Thread: Paint code is not enough to match colors

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i

Paint code is not enough to match colors

You need to color-match with the color cards. Maybe everyone knew this but me. I bought expensive paint, from SpaceAge, using the color code on the car. It didn't match. At my return visit, they went out to my car with 3 choices, based on my color code, and we matched it. (I didn't even realize there were choices based upon a particular code. It was not sun-fade, as I tried it on inside of hood also.) SpaceAge accepted responsibility after some conversation, so good for them. I'm posting to maybe save someone a lot of hassle.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    A lot of places will scan the paint on the car and match to that. But yes, as you say, the same paint code can have significant variations.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Good to know. Thanks.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    What color was it that you were having trouble with?

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakar Ole View Post
    What color was it that you were having trouble with?
    1998 Z3M Estoril Blue # 335 . Their cans call it "Estoril Blue Met" (I think there is also an Estoril Blue for later years, maybe other models, that is different, but that was not the problem.)
    Last edited by zellamay; 11-27-2018 at 05:03 PM.

My Cars
    ...it depands
    I can relate also.

Mine is Titanium Metallic Silver. And it didn't match either despite of correct color code. Perhaps our cars being 20 yo (more or less) has something to do also...

Anyhow, they ended up scanning color to match in my case.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    z3
    Yup, never buy off paint codes. SpaceAge will do an exact match for you whenever you need paint in the future. They are like a block from my new shop as well, stop by next time you are in the area

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Yup, never buy off paint codes. SpaceAge will do an exact match for you whenever you need paint in the future. They are like a block from my new shop as well, stop by next time you are in the area
    I can also recommend SpaceAge; I went there many times during my subframe project to pick up supplies. Very helpful staff.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I have mixed feelings about SpaceAge. It seems that it depends on who waits on you. Frankly the woman who helped the first time was a little dingy. She failed in getting me the right color. also, While I was checking out, she left the area. When my card was approved the cash register opened to expose the money. I and other nearby customers laughed, but it could have been bad. I had another poor experience years ago, again because I got an inexperienced employee. I now know 2 to avoid, but I think my main message is to ask whoever approaches you what their level of experience is.

I'd like to see your shop. Address? Hours?
    Last edited by zellamay; 11-28-2018 at 10:34 AM.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0L roadster
    When I was addressing the rock chip issues on my 2002 Z3, I went to an automotive paint shop I had done business with in the past. We just went off the paint code plate on the vehicle. When I got home and prepped the car, using the right materials and after the paint dried, it was a darker tone. Don't know if I'm suppose to buff it out.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3 freak View Post
    When I was addressing the rock chip issues on my 2002 Z3, I went to an automotive paint shop I had done business with in the past. We just went off the paint code plate on the vehicle. When I got home and prepped the car, using the right materials and after the paint dried, it was a darker tone. Don't know if I'm suppose to buff it out.
    Sounds like a replay of my experience. We both now know not go only off of paint codes. I'd say you need different paint, the right tint.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0L roadster
    Yeah, thanks zellamay, its not easy being me........but I'm learning thru the school of hard knocks.........

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    I'd like to see your shop. Address? Hours?
    ASC Motorworks - we are off Alma School and Broadway. 10-6 M-F, 10-2 Saturdays

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

ok...

but what if I wanted to buy paint to touch up road rash on frt of my hood?

dont buy from say Dr colorchip or the like using my code?

r u saying to go to a body shop and match it up?.........do shops sell small quantities..I never knew this?.....

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    ok...

but what if I wanted to buy paint to touch up road rash on frt of my hood?

dont buy from say Dr colorchip or the like using my code?

r u saying to go to a body shop and match it up?.........do shops sell small quantities..I never knew this?.....
    Depends on how badly you want it to match perfectly. And, you might get lucky with the Dr. .... SpaceAge sold me a quart for $70, then said, (as part of the deal to return the un-matching paint), if I wanted to ensure a match I needed to go for the upgraded paint for another $30. ( I wanted to say "so for $70 a quart I got the shit-paint?", but things were testy so I didn't ). Then they will put your paint into spray cans (4 oz ea) for about $10 per can. I think they did offer a pint but I don't know the price.