Thread: 98 E36 M3 Engine Issue - Loss of power, miss fire Cyl 3

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan

98 E36 M3 Engine Issue - Loss of power, miss fire Cyl 3

Hi everyone,

My issue started on the freeway going around 65mph, suddenly I had a loss of power. It wasn't a full loss of power but it suddenly had no go, along with this there was what I can best describe as a ticking noise from the engine that got quicker relative to rpm (higher rpm quicker ticking noise). In first gear I had no torque at all and second gear was the go to (this was once I got off the freeway and was pulling into a fuel station).

Since that happened I have replaced the spark plugs, replaced the coils as well as the post-cat O2 sensors (these were all things that I had already planned on doing and was hoping it was related to one of these). I checked the code reader and I got the code of a misfire in Cyl 3 now. I am thinking it's possibly a valve issue but wanted to get feedback on what test I should do next and what the best direction to go in would be.

Here is a video (excuse the dust I left the hood open while working on it and somehow it became a dust magnet even though it's in the garage)

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    Sounds like a valve lifter tick to me.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    Sounds like a valve lifter tick to me.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    Thank you appreciate the quick reply, going to do some research on that now.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    You have to hook up a gauge and do a fuel pressure test.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to M3 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    First thing I'd do is a compression test, followed by a leakdown test. If you can't do it, pretty much any good shop could do it.

But from your description, I'd say you have a dead cylinder. But that's just a WAG (wild ass guess)
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    Check the oil level? I had a similar sound once and my level was below the markers on the dipstick (stupid me for not checking it more often). Sometimes it's the simple things.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Do a hard reset by unplugging the battery and plugging it back in. Ecu can adapt to a bad coil and keep it from igniting later to avoid catostrophic misfire. Also, i would check the compression specs, and swap the injector to see if it fallos that if the compression test comes out fine.

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Quote Originally Posted by KestrelProdigal View Post
    I am thinking it's possibly a valve issue but wanted to get feedback on what test I should do next and what the best direction to go in would be.

Did you miss a shift? Compress test is the next thing you should do.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    First thing I'd do is a compression test, followed by a leakdown test. If you can't do it, pretty much any good shop could do it.

But from your description, I'd say you have a dead cylinder. But that's just a WAG (wild ass guess)
    Thank you, these were the two tests I was thinking of running next based on some research.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    You have to hook up a gauge and do a fuel pressure test.
    Ok thanks, if the compression test and leakdown don't lead to a fix I will try this next.

Quote Originally Posted by realjones View Post
    Check the oil level? I had a similar sound once and my level was below the markers on the dipstick (stupid me for not checking it more often). Sometimes it's the simple things.
    Yes I was hoping this was the case as it happened but the oil was at the perfect level :\

Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Do a hard reset by unplugging the battery and plugging it back in. Ecu can adapt to a bad coil and keep it from igniting later to avoid catostrophic misfire. Also, i would check the compression specs, and swap the injector to see if it fallos that if the compression test comes out fine.
    Thanks I did do a full reset a few times to make sure and it didn't change anything. Will swap the injector when doing compression test and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by AJLM34A View Post
    Did you miss a shift? Compress test is the next thing you should do.
    No I didn't miss a shift, it happened under normal cruising speed and load. Thanks going with compression test next.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Ok got preliminary test results back. Low compression on both cylinder 3 & 4, other cylinders checked out fine. Sounding like a gasket issue perhaps but will know more tomorrow. Anybody else experienced something similar?

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    Yes, but it was a misfire on #6. I had low compression on 5 & 6 and found a Vic Rentz head gasket. I bought my car with 92k miles on it and the gasket went at 103k. Use an Elring head gasket.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Ok got preliminary test results back. Low compression on both cylinder 3 & 4, other cylinders checked out fine. Sounding like a gasket issue perhaps but will know more tomorrow. Anybody else experienced something similar?
    I lost mine between 5 & 6 too at 145k miles.

No coolant leak, or mixing with oil, or pressurized coolant system. Just a leak between 5 and 6.

As far as head gasket failures go, it's about the best way to lose one.

My guess is if you do the compression test the right way (remove all spark plugs) you'll get zero on the bad ones.

It's not too hard if you can follow directions. That was 90k miles ago for me, and no problems.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I lost mine between 5 & 6 too at 145k miles.

No coolant leak, or mixing with oil, or pressurized coolant system. Just a leak between 5 and 6.

As far as head gasket failures go, it's about the best way to lose one.

My guess is if you do the compression test the right way (remove all spark plugs) you'll get zero on the bad ones.

It's not too hard if you can follow directions. That was 90k miles ago for me, and no problems.
    Great thanks, I have seen a few how to's on replacing head gaskets. Do you have a preferred one you would suggest?

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Great thanks, I have seen a few how to's on replacing head gaskets. Do you have a preferred one you would suggest?
    I had read the same things as everyone else. I bought a Victor Reinz kit and a standalone Elring HG. That was the cheapest way I found to get everything I needed.