Thread: Oil dipstick doesn't register/read any oil.

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon

Oil dipstick doesn't register/read any oil.

So, I've been adding a quart (or two actually of 0w-40 Mobil 1 European Car Formula) every 1k miles... sometimes less. As the red light will come on in 3k miles if I fill it up and add nothing till then.

So, the engine is obviously burning oil.

Anyhow, I'm fairly busy and usually in a rush..... so I dont believe I've ever looked at the dipstick during my ownership. Regardless, looking at it today I notice the end is burnt as if no oil has touched it in a long time and after my continued efforts I can see its dry.

The sensor must work I'm assuming.

So my question is, how can I fix the dipstick or at least diagnose the problem?
    The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire, the size of your dream, and how you handle disappointment along the way.

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    Just wanna add, no smoke or vacuum issue.

While I should look into the oil consumption issue at some point.... the dipstick being completely dry (it is intact the plastic part at the bottom is there). Is a little disconcerting.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Make sure your oil level light goes yellow followed by red when you turn the key to start the car. Yellow is level, red is pressure. Make sure you have a correct dip stick too.

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    Yep, no issues there.

After reading online.... is it possible sludge has accrued at one point or another, blocking access to the dipstick?

My Cars
    2003 328i
    The dipstick will punch through any gunk to reach the sump. No chance it's blocked.

I think the most likely situation is that your engine is using a lot of oil and you really are not showing on the dipstick. You should drain the sump, add eight quarts and see what the level looks like.

I would also recommend Rotella T6 5w40. You probably have dirty rings and diesel oil will clean that right up. My clapped out high mileage oil drinking M54B25 stabilized at about a quart per 2000 miles after running Rotella. Prior to that it went through at least two quarts in 1000 miles. I don't know exactly how much because I wasn't keeping track precisely. I did the same as you though, pulled the dipstick and found nothing on the end.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    You're going to have to make the time to check dipstick oil levels weekly at the very least,
    or every time you add fuel at most. Waiting until the warning lights are on is just foolish.
    What you now save in time, you will make up in costs. Don't later say it was unexpected.
    KEEP the oil levels BETWEEN the HIGH and LOW level indicators on the dipstick, unless you enjoy engine replacement!

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Wait; you said the -red- oil light comes on? That means your engine is starved of oil and you should definately add a lot!

As suggested up here it's probably best to drain all the oil, fill the engine to it's specified oil capacity and then see if the dipstick is 'working' Of course replace the filter as you go. I'd personally just use the BMW spec oil, not Rotella.

My Cars
    2004 325xi Wagon
    No matter what I add 1-2 quarts every 1k miles. Plus, I replace the filter every 5 k and dump the old oil and completely refill every 5.

The red light comes on briefly and turns off sometimes when I'm driving....

I'm going to be out of the country Mid December to Mid January so..... I'll wait on a complete oil change until after that.

I guess I can buy the $25 5 quart of 0w-40 Euro and see if it shows up on the dipstick... if not then I'm back to square one

My Cars
    03M3 17M540 18A5SB

As others have said, drain oil, refill with proper amount, check dipstick

Quote Originally Posted by Durlaker View Post
    So, I've been adding a quart (or two actually of 0w-40 Mobil 1 European Car Formula) every 1k miles... sometimes less. As the red light will come on in 3k miles if I fill it up and add nothing till then.

So, the engine is obviously burning oil.

Anyhow, I'm fairly busy and usually in a rush..... so I dont believe I've ever looked at the dipstick during my ownership. Regardless, looking at it today I notice the end is burnt as if no oil has touched it in a long time and after my continued efforts I can see its dry.

The sensor must work I'm assuming.

So my question is, how can I fix the dipstick or at least diagnose the problem?
    If it's not time for an oil change, drain the oil into a clean container and measure how much you have, return it to the car and add more to make the proper fill, and then check the dipstick.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Add a quart at a time, checking dipstick levels after each, UNTIL the max level indicator on the stick is reached!
    Then simply check daily before starting out for the day, and top off accordingly. Easy-Peasy!
    Saved yourself an engine replacement, and no more uncertainties over oil level, DONE!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    BTW, Fix the oil leak once located.

My Cars
    06 330ci zhp convertible
    my 02 325ci was burning a litre ever few hundred miles. did the 02 pilot mod, which is an easy diy, and nowget atleast 1500-2000 per quart. way better. i would try that mod too.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    A failing CCV system is the usual cause of excess oil consumption.
    Replacement of the CCV system would be the first step I would try first,
    before attempting any modifications.