Thread: Stiff Ride in 1989 E24 with Self Leveling Suspension

My Cars
    e23,e24,e28,e31,e39

Stiff Ride in 1989 E24 with Self Leveling Suspension

I own a stock 1989 e24 with the SLS (Self Leveling Suspension) in place. The SLS pump is operational but it appears to keep pumping the car up to the max ride while running which makes the ride very stiff. When I turn the car off, the rear end lowers and when I start the car it rises again but doesn't seem to lower until I turn the car off. Occasionally while driving, the rear will lower which "softens" the ride but then shortly thereafter (within 30 seconds to a minute) the pump will again raise the car to the max ride height thereby stiffening the ride again.

I want to keep this car original so I am not in favor of removing the SLS system. I would really like to repair it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance..

My Cars
    86 635,72 E3, 88M6,73 E9
    Had same issue, I believe it is those pressurized canisters in each rear wheel well that are shot. Alternative is that there is an actuator hooked to the sway bar that monitors the ride. I replaced my system with short-red BMW springs and Bilsteins etc (BavAuto sells hardware for conversion as a kit) because cost was similar to replacing those canisters. BUT...I left all the lines in place and just plugged them, unattached the actuator from the sway bar, left the pump in place and drained the oil and held on to the shocks. Point is, you can replace the system but keep everything in case you want to switch back.
    Rob E3

My Cars
    e23,e24,e28,e31,e39
    I will look into the pressurized canisters as well as the sway bar. I would think that if there are two pressurized canisters, one in each wheel well, both would not simultaneously fail and therefore I would have uneven rear ride height (ie, one side higher or lower than the other). Iv'e never looked at the actuator and sway bar assemblies so I will look into that as well. After reading some other posts on somewhat similar issues, I thought it may have to do with the pressure switch and/or the solenoid on the pump itself. I guess the good news is that the pump is operational.

I appreciate your comments and will keep looking into the problem and will post my findings.

Thanks

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    According to ATE the socalled bombs lose every year at bit of the gas filling. For the old Citroen there were spheres which can be recharged with gas, as long as the 'bladder' inside is not ruptured.
    I know some E32 owners which have added a recharge connector for the gas. Mainly for the brake bomb, as no longer available for the E32 in the older version, I posted a pic with the recharge adapter in post # 38
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ght=brake+bomb
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    '89 635 csi, 128 convert
    Hi, I was recommended to talk with you about the SLS on my 89 635, from Big Coupes, when I purchased the car both shocks were leaking, no fluid in the tank, fuse pulled. I purchased a set of shocks/springs, and accumulators for a 88 M6, they went right on, pulled the tank, pump and all lines, cleaned them up reinstalled filled with Zentralhydraulikol 06162 fluid, put the fuse back in and PRESTO it works. Only problem the pump keeps the shocks at their highest setting, I tried to adjust the control box on the rear sway bar and it is either full up or full down. Heres my question (finally), should I be able to adjust the ride height with the control box, and are their any user cleanable or adjustable parts inside, ie clean a rheostat, etc.
    Thanks for your help
    Ericjump@aol.com