Thread: Turbo M5x Power on Pump Gas

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Convertible

Turbo M5x Power on Pump Gas

I'm sure this has been answered/explored, but I'm unable to find it. I currently have a turbo'd M52 (stock block, Steedspeed mani, GT35R, S52 cams), and am looking at building a proper engine in the future and just looking for the best combinations/possibilities with the M/S5x family of engines.

I do not have access to E85 in my neck of the woods, and I don't want to run meth, so here's my question: What power levels are possible on an M5x with any combination of bore/stroke, cams, head work, turbo, etc. but limited to 93 octane fuel and no meth?

Summer Daily -- '99 E36 M3 'vert 5MT
    Current Project -- '97 E36 328is Coupe 5MT

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I’d stick to around 600 rwhp on just 93 pump. With meth, I would push it to 700 rwhp. For the most power on just 93, be as efficient as possible so you make the power with less boost. Bigger turbo, better cans, better head flow, bigger exhaust, more displacement.

It’s expensive to fully work a head and buy cams. I have nearly $5k in my CES Extreme Ported head and Schrick cams, much more than it cost to fully build the 3.2L shortblock.

The tune may be the most important part of keeping the motor together when pushing the limits on pump gas. I would have the most faith on a NickG dyno tune.

I run meth and recommend it for safety when pushing the limits. I am not tuned for it and have it for octane consistency, cooling and a safety margin. I think I am around 700 rwhp but need to dyno again.

My Cars
    86 325es
    600 whp has been done countless times on a low compression built motor. I would not be afraid to try for 700-800 with a direct port meth kit with a flow sensor and ecu safeguards
    Last edited by someguy2800; 11-28-2018 at 11:46 PM.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I’d stick to around 600 rwhp on just 93 pump. With meth, I would push it to 700 rwhp. For the most power on just 93, be as efficient as possible so you make the power with less boost. Bigger turbo, better cans, better head flow, bigger exhaust, more displacement.

It’s expensive to fully work a head and buy cams. I have nearly $5k in my CES Extreme Ported head and Schrick cams, much more than it cost to fully build the 3.2L shortblock.

The tune may be the most important part of keeping the motor together when pushing the limits on pump gas. I would have the most faith on a NickG dyno tune.

I run meth and recommend it for safety when pushing the limits. I am not tuned for it and have it for octane consistency, cooling and a safety margin. I think I am around 700 rwhp but need to dyno again.

Ive been meaning to make a thread on whats the best to do to the head. I didn't know CES did headwork.

Does anyone have an opinion on who does the "best" or most reliable head work?

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    CES farms the work out to a NASCAR guy. It is pretty extreme. It is also a lot of money to put into a head that could get cracked from detonation or damaged by a mis-shift. But you asked about how to get the most power on pump gas, not about the best bang for the buck.

My Cars
    Lots.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3literheater View Post
    Ive been meaning to make a thread on whats the best to do to the head. I didn't know CES did headwork.

Does anyone have an opinion on who does the "best" or most reliable head work?
    I've seen Headgames work on S54 heads and would imagine they've also done M50/S50 heads. They are the go-to for Supras and other makes for big flow and power.
    915whp '98 M3 Sedan /// 37k Mile '95 M3

My Cars
    Bima
    i feel old looking at this and thinking
    "why the F do you want more then 600hp. Can you even get that to the ground?"