Thread: Passenger side Valve cover not sealing

My Cars
    1994 540iA, 2004 Jetta

Passenger side Valve cover not sealing

Did the valley pan job and timing cover jobs over the summer and now my right Valve cover is leaking with new gasket. I sanded the channel out and even replaced the gasket again and she still drips sometimes under high crank pressure. I even swapped the rear PCV plate with an extra used one I had lying around in case the breather was bad.(Still could be I guess). Engine runes great and theres no symptoms of it failing. No gas or coolant in oil and I even opened the coolant cap and revved the engine up and nothing. Maybe I someone bent the cover when I had it off? I used a mirror all over the dang thing and I dont see it coming from the head.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T

My Cars
    1994 540iA, 2004 Jetta
    I think its at the "Half Moons" at the rear. I tried RTV the second time and it didnt work so I sanded it all out. I have another cover to try. Ive been using Victory Renz gaskets

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Reinz and RTV at the half-moons should work just fine. What're you using for RTV and what's your technique? Other than assembly errors (related to RTV, or tightening torque and pattern), the only thing that comes to mind is small cracks in the valvecover itself. Maybe try seating the gasket onto the head first, then the cover? RTV should only be necessary on the underside - the half-moons themselves, and at the timing cover seams - and more is not always better.

My Cars
    1994 540iA, 2004 Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    Reinz and RTV at the half-moons should work just fine. What're you using for RTV and what's your technique? Other than assembly errors (related to RTV, or tightening torque and pattern), the only thing that comes to mind is small cracks in the valvecover itself. Maybe try seating the gasket onto the head first, then the cover? RTV should only be necessary on the underside - the half-moons themselves, and at the timing cover seams - and more is not always better.

I better youtube some technics for applying it then. Ill report back when or if I get it fixed for any future searchers.

My Cars
    1994 540iA, 2004 Jetta
    I found it the leak and its not the valve cover. It the right timing chain cover I didnt do (Only did the left one). It leaking right onto the AC Unit and exhaust. I was scared to do it over the summer cause you gotta remove the tensionor bolt and it honetly wasnt leaking this bad back then. If I can remove the bolt without jacking the timing it should be an easy peasy job compared to the left side.

My Cars
    '89 535i/5, '88 735i/5
    Did you tighten the nuts from the middle outwards? I think the technique in tightening the valve cover is similar when tightening head bolts, starting from the middle then a cross pattern and in stages, for the tension to start in the middle then move outwards.