Thread: hey, new BMW fan here

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i

hey, new BMW fan here

Man this is a big forum, and the thing you have to agree to at the bottom is pretty hardcore, well done lol.

Anyway, I was running around the internet looking for information about the car i recently bought off Craigslist (for a self-proclaimed "car enthusiast," I should know something after having it for 2 months but I digress) when I came across your forums and decided to share my story.

I was in an accident earlier this year and it totaled my dinky little 95 Tercel. My family helped me recover and find a new car. I spent weeks on the internet, calling & texting people. I was looking for a super classy reliable car that I don't usually see on the road, at least around the two states I've lived in.

I found a posting for a 1989 BMW 535i (3.4L Straight 6) that spoke to me up in Prescott, and drove up there with my dad for a test drive. We checked it out in every nook and cranny and the thing is in really good condition.

The most problematic parts of the car are the electrical system and the Door upholstery/weather stripping. The windows aren't currently rolling up or down, and the driver's side lock is shot but I've heard these are common issues.

Sun-fried paint, a nose boop and a bit of bumper damage are the most severe cosmetic problems.

The engine is really clean and runs smooth as silk. The manual 5-speed runs just as smoothly as the engine, and feels badass to click into gear. It only has a few minor problems like a mild oil leak, and a few cracked plastic panels (including the window washer fluid container.)

The vinyl on the dash is in impeccable condition and most of the leather, while not brand new, has definitely been cared for.

I was so shocked I went straight to goodwill and found a stretchy throw blanket to cut into a dash mat.

I've been wanting to bring a car back to life, and I heard that this was one hell of a car with a decent production run from the people I talked to, so it seemed like a perfect fit. I bought it from the guy for about $2400.
    From what I've seen the E34's that are in decent condition, both body and engine, go for $4500-6000, so I think I got a pretty good balance of initial price, amount of work, and reliability, while not having to stifle my sense of style

Also I may be guilty of giggling like a little girl every time I look at that iconic grille

I've already changed out the rims, and I can't wait to start fixing it up, but I'm moving out of this place soon and need to save my money.

What does everyone think of her?
    Last edited by Cody.07/18; 11-29-2018 at 09:44 PM.

My Cars
    '91 525i (5sp)
    LOVE IT!!!

(welcome, btw )

My Cars
    1990 e34 525i
    shes a beaut