dedicated-parking-spots game, so hopefully the coupe goes soon. Otherwise I'm going to end up finding some setup to park it elsewhere and excuses to hold onto it.

My Cars
    WTB M Coupe
    Great looking car...

May I ask what shift knob that is?

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS
    Quote Originally Posted by b00staholic View Post
    May I ask what shift knob that is?
    It's a jaffer tall delrin shift knob. I'm not sure if it's v1 or v2 as I bought it off a buddy when he sold his Z4M coupe, but I really like it.

My Cars
    '99 MCoupe, '06 Evo9 RS
    bump

My Cars
    M coupe/FRS/STI htach
    Hey do you still have this thing? I need a new money pit.

My Cars
    Looking
    Hi Andrew - Just sent PM, I'm also possibly interested and local

My Cars
    2000 S54 - Mcoupe
    Interested. PM'd as well.