Thread: 88 E30 - Replacing Convertible Top

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i Cabro

88 E30 - Replacing Convertible Top

This may have been covered before but ...

Ok, so I'm in the process of replacing the convertible top on my newly acquired 1988 E30 convertible. I purchased a top from eBay for $289 ... made in USA ... good quality ... seller has 100% Feedback and has sold tons of them for the E30.

The problem?

When removing the old top, I've got everything off without much trouble ... until I came to the front rail. There's a rubber weatherstrip that was REALLY glued in a channel ... which was next to IMPOSSIBLE to get out without destroying! So I figured, "Ok, I'll just buy a new one". I actually bent up the metal channel slightly too ... but I can probably straighten it out. A new channel on eBay is "only" about $85.

I can't find a replacement rubber seal for less than $329! ... JUST FOR A PIECE OF RUBBER! What are these guys smoking? ... that's more than I paid for the whole top!

It's BMW Part Number: 54-31-8-100-908

I've searched the internet ... is there another (cheaper) source for these that I'm unaware of?

My Cars
    1987 325i Cabrio
    Yep. They cost a fortune....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i Cabro
    When I removed the old one, I couldn't really tell what was "rubber seal" and what wasn't (my ignorance at work) ... I didn't know it was all one piece! Is it even POSSIBLE to get the old one out without destroying it? ... knowing what I know now, I sure would have tried!

I'm beginning to see now, why the local upholstery shop wanted $2200 to put a new top on!

My Cars
    1987 325i Cabrio
    Where are you located?

With a lot of work and patience you can get the old seal out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    When I had my top replaced several years ago, there were several parts that looked questionable to me. The upholster said he thought he could work with what was there as I would not be happy with the cost of new parts. He was able to reuse all the parts. When I looked up some of the prices, I found out he was not kidding and that was just for the parts without installation. So I'm happy, happy.

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i Cabro
    aaverhulst, unfortunately, I've already damaged the seal beyond repair ... I'll just have to bite-the-bullet and buy the new seal.

All of the other rubber seals and parts on the top I was able to salvage. So I'll have about $640 in my top replacement, which includes the recommended 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive.

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    Geoffzie, that's a good price. I paid more than that just for the top!

My Cars
    1988 BMW 325i Cabro
    I purchased mine on eBay from a company in Chatsworth, California called "DiamondMall" ... $289 with free shipping. They've got 100% positive feedback and a feedback score of 20619. They've sold 660 convertible tops just for BMW E30's. All made in the USA.

Here's the top listing description ...

BRAND NEW BMW 3 series 86-93 CONVERTIBLE TOP
    - 6 YEAR WARRANTY
    - 30 DAY MONEY BACK

MATERIAL: Twill: A 45oz heavy weight two ply composite. Sounds impressive but what this really means for you is REDUCED NOISE! In comparative tests, It is a 2-ply composite material with a heavy duty outer layer of PVC and a 100% Polyester laminated backing. Polyester is much stronger than cotton or poly/cotton blends when it comes to abrasion and tearing. Also polyester resists rot and mildew. Polyester is so superior in fact, it is the only material specified for use in all European luxury convertibles.
    COLOR: BLACK
    WINDOW: 40 Gauge DOT Approved Unzipped Plastic Window (meaning it is NOT a zip-in rear window) Chatsworth, California,