Thread: Q: Ceramic Engine Sealant

My Cars
    88eM5/98 540ia/97 540ia/03 740i/05 745i

Q: Ceramic Engine Sealant

Anyone have any success with ceramic engine sealant? A mechanic used this on my car now the engine is overheating. A new mechanic said the thermostat should have been taken out before using it. Old mechanic is MIA. Concerned about this red stuff in my engine now. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

btw : NEVER put anything in your engine, I'm learning the hard way. LS

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    This stuff should never be used with coolant. You are required to empty and flush all coolant from the engine and heater core. Refill with water, add sealant and run motor until the leaks subside.

Then you have to flush the engine and heater core again with water, then refill with the required coolant. This stuff is used mostly in the aftermarket and race applications, it should never be used in any modern BMW product due to certain incompatibilities.

You should have a coolant flush carried out using a chemical cleaner.

Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by LadySultana View Post
    Anyone have any success with ceramic engine sealant? A mechanic used this on my car now the engine is overheating. A new mechanic said the thermostat should have been taken out before using it. Old mechanic is MIA. Concerned about this red stuff in my engine now. Anyone have experience with this stuff?

btw : NEVER put anything in your engine, I'm learning the hard way. LS
    Last edited by mandd; 12-31-2018 at 12:01 PM.