Thread: I wanna buy a lift for the garage, thoughts and suggestions solicited

My Cars
    2002 540iA M Sport

I wanna buy a lift for the garage, thoughts and suggestions solicited

I would like my fellow forum member’s input on a new lift for my personal shop.

As some friends already know, I spent most of my cash in 2017 building a 4000sq ft building to house my car hobbies. As I try and pay “cash for toys”, this was a long time coming and has also left me cash poor for my much-desired new automotive lift for my workshop. The bright spot is indoor storage for my classics and a place to work on cars at my leisure.

After saving the last half of 2017 and working hard all year long, this has paid off with the 2018 Year End Bonus! It is time to buy that new lift.

I already have a Bendpak MD-6XP scissor lift that I have had for 7years and she has served me well through restoration projects and daily driver maintenance. The $800 price was super right as a “like new” auction find from a car enthusiast estate, but I have always lacked “center of car” access.

I intend to keep the scissor lift and I want add a 4 Post lift with a capacity of 9000lbs. I have been looking across the spectrum at many brands, types and price points. The only “Con” I have come up with on 4 post vs. 2 Post, is perhaps the lack of ease for a bottom out motor or transmission pull.

I have considered the following brands and I think I have narrowed the field down, but I would like to get input without my bias.

Bendpak, Ranger, Challenger, Titan, Auto Lift (which seems to be one of many names for an import lift fp9k-dx-xlt), Advantage, Nationwide, Atlas, Rotary, Wildfire, Back Yard Buddy and a few I might have missed naming.

My stable includes things as light as VW Scirocco and as heavy as a Silverado 1500 4x4 and things in between, even a side x side UTV and Mahindra Tractor.

Any first-hand experiences to share with quality, usability and price are welcomed.

Once decided, I plan to share my decision and experience with the chosen brand and vendor.

Thanks, Stephen

Need to look at how you intend to use it. I installed a Challenger E-10 2-post that I have used almost daily on everything from VW's to my Armada since 2010. I do primarily tire, brake, and suspension work on my street cars, as well as several track cars. Most of that requires wheels in the air. It can be done with the right accessories on a 4-post, but you get unrestricted access with a 2-post. 4-post is the way to go if your primary mission is vehicle storage and oil changes. Look for ALI certification. You can pay less, but should you......
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    Audi A6
    Greetings all.
    Getting ready to improve things in the garage.
    The main component that the garage will be rearranged around is a car lift.
    I definitely need a 2 post lift.
    Any and all information would be most appreciated!
    Thank you.
    Last edited by mrgreystone; 03-03-2019 at 05:51 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I was leaning towards the Bendpak XPR-10AS for a two post. After having a 2 post with straight posts and dealing with little space to get in and out of the car due to the doors hitting the posts, the angled posts looked attractive to me. I also liked the Mohawk A7 for twice the price. Rotary is also worth a look. Unfortunately, I had to buy a 4 post due to the structure of my barn, and bought a Bendpak HD-9XW, which is a good lift and works for just about everything I could do on a 2 post, with a little more set up effort.

My Cars
    2014 328d/2018 Diesel X5
    I can't comment on the other brands, but I put a Rotary 2-post in my garage in 2006, installed for $3600. Paid for itself many times over since then.