Thread: Newbie questions about Stereo

My Cars
    2002 3.0 Z3

Newbie questions about Stereo

Just bought a 2002 3.0 Z3. It already had a decent Kenwood head unit in it. Now I know that there are two amps (which are not great) in this car, one for speakers the other for the sub. I have many questions but the first is sony makes a HU model MEX-XB100BT that is rated at 40 RMSx4 which is awesome. Why not run wires from the head unit straight to the newly installed speakers, and also install a new amp for a newly installed sub? If there are two amps for the whole system when u install a new HU does the HU pre amp even do anything?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    There is no reason at all why you can't run straight from the head unit to the speakers and just lose the amps.

My Cars
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    There is no reason at all why you can't run straight from the head unit to the speakers and just lose the amps.
    +1

My Cars
    2002 3.0 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    I would then loose the door tweeters since I only have 4 channels from the HU. Is that a big deal or could I use the stock amp just for the tweeters, or would you not even worry about the tweeter? Another thought if I just installed new speakers plus new sub and kept the original amp how do you think that would sound. Just really don't know how to upgrade the sound system the best way. Not looking to win a competition just enjoy music with the top down. Everything is so distorted right now with the volume even kinda loud.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Just get a component speaker pair with a crossover. Although I have an amp in my Z3, the front speakers are one channel per side, running through a crossover to split the signal to the kick panel and tweeter.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Why not get a 4 channel amp and install that along with crossovers in the trunk? That way you can use factory wires to run to the tweeters and lows in the doors. You can bridge the other 2 channels from the amp to power the sub. Then power the small speakers that fire into the back of your seat with the headunit? That's what I just ordered the components for.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0L roadster
    Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, but as you're talking about speakers, does anyone know the PN for the passenger side speaker in the corner of the floor? It's not the one in the door. Mine took as dump, and don't want to get held up by the dealership.......I would go to the classified forum, but don't know the proper name of the speaker. Sorry again

My Cars
    -
    If you remove that trim panel (it's held one by one of those half-turn-to-open screws if I remember correctly), you can see that a relatively standard 5 1/4 inch speaker will fit. Since both of them probably have foam-rot by now, it makes sense to replace them both (driver & passenger side).

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I replaced my kick panel speakers with Bavsound, part of the kit they sell for Z3. What a difference the speakers in the kick panels and those behind the seats made, even with the stock amp.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    Roscoe, you related to P. Coltrain ........ Me either!!!

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm on my 3rd Z3 and on the now doing a stereo on my 3rd 01 M Roady. I have replaced the head unit with better sound. Their is no one that is going to tell you to put dis, dhat or da udder thang on any of the blogs or stereo web/shops to replace as a simple install for any of the Z3's.

I got a head unit and going to get an amp, speakers, cut hack and make it mine. What I do is still unknown but like I said, 1996 was the 1.9, 08 S52 Roady and now 01 S54 Roady and did I tell you how much I enjoy driving the ka geeba's out of this car

Just do it and like any other project, smile!!! Or pay someone to do it and not smile???????