Thread: Inpa vs OBD reader

My Cars
    2001 540i/6-speed M spor

Inpa vs OBD reader

I'm making this post after a series of frustrating installs of the BMW tools software. Reading through several forums, I was lead to believe that the BMW tools are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I'd be an idiot to pay for an OBD II reader because of how great inpa and the other tools are. I generally trust the general consensus of this board but that was a huge mistake. After having to reinstall BMW tools twice from Bimmergeeks, I finally got it downloaded correctly and operational.. only it wasn't. My computer would recognize the inpa cable but the software would not. Moreover, INPA was bugging and glitching out where it would be flickering in weird spots. Ultimately it wouldn't even let me load the diagnostics for my e39. It took me over 3 hours before I gave up trying to make it work. A few things: has anyone had these issues on windows 7/10? Or know of a better windows 10 download that actually works? I've read into it a bit more on the search function and honestly these tools seem like overhyped buggy garbage. If all I want is to read/clear basic codes an OBDII reader should be fine. What exactly is so great about these tools that people waste hours just to troubleshoot? Also just out of curiosity, why does this software need to run the way that it does? Why isn't there just an easy one step click to download/install instead of a ridiculous amount of steps involving deleting certain folders and using the admin command prompt. Surely after 20 years of this software's existence someone could have figured that out?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Concerning your problems with INPA: They are basically bootleg copies of proprietary legitimate BMW Software,
    so quality may suffer dependent on how obtained. Quality cables also matter. I'm by no means an expert on the subject,
    but the knowledge I do have, I obtained by research through the forums.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30020821

The problem with a basic generic OBD2 code reader IS just that:
    It can only read obd2 emissions codes, NOT BMW specific codes,
    which require BMW software to communicate with the myriad of BMW computers/modules contained in the vehicle.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I'll add that INPA was not intended to run on a Windows OS so there are some changes to Windows that are necessary during the install process. This complicates things. Then there are the changes required to make the cable work. Once you get it working you'll find INPA is indeed a very powerful diagnostic tool capable of accessing every module like Body Control, Crash Control Module, ABS, and a host of others. On certain cars it can be used to align EWS. So that's a lot more than your average code reader. It's also capable of accessing all those modules on OBD2 and OBD1 cars through the 20 pin plug like the e36. That capability is becoming rare and expensive.

If you only want something to read and clear OBD2 codes get a cheap wireless unit that plugs into the OBD2 port and communicates with an ap on your phone.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    INPA is a native Windows application. DIS is not.
    You are right, it is very powerful, because it was used by BMW engineering, and is meant for BMW engineers' knowledge and capabilities. You must have some knowhow to be able to use it.

It's really not that hard to install it. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...xperimentation
    I put up a slightly easier installation here. If you follow the instructions in the pdf, it will run. Skip the part about Environment Variables. It's not necessary anymore.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Hi Abel,
    I have a couple questions I'm hoping you would answer:
    Would all this information also apply to the first generation e85/e86 z4(2003-2007)?
    Also would I be able to perform the installation to an EasyStore Portable Hard Drive 1TB,
    so it would be possible to use it from laptop to desktop computer?
    I'm not a computer whiz, so any help is appreciated, thanks.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Hi Abel,
    I have a couple questions I'm hoping you would answer:
    Would all this information also apply to the first generation e85/e86 z4(2003-2007)?
    Also would I be able to perform the installation to an EasyStore Portable Hard Drive 1TB,
    so it would be possible to use it from laptop to desktop computer?
    I'm not a computer whiz, so any help is appreciated, thanks.

Yes, that INPA would work with E85 chassis, I can configure the buttons to show the Z4 on the main screen if you need.

You shouldn't and can't really install it on a portable hard drive. It would work best on a laptop, that is running Windows operating system, so you can carry it outside with you easily.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Thank you Abel for your prompt and helpful response.
    I don't have a laptop available, but now that I know it would be best, I plan on obtaining one.
    The vehicle is not running and I don't plan on waking it until Spring, so no rush.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325Ci
    Hello Able,
    I posted a rather lengthy question at the thread where you outline INPA installation etc. I am a 30+ year Ford Senior Master Technician, now looking to find some answers regarding my new (to me) 2002 325Ci "E46". I see a VAST amount of BMW interfacing/programming (coding) software posted/listed on this forum. My only needs are these......... 1. DTC retrieval, 2. Data stream for diagnostics and 3. Being able to install new modules if they were to fail. We (Ford Techs/FoMoCo) call it "PMI" for Programmable Module Installation, for when ever we have to replace a "dead" failed module on the network. From what I have found/read regarding BMW, it is called "marrying" a module to the vehicle???
    What software should I install to facilitate these 3 things AND do I need a "K+DCAN Cable w/Switch" to likewise facilitate these 3 things???
    Thank YOU VERY MUCH for your expert BMW help!
    Patrick
    Last edited by NSDAP1933; 12-26-2018 at 02:28 AM.