Thread: Glovebox screws

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

Glovebox screws

I finally got around fixing the glovebox sag. Putting it all back together I realized that after I repaired some of the little tabs that you screw the whole thing to with a fast nut (they were broken) original screws does not reach the fast nut when putting it back together. There are multiple size screws came out of there and few were missing. Seems like few short ones, one medium and one long length one. Looking at realoem there are multiple diagrams of glovebox. Some don’t even have these screws, while others have only one size. Anyone has a part number for longer screw that mounts entire glovebox to the dash? Those are the ones that little plastic cap goes over.
    Thanks in advance

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I carefully note which screws go where when I take them out. I would not know how to order one of them. You could take a medium screw to a hardware store and search their stock for one like it but longer. Many stores have a wall of trays of every kind of fastener, maintained by a rep from Midwest Fastener.
    All such Z3 screws on both sides of the under-dash glove box and panels have plastic caps, regardless of their length. The caps are order-able.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I carefully note which screws go where when I take them out. I would not know how to order one of them. You could take a medium screw to a hardware store and search their stock for one like it but longer. Many stores have a wall of trays of every kind of fastener, maintained by a rep from Midwest Fastener.
    All such Z3 screws on both sides of the under-dash glove box and panels have plastic caps, regardless of their length. The caps are order-able.
    My issue was that few tabs where broken and missing screws. Ones that did have a screw went into same hole. Issue with picking up a screw from local Ace or other hardware store, heads have to be correct size to fit the plastic cover snug enough. Thus, I was looking at realoem.com to find correct screw. While their diagram does not show what screw goes into what hole, it has only one screw size which appears to be too short. Regardless, I think I found what I was looking for while looking for lower plastic panel that goes under the glove box. My roadster came without that panel all together. So, I ordered few of each kind I found on the site that resembles what I am looking for . Sucks, I only found those on some UK site and shipping is more expensive the whole order of a panel itself and 9 screws . But hey, when it comes to our toys who is counting. (Wife is... LOL, shhhh!)
    Last edited by DimrBimmer; 11-25-2018 at 06:20 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by DimrBimmer View Post
    ... Issue with picking up a screw from local Ace or other hardware store, heads have to be correct size to fit the plastic cover snug enough...
    Do those stores have a wall of open trays of Midwest fasteners? I will take a look at my store which does. The head and length would should be easy to match, and the screw thread is not critical as it is going into a tab.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405