Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 89 325ix starts then dies

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    I would check the coolant temp sensor itself and the wiring harness for it. One way of doing that would be to swap your old one back in or if you know what the new one should ohm out to,
    And then check for power/ground at the plug. I see that you are in the northeast so I would be looking for corrosion any/everywhere, especially in any of the wiring that you may have handled when you did the intake gaskets, which, (as I was looking at today on my spare motor) could be several.

My Cars
    89 325iX
    Yeah I checked the coolant temp sensor and everything with that wiring i took that part of the wiring harness out for the injectors and did a continuity test on everything. I guess it could be fucked up at the connector that it plugs into which I also assume goes into the main harness to the DME?

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    You could try testing continuity on the harness between the sensor plugs and the DME plug

My Cars
    89 325iX
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdish View Post
    You could try testing continuity on the harness between the sensor plugs and the DME plug
    Yes that's what I'm going to try I just need a diagram of the DME harness and the sensors.

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    I agree with doing some continuity tests but if you did not disconnect the plug from the DME during the last round of repairs I would not do that until I first checked the specific harness connections that you did disconnect to do the last round of work. In the process of checking plugs I was going to suggest connecting your old injectors to the harness and see if you can verify that they are all (or any of them) clicking while someone else cranks the engine. At that point I would also ohm out the injectors that are in the engine just to make sure that you don’t have one shorting out because in some cars/injection systems, that will cause all of them to quit working
    Last edited by msservices; 12-06-2018 at 03:04 PM.

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBurnout875 View Post
    Yes that's what I'm going to try I just need a diagram of the DME harness and the sensors.
    E30zone wiki ecu pinout

Did you do a comp test yet?

My Cars
    89 325iX
    Quote Originally Posted by hotdish View Post
    E30zone wiki ecu pinout

Did you do a comp test yet?
    Thank you for the link it looks awesome, I did not do a compression test yet but I didnt do anything to mess with the compression so it wasn't high on the priority list but if I can snag a test kit I will do it for sure.

My Cars
    89 325iX
    Could bad exhaust manifold gaskets cause an issue with compression? This probably a stupid question in figured I would ask.

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    I sent you a pm about wiring diagrams

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Thank you for the link it looks awesome, I did not do a compression test yet but I didnt do anything to mess with the compression so it wasn't high on the priority list but if I can snag a test kit I will do it for sure.
    Most auto parts stores will loan those out for free.

Could bad exhaust manifold gaskets cause an issue with compression? This probably a stupid question in figured I would ask.
    No. Cylinders, rings, head gasket, head cracks, valves, valve seats, or some mechanical failure are generally what cause comp issues. A bad exhaust gasket wouldn't cause a no start either.

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    Also, a motor with slightly low compression would still start and run, if it’s way low on compression, it will tend to crank way easier, and faster, as if there is little load on the starter. It’s not as accurate as a test but it helps with the gut feeling aspect of it

My Cars
    89 325iX
    I just sent you an email. I am going to take the exhaust off the car, which was leaking a good kit anyways and see if I have a clogged cat.

My Cars
    89 325iX
    I was finally able to get the car started after holding the throttle open slightly but the car is runny very rich, after I get it started if I let off the gas it dies.

My Cars
    01 530i 02 325Xi BEV EVC
    I had a '91 iX that had a similar issue (start then die). Issue seemed to be related to the AFM connector. Cleaning the connector with electronics de-oxidizer cleared up the start/die issue for me. Perhaps removing/reattaching the connector solved the issue by completing a dodgy circuit in the harness? I dunno. Car was fine after that and was sold several years later.

Joe M in WV

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Just throwing this out there- Have you swapped out the Main relay with a good one?

Also - did you swap out the dme with another to check?

My Cars
    89 325iX
    Yes I replaced all three relays and the wiring harness and the DME

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    So basically everything in the motronic system has been checked (and is within spec) or replaced?

Fuel (injectors, regulator, pump, O2, Temp sensor) and Spark (coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, CPS) and Air (Vacuum leaks, ICV, TPS, AFM) as well as electrical function (DME main relay, FP relay and DME itself).

So maybe bad fuel - bad compression? I guess for me - Compression check would be next.

If that turns out to be perfect - Sell it for parts - because it is possessed.
    Last edited by 95BMWIC; 03-14-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling

My Cars
    89 325iX
    Just to give an update I had the car towed to a shop yesterday because I've lost a little motivation with it and I dont have the time with work getting busy. I will post an update incase people in the future have the same problem I do.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    you know what just hit me? a buddy had a no start issue on his 528e. we looked and looked and it ended up being corrosion on the underside of the fuse box. a shop found it for us
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    89 325iX
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    you know what just hit me? a buddy had a no start issue on his 528e. we looked and looked and it ended up being corrosion on the underside of the fuse box. a shop found it for us
    If that's it imma shit my pants lmao

My Cars
    89 325iX
    So apparently you can put the harmonic balancer on wrong. It is keyed but you can still line up the 6 holes and thread the bolts in. When I did that it pushed the indexing pins in so the harmonic balancer was just spinning and the infinite was sending to the DME and not in time even though the motor was actually in time. Working on the car from the top I couldn't see it when I was installing it so I went by feel....think it was keyed and would only go one way but you can actually fuck this up....ask me how I know haha

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    Dude, that sucks but at least you found it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12