Thread: Need some help identifying hoses, etc.

My Cars
    97 M3, 95 318ti

Need some help identifying hoses, etc.

Was buttoning up everything under the hood after changing the CCV valve on my M3 and came across three things that I have zero recollection of undoing.

First off I've got this small hose with a white plastic cap/nipple:

Next I've got what looks to be a ground wire? And maybe a vacuum hose:

I know it's not a lot to go off but any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets you." -Jezza

My Cars
    1997 328i
    The one with the piece of crushed copper pipe might be for the muffler flap, the hose would terminate at the corner of the fuse box at the fender. The black/white plastic thing, I think its a check valve, it has to do with the vacuum line that feeds a few things (booster canister, muffler flap, SAP, valve for SAP and there is also a 'T' that is used in that line. If your car has the SAP deleted then you might be ok. You would really want to plug the small hose at the manifold that feeds those things if it isn't already.

You in AZ, with warm temps the SAP doesn't get called upon, but if you in colder temps and it's not properly deleted it will set a code. Most important thing is to be sure you don't have a vacuum leak.

In the first pic you have two ends, is that the same hose?
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    97 M3, 95 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    The one with the piece of crushed copper pipe might be for the muffler flap, the hose would terminate at the corner of the fuse box at the fender. The black/white plastic thing, I think its a check valve, it has to do with the vacuum line that feeds a few things (booster canister, muffler flap, SAP, valve for SAP and there is also a 'T' that is used in that line. If your car has the SAP deleted then you might be ok. You would really want to plug the small hose at the manifold that feeds those things if it isn't already.

You in AZ, with warm temps the SAP doesn't get called upon, but if you in colder temps and it's not properly deleted it will set a code. Most important thing is to be sure you don't have a vacuum leak.

In the first pic you have two ends, is that the same hose?
    Thanks!

I should have made it more clear but in the second picture they are different lines/hoses.

And I'm not in the part of AZ that everyone thinks of, currently well below freezing with almost 6 inches of snow! But I haven't had any codes thrown yet.

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets you." -Jezza

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Check where the short fat hose comes from, it looks like the one from the purge valve then goes under the manifold.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to E36 M3 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    The plain rubber hose in the first picture likely goes to the black and white check valve. Items #5 and #6 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6092

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    The plain rubber hose in the first picture likely goes to the black and white check valve. Items #5 and #6 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6092
    +1. first hose goes to the check valve for SAP system. I'd look for the purge valve/breather valve and make sure it has vac lines going to it.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_1709

#1 in diagram.

My Cars
    97 M3, 95 318ti
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm not convinced that the first hose goes to the check valve, that was the first thing I tried and the unconnected hose looks to be a slightly bigger diameter than the one on the other side of the check valve. It also doesn't fit on the check valve very well, it slips over but there's almost nothing keeping it on there, I'll post a picture of how it looks below.

As for the other hose with the copper, and being for the muffler flap, I can't see anywhere for it to go logically and couldn't find it on a RealOEM diagram either.