Thread: Crank/no start/spark on 2 and 6 only...

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330ci

Crank/no start/spark on 2 and 6 only...

Here we go (simplified version):

Got a free BMW from father in-law. Car has been sitting in a garage for over a year, but ran fine prior to. Trouble shooting blind from this point so stuck with the basics Power/Air/Fuel/Spark...

It will crank but wont start. sounds like it wants to, just wont turnover. Found that only cylinder 2 and 6 are getting spark. Changed the following parts so far but problem still exist.

Changed: battery, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, coils, fuel injectors (on order)

Complete noob when it comes to BMWs. I'm use to working on VWs.

I searched but couldn't find specific answer to my issue. All help/suggestion are welcome.

My experience has been with VWs, this is my first BMW.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    I would drain and replace with fresh fuel,
    along with performing a diagnostic scan for stored fault codes.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What year and model are you writing about? Please stop throwing parts at the problem. Doing so wastes money, doesn’t fix the problem and it angers the BMW goddesses. Tge first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) for codes. The Service Engine Soon (SES) light is on only when an emissions related code is present. The fuel rail has a test valve that looks like a tire valve. Fuel pressure has to be at least 50psi at all engine speeds. What brand of fuel pump did you install? The only brand of fuel pump to buy is a Siemens/VDO.
    How did you check to see if you have spark? Are you sure each coil’s connector is fully seated? Are both ground straps for the 6 coils properly secured? What spark plugs did you install? The ONLY spark plugs that belong in an M54 engine are NGK BKR6EQUP. Are you sure the coil to spark plug boots are properly seated?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330ci
    2003 BMW 330ci e46/m54 w/ 230,000 miles

In my attempt to keep it straight to the point i missed some vital information, my apologies.

Due to the miles, every part change was going to be replaced anyway. However, i seem to underestimated complexity of the BMW Gods.

I did scan with the ODBII scanner, got one code (which i cant remember off the top of my head) quickly learned that i need a different scanner. Learn there's a lot i need to learn about BMWs, which is why i'm here. Any tips on a good BMW reader. Check spark with this little tool i had for years, not sure what you call it, but you plug it into the coil and ground it, and adjust bolt for distance and check the spark right between the gap when you crank it. And yes, i double check for proper seating, swap coils, same issue.

Bosch coils and Platinum+4 plugs
    URO fuel pump#16146766942

Thank you both for your input, greatly appreciate it!
    Last edited by Ross13; 11-25-2018 at 09:43 PM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The coils are fine, the plugs are suspect (see the last sentence of my previous comment), and the fuel pump is junque. The only fuel pump to install in an E46 is a Siemens/VDO pump. And the fuel filter needs to be either a mahle or a Keyser fuel filter. Both supply filters to BMW. The filter is critical as it has the fuel pressure regulator.

Go to E46Fanatics and search for “OBDFusion” threads in which jfoj has commented. He’s the OBDFusion guru. The app runs on comes in both iOS and android flavors. You’ll need either a WiFi adapter (iOS) or a Bluetooth adapter (android). The adapter plugs into the obd2 port under the dash. jfoj’s posts will tell you specifically which adapter to buy. Why OBDFusion? It reads and clears codes (doh), but it also allows you to see and record live data from a variety of sources such as the MAF, the O2 sensors, etc. Thr recorded data, in a .csv file, can be sent to your computer via email. The file can be opened with Excel. Btw, jfoj has an email address to which you can, with his permission, send the .csv files for his analysis.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330ci
    The filter is mahle, and i will be going to the sight as soon as im done with this reply.

Thanks again!

My Cars
    2006 330CI Convertible
    Hi Ross13,

Double check the error code you were getting to see if it was for the crankshaft position sensor. A bad sensor will allow the engine to crank but not start.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330ci
    Been on vacation so havent had the time to dig into it, the only code im getting is P0735

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    That’s an automatic transmission code. I don’t think that’ll affect the engine’s operation. What scanner are you using?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 330ci
    Generic odb scanner borrow from a friend(name unknown). But i just picked up Veepeak scanner with odbfusion app. Just got back so i will be rescaning first thing in the morning.