Thread: Central locking system & interior lights

My Cars
    1985 e28, 1993 e32

Central locking system & interior lights

Hello, I own a 1993 740i. 134000 KM.

Ok here's the problem. When i have just used the car the power locks work perfectly fine, even locking with the trunk lock. Also when I open any door the interior lights go on. All is fine. The issue is when i leave the car for the night, the central locking system seams to lose power. It doesnt work at all in the morning. When i open any door the lights dont come on... GRRRRR...

To fix this all I have to do is turn the ignition to on and off again. Then all locks work fine and lights turn on with doors open. Until I leave the car for a X? amount of time then i got nothing???

All fuses are good. I have removed the glove box because i want to replace the gas shocks but cant dish out 150$ for a glove box just yet. I'm wondering if its a relay, or possibly something is grounding out? I dont know very confused.

Please help!!! I just leave my car unlocked now and i dont like it!!!
    Last edited by ReaperHunter; 11-30-2018 at 11:03 PM.

My Cars
    1985 e28, 1993 e32
    I have been doing some research and I think I may have a bad microswitch in my General Module? I read this from Shogun's post of GM explained... He writes,

- Previously, the GM would react to opposing signals (eg., an unlock signal while trying to lock, as with a defective microswitch) by carrying out the first command, then the opposing command (e.g., locking, followed immediately by unlocking).

This is happening to my locks. The Bentley book says to open all windows and sunroof then turn off ignition. Turn key to position 3 "which is towards the front and locks should lock..." My doors, trunk and gas unlock...???

Also when car is running the interior lights go on with any door opening. as soon as the cars off, once the 15 sec interior lights go out they dont go back on and central locking system is inoperative...

Please some help what am i dealing with here?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The microswitch for the light is in the door jamb https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...pen-quot-error
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1985 e28, 1993 e32
    InteresInterest in Shogun? I doubt this is the problem all doors work fine until car is turned off. Also doesnt account for the locks not locking when I turn key to position 3?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    All this is controlled by the GM = general module aka ZKE under rear seat driver side. Do you have a spare one to test another one? Or reset it once.
    GM spec https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ghlight=new+GM
    also check the fusible link which goes from the battery to the driver side rear seat, the fusible link controls all the components under driver side rear seat. Maybe it has a haircrack.
    First 2 pics is the other fusible link which goes into the engine bay to power the e-box, last pic is the one which goes to the other side of the rear seat http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/377728/

My Cars
    1985 e28, 1993 e32
    I will check and get back!

My Cars
    1985 e28, 1993 e32
    Reset the GM did nothing pretty sure my fusible links are good? Dont really want to cut open the plastic sheath to check.

I made a youtube video with the issue.
    https://youtu.be/rC3u8iqe9N8

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperHunter View Post
    Dont really want to cut open the plastic sheath to check.
    Not the one in plastic sheath, that is for the powering of the e-box in engine bay. You have to check the fusible link in the black plastic box near the battery, that goes to the general module http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/kazam/P1010076.JPG
    open the box, there the fusible link is bolted on. http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/s...0fog%20006.jpg
    remove the bolts and check for haircracks under the bolts.

Pull all relays and fuses under the rear seat and use contact cleaner/enhancer. Relevant fuses replace for a test, sometimes it is difficult to see if they are good or bad.
    Fuses in charge for the locking process are shown in the list of fuses in the ETM from around page 16 http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e32/
    Last edited by shogun; 12-03-2018 at 08:56 PM.

My Cars
    1985 e28, 1993 e32
    Ok thanks I'll have a look and get back to you.

My Cars
    1985 e28, 1993 e32
    Just noticed this morning when I got in the car the lights still out but the window control switch was "flickering lightly"???

My Cars
    1985 e28, 1993 e32
    Ok so I checked the fusible link, it's perfect looks new. I pulled all fuses and relays cleaned and put back. Two of the contacts on the relays look like they got really hot not sure if their bad? One of them was making this crazy springing noise when I tapped it??? Issue is still there?
    Now that the seat is off when I press window button or windshield wipers I can hear the GM making a click noise. Is that normal?

What is the percentage my GM needs to be replaced? If so where is the cheapest best place to buy?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    The clicking comes usually from the RM = relais module next to the GM, the GM just gives the orders to the RM what to do. There is only one electronic , reversible overload relay inside the GM. The RM is full of normal relays which make the noise.
    A spare GM and RM is in no case wasted money, Easy to test everything, when you have spare modules and relays, just swop and test.
    Maybe a member here has spare ones, otherwise look in the E34 classifieds section, there is a member south42 which always parts E34 https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/f...(closing-soon)
    He also sells relays etc in bulk.

I have some GM, RM, on stock, but that takes too much time to ship to the Canada and shipping cost is too much.

".. window control switch was "flickering lightly">>>>>>>also this is controlled by the GM/RM = ZKE Zentrale Karrosserie Elektronik = central chassis electonics.
    That means the GM does not go fully to sleep mode.

I hope also one of our electr. experts can chime in and comment.

All this is controlled by the ZKE, German language file, incl. wiring / function diagrams http://www.e32-schrauber.de/bmw/s-zke.htm
    Last edited by shogun; 12-04-2018 at 10:52 PM.

My Cars
    1985 e28, 1993 e32
    Hey something to add... while driving the relay controlling the windows just started clicking like crazy? My windows did not work. Then it stopped and they worked again. I'm pretty sure I'm going to invest in a new RM/GM and relays...

My Cars
    1985 e28, 1993 e32
    Problem solved!!!I purchased a used GM from an e34 (same part number. That's important) all works as is supposed to. I'm very happy to be able to lock my car again