Thread: TPM warning screen triggering at every vehicle start up

My Cars
    2014 BMW f33 Convertible

TPM warning screen triggering at every vehicle start up

Hi! I have a 2014 F33 and starting on Monday (two days ago) every time I start the car, the TPM comes up on the iDrive screen. The message is displays is, "Check tire pressure and correct if necessary. Afterwards, perform Tire Pressure Monitor reset (TPM)." Couple takeaways:

1. The screen does not say that a specific tire needs air.
    2. I've run TPM reset probably three times and each time it comes back showing all tires are green (properly inflated)

All I have to do is click "Ok" to make the screen go away so it is not a big deal but I am very confused as to why this is happening. For what it is worth, I am located in very northern, IL (it's pretty chilly here) but the car is stored in a garage maintained at, at least, 50 degrees. I thought the weather may have something to do with this but this does happen if it is in the garage or parked at the grocery store. Any help / thoughts would be appreciated!

- Seth

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Have you check your tire pressures with a gauge?
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    Maybe the TPM sensor batteries are dying...

My Cars
    2014 BMW f33 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    Have you check your tire pressures with a gauge?
    Yeah, I have a gauge built into my air compressor hose. The car usually reads about 4.5 pounds of pressure less than what the gauge reads.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
    Maybe the TPM sensor batteries are dying...
    I was unaware the TPM senor had a battery. Do I have to replace the senor or can I replace the battery by itself? Weird that it would die after barely four years. Thanks for the input.

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    Yeah, TPM sensors each have a battery. It’s not changeable by itself - you have to replace the whole sensor in each wheel (it’s part of the valve stem assembly). The battery’s supposed to be good for 5-10 years, but it’s not unusual to get less especially in cold climates. When they start to die, you’ll get erratic TPMS check warnings even if pressure is ok.

You need to get the EXACT TPM sensor model/type for your BMW. Most tire centers provide this TPM swap service, but typically it’s done when also getting a new set of tires. You’ll need to do a reset of the TPMS in your iDrive after so your car pairs with the new sensors.

My Cars
    2014 BMW f33 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
    Yeah, TPM sensors each have a battery. It’s not changeable by itself - you have to replace the whole sensor in each wheel (it’s part of the valve stem assembly). The battery’s supposed to be good for 5-10 years, but it’s not unusual to get less especially in cold climates. When they start to die, you’ll get erratic TPMS check warnings even if pressure is ok.

You need to get the EXACT TPM sensor model/type for your BMW. Most tire centers provide this TPM swap service, but typically it’s done when also getting a new set of tires. You’ll need to do a reset of the TPMS in your iDrive after so your car pairs with the new sensors.
    Cool. Thanks for the info. I searched FCP Euro for TPM sensors for my car but they only had 3/2014 or earlier listed ... I'll have to call BMW and get the part number for my VIN. Appreciate the help!

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Quote Originally Posted by spedracr15 View Post
    Hi! I have a 2014 F33 and starting on Monday (two days ago) every time I start the car, the TPM comes up on the iDrive screen. The message is displays is, "Check tire pressure and correct if necessary. Afterwards, perform Tire Pressure Monitor reset (TPM)." Couple takeaways:

2. I've run TPM reset probably three times and each time it comes back showing all tires are green (properly inflated)

All I have to do is click "Ok" to make the screen go away so it is not a big deal but I am very confused as to why this is happening. For what it is worth, I am located in very northern, IL (it's pretty chilly here) but the car is stored in a garage maintained at, at least, 50 degrees. I thought the weather may have something to do with this but this does happen if it is in the garage or parked at the grocery store. Any help / thoughts would be appreciated!

- Seth
    Did you "Check tire pressure and correct if necessary. Afterwards, perform Tire Pressure Monitor reset (TPM).​"?
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    2014 BMW f33 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
    Did you "Check tire pressure and correct if necessary. Afterwards, perform Tire Pressure Monitor reset (TPM).​"?
    Please see #2 in my original post.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Type the last 7 of your VIN in the spot labeled Serial Number, and then use the part system to find your part number.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e
    Quote Originally Posted by spedracr15 View Post

- Seth
    This a fairly old post, but I'll give my 2 cent's worth also. You may have replaced your TPM sensors by now.

I had a similar car, a 2013 3 series. When I drove from a warm area to a cold area I would get a similar warning of some sort. I do not recall what it said. I would check the tire, and yes, it was down maybe 2 lbs from the recommended and last re-set PSI. I would not expect only 2 lbs would be sensed as a low tire. I finally figured that TPM unit was just super sensitive. Now cold air contracts, so my guess was as I left a warmer area, the psi decreased enough to trigger the warning. Sounds like that might be what you are experiencing going from a warm garage to a very cold outside.

As long as I did not drive that day from a warm to a cold area, I never got that warning.
    2020 Z4 M40i, 2022 330e