Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are you feeling about newer generation BMWS?

My Cars
    some crap

How are you feeling about newer generation BMWS?

New X2, New 8 series, new 3 series going automatic only etc etc. How is OT feeling about these new models?
    This is my Signature.

My Cars
    horse and buggy
    Quote Originally Posted by mvancE30 View Post
    New X2, New 8 series, new 3 series going automatic only etc etc. How is OT feeling about these new models?
    Might buy a 535d in the next few weeks

My Cars
    E63 AMG, RRC
    Only Modern BMW that really sings to me is the M2. Its like a modern day E30 M3 from what I can gather.

Think it might be a viable replacement as a daily for my E63 in the next year or two.
    2012 Audi A3 TDI
    1975 Range Rover
    2022 Tesla M3P
    1987 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth
    1999 Yamaha TW-200
    1975 Honda CT-90 Trail

My Cars
    Panzer Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by crotter View Post
    Only Modern BMW that really sings to me is the M2.
    Agree.

Remainder of the range is uninspiring.

My Cars
    M3, GLK 350
    I don’t like the gadgets appearing in the higher end models. Had a 5 series and waved my hand in a vigorous enough fashion to turn the radio to 11. Not on purpose.

My Cars
    I love turbos!
    I have an F10 535i and it is very nice and modern. However, the quality of some of the materials used makes me shake my head. I think BMW screwed the pooch in the late 90s, just like Mercedes.
    Last edited by The Beastmaster; 11-29-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    I think modern BMWs have way too much shitty plastic that's engineered to fail at 60-80k mi than is called for at their price points.

The M2 is interesting, but I can't really say I like how it looks in person. Looks... odd from many angles.

The 2019+ i3 actually has enough EV range to make it somewhat interesting, but I feel like it needs to drop in price quite a bit to be relevant in today's market. I can't imagine buying one new versus a Tesla Model 3. If the i3 was $8-10k cheaper, a REX version might be interesting with ~150 mi of EV range.

My Cars
    (1.5x) 2002
    I've given up on the brand.

My enthusiasm ended with the F.

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post

The 2019+ i3 actually has enough EV range to make it somewhat interesting, but I feel like it needs to drop in price quite a bit to be relevant in today's market. I can't imagine buying one new versus a Tesla Model 3. If the i3 was $8-10k cheaper, a REX version might be interesting with ~150 mi of EV range.
    It is relevant, if one is looking for a deal. Buying an electric car today is not recommended, most stuff will be outdated in 3-4 years. One can lease i3 for $300-400 a month. Some states offer rebates, which drops the price even more. Dropping $50k for a model 3 does not seem like a really smart move.

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    It is relevant, if one is looking for a deal. Buying an electric car today is not recommended, most stuff will be outdated in 3-4 years. One can lease i3 for $300-400 a month. Some states offer rebates, which drops the price even more. Dropping $50k for a model 3 does not seem like a really smart move.
    Why quote post-rebate prices for the i3 and not the Model 3?

My Volt is just a PHEV, (more like an EV that also has a generator), but it was ~$20k OTD after rebates. Pretty cheap for a vehicle with a full warranty, roughly comparable speed to an i3, and enough EV range to get me to like 800 mpg and maybe $50 of charging in 10 months.

I heard early i3's had plastic electric motor mounts that broke frequently, which totally sounds like modern BMW doing some downright stupid to save maybe a few dollars per vehicle. That's exactly why I shied away from a used early-ish i3 vs. the Volt.

I know BMW is not known for their legendary quality/longevity, but I feel like modern vehicles have really the bed in that respect. My E70 was a total shitshow of widespread failures. The aftermarket warranty company took it on that one to the tune of $14k in 2 years.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 11-29-2018 at 11:12 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    Golf R & S10 ZR2
    10 years ago I would have liked at the idea, but the alleged AWD M3 sounds intriguing. I like all the Ms actually.

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    I drove a 2017 X3 28 recently and I was impressed. Surprising power from a 2.0 four. They can get a lot out of turbos these days. Handled well. Comfortable, Felt and drove like a BMW.

I drove a 2017 740 M Sport last weekend and really didn't like it. I'm old school. (My last 2 cars have been e39 540-6 speeds -- I don't even like it when a car shifts gears without my telling it too.) The driver-assist features in the 740 were REAL annoying. After I turned them off the car drove OK. I guess I should say it drove well for a big car, but not great on the windy mountain road I was on. Best for highway cruising. I wanted to like it more, being a fan of the e38, but I just didn't.

My Cars
    m3, gtr
    A high performance halo car and a couple more GTS models would be sweet

My Cars
    Diesels and a 04 M3
    The new 8 looks sexy
    I'm a ROLEX wear'N
    Diamond ring wear'N
    KISS steal'n
    WHEELIN DEAL'N
    Limousine RIDE'N
    JET PLANE FLY'N , SON OF A GUN!
    And I'm havin a hard time holdin these alligators down!!!!!!
    WHOOOOOO!!!!!!

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    Why quote post-rebate prices for the i3 and not the Model 3?

My Volt is just a PHEV, (more like an EV that also has a generator), but it was ~$20k OTD after rebates. Pretty cheap for a vehicle with a full warranty, roughly comparable speed to an i3, and enough EV range to get me to like 800 mpg and maybe $50 of charging in 10 months.

I heard early i3's had plastic electric motor mounts that broke frequently, which totally sounds like modern BMW doing some downright stupid to save maybe a few dollars per vehicle. That's exactly why I shied away from a used early-ish i3 vs. the Volt.

I know BMW is not known for their legendary quality/longevity, but I feel like modern vehicles have really the bed in that respect. My E70 was a total shitshow of widespread failures. The aftermarket warranty company took it on that one to the tune of $14k in 2 years.
    I dont know how much volts gm sold, but it gets discontinued next year. It may be a decent and cheap car, that does not make i3 irrelevant. The i3 has it's flaws, but BMW is working at them month by month and it gets better and better. For 1.5 years and 10k miles(20k total) on my salvage 2015 I didnt have a single problem, ever.
    You have never said what your X5 was, but my guess is it was 2007-2008 4.8i. Every single one of these is a lemon. For a contrast my salvage 2012 X5D is getting close to 100k miles, been 4 years/60k miles in my possession. With regular towing and 40% extra power i have had a zero problems with it.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 11-29-2018 at 11:13 PM. Reason: quoted profanity

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by bawareca View Post
    I dont know how much volts gm sold, but it gets discontinued next year. It may be a decent and cheap car, that does not make i3 irrelevant. The i3 has it's flaws, but BMW is working at them month by month and it gets better and better. For 1.5 years and 10k miles(20k total) on my salvage 2015 I didnt have a single problem, ever.
    You have never said what your X5 was, but my guess is it was 2007-2008 4.8i. Every single one of these is a lemon. For a contrast my salvage 2012 X5D is getting close to 100k miles, been 4 years/60k miles in my possession. With regular towing and 40% extra power i have had a zero problems with it.
    E70 35i with the N55. The N55 was a leaky SOB, but no real major issues with it thankfully. The driveline and chassis was a total POS. Transfer case and electrical gremlins/parts the bed abound. If I had a V8 (N62 or N63) version I probably would have run through the max value of warranty repairs in <18 months, as those things are total shows (again, reinforcing my point of modern BMW reliability).

There have been about 150k Volts sold in the past decade, and it's a pretty decent car for the pricepoint after dealer cash on the hood + rebates (MSRP for the new model ranges from $33-42k).

I don't deny the i3 is a cool car, that's actually why I'll *maybe* consider one in the future, but almost surely used, and even then I don't know if I can put up with another out of factory warranty BMW.

I'll be honest, not sure I can go to another solely ICE car for my daily commute. I love the instant electric torque and just quietly cruising along with no hunting of gears or hesitation on power. The X5 was getting a whopping 10-11 mpg in winter due to cold start enrichment, so I'm basically driving the Volt "for free" at this point vs. that thing.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 11-29-2018 at 11:14 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Here my feeling !! Wish I could afford one ! Lol

My Cars
    6BT, 3VZE
    I heard early i3's had plastic electric motor mounts that broke frequently, which totally sounds like modern BMW doing some downright stupid to save maybe a few dollars per vehicle.
    Since it doesn't have a water pump, they had to put the plastic somewhere.

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Since it doesn't have a water pump, they had to put the plastic somewhere.
    The sad thing is they probably have a ridiculous amount of plastic in the cooling system (batteries and electronic controls are almost always liquid cooled in EVs). Maybe it doesn't get hot enough to just fall apart like ICE powered BMWs.

My Cars
    91 318is
    The M2 looks cool. I3 is neat. Nothing else is interesting to me at least.

E30, e34 and e38 are classics at this point.

My Cars
    not an e30
    Wow, 20 posts and no one mentioning on-topic?

The F30 I had had pretty good power with a little Dinan piggyback tune, I was averaging close to 500 miles on a tank of gas. The plastic was one of my biggest pet peeves. I went 99% towards buying a 2019 X3 M-Sport. Really impressed with the power they’re getting out of the newer DI engines they are using. The tech/features of the new Bimmers is definitely top of the class. The deal breaker for me the plastic interior.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 11-29-2018 at 11:15 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    X535D 323iS Z4 i3
    I'll be honest, not sure I can go to another solely ICE car for my daily commute. I love the instant electric torque and just quietly cruising along with no hunting of gears or hesitation on power. The X5 was getting a whopping 10-11 mpg in winter due to cold start enrichment, so I'm basically driving the Volt "for free" at this point vs. that thing.
    I dont know if the electrics are the future, but for sure they are different world. I enjoy driving my other cars, but for the city driving i would get the i3 any day.
    Back on the topic, the newest models are getting too complicated and owning out of warranty may become too expensive. That would bite the manufacturers in the ass, because they rely on the sale of a used car after it is back from lease, and also make some income from parts sales after the car is out of warranty.

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4
    I just bought a used Audi. What do you think?

Also, topic is on topic. Get ready for the tow.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    2 series / M2 keeps my interests in modern BMW's.

My Cars
    BMW 325i
    F30 3 series was disappointing. So was the F10 5 series.

Word is that the G20 3 series will recapture some of the old feel of the 3 series in terms of steering and handling. We'll see whether that is true when the reviews come out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast