Thread: Pros/Cons of an 04-08 X3 ? $4k to $8k seems like a good DIY value

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

Pros/Cons of an 04-08 X3 ? $4k to $8k seems like a good DIY value

I have had an E39 and E46.
    I have tools, and I enjoy doing basic DIY.
    I did all the preventative maintenance on my 330i & 530i.
    I do stuff like belts, tensioners, brakes, cooling system, window regulators, fuel pump, valve cover gaskets, etc.
    For stuff I can't handle, I have a Euro mechanic, and never go to the Stealership, unless I need a $1 bolt.

I have multiple cars, so it's ok to be down for a repair.
    I know how to buy parts online (FCP, etc)

I know to buy a clean one, and the best one I can find,
    and not to buy a cheap neglected one.

Get a PPI.

I love throwing new parts on a used car.
    If low miles, great, but when I buy a used car,
    I spend $3000 or so getting everything baselined and sorted.
    I replace the entire cooling system on day one
    (radiator, WP, exp. tank, thermostat, coolant)

I think the X3 drivetrain is reliable, right?
    M54 engine was a legend.
    I prefer the 3.0 over the 2.5 for a heavy SUV

How is X3 in the snow?

No mods. Keeping it stock.

Anyone have some links or videos about X3 ?

Which years are best?
    2005-2006 says one post?

What are things that are problematic?
    Unreliable sunroof ? I'll never open it. Done.
    Tranny problems in 2007-08 ?

How is the DIY scene for X3 ?
    Are there lots of write ups and videos, or is this a soccer mom car still ?

The problem with the transfer case?
    Fix with $10 gear seems pretty basic.
    Not a problem

Also, what's the most popular X3 forum?
    Last edited by OnTheFence; 11-24-2018 at 03:05 PM.

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    Here is my 5 cents worth...

... sounds like you understand the issues quite well and are on the right track to enjoy your X3

... X3 in the snow is very impressive... with good snow tires it will reliably work its way through snow drifts all day long

... 04-06 has the M54 engine .... in my mind this is a good choice and there is nothing wrong with the 2.5i ... still has plenty power

... check the front u-joints in the PPI ... replacement requires a new drive shaft ... easy to replace but $$$
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    ....YUP, and parts are waaaay more expensive on the Canadian side. Even if ordered from FCPEuro, with exchange rates, taxes, duties, and shipping it all adds up ....
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    With your previous E46 and E39 experience nothing in E83 X3 should be a big surprise to you. I would stay with 2004-2006 M54 engines but maybe that's only me. The only real problem with these engines is carbon deposits and how that can affect piston rings and oil consumption. There's obviously the VANOS issues and common oil leak points also but those are relatively easy to address.

All wheel drive makes some things more complicated, though. For instance, replacing the oil pan gasket becomes quite involved as the front axles need to come off and so on. "Transmission mount" is actually a rubber bushing in the transfer case and requires a special tool to be easily replaced etc.
    The common issues with the transfer case are really the broken gear and old fluid, which both are easy to fix. At the point where the transfer case fails (clutches go out) it will suck though, as it's an expensive affair to find even a used part. If you have INPA or other diagnostic software, the transfer case control module is good to check for errors before buying.

Some parts are the same as with E46, some drive train parts are shared with X5 and AWD E46 models. There are many chassis, trim, etc. parts that are unique to E83 X3 though, and those are generally quite expensive. E83 X3 was not a very popular model in the US, and I've noticed the used market is very much sellers' market for these parts. Make sure the interior is in good shape so you don't run into this problem right away.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Oil pan.
    Tranny mount.
    Anything I can't do, I can pay someone to do.
    Still cheaper than a $40k new SUV.

I'm mainly interested in catastrophic issues that make owning an X3 a total ****ing disaster.
    None uncovered so far.

Good tip about interior.
    Agreed that can the most expensive to repair, and I never buy a trashed interior anyway.
    X3 sold about 1/3 of the numbers of 3/4-series, so yea, certain parts are not as easy to salvage.

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    I'm mainly interested in catastrophic issues that make owning an X3 a total ****ing disaster.
    None uncovered so far.
    I don't think an old X3 is any different in this sense than any other bimmer of similar age.

I think the biggest risk is, as soon as you get the car fully sorted out, it may end up being in an accident. Insurance won't pay nearly as much as the "value" is to you at that point. If you live in one of the more populated areas, there's a decent likelihood that someone else totals the car for you.

It can also be a death by thousand papercuts type of scenario if you won't be able to DIY...

My Cars
    75 BMW 2002, 82 320
    My wife's DD is a 2005, 3.0i. Purchased three years ago with 125,000 miles and today is just under 170,000. Commuting from 5600 feet down to 1500 and back the car is averaging 18 MPG. I put a fresh set of Snow tires on the car in November and run them year round. Other than the normal oil leaks, vacuum leaks and known radiator issues, the AC on the car is weak. I did give it a shot of r134, reset the AC head unit{ unplugged and reinstalled} and it still is not 100%. I did take it to the dealer on purchase and had the front diff refilled. The software in the car is reset and they were not able to find anything else they could charge me for. The other fluid changes were completed and other than a pending transmission flush it has been a non-issue. The gasket under the oil filter on my car was toast. The oil flow in our case was epic. The chassis on the car is not going to rust. I would just change it as a precaution when you take on the carbon and oil soaked valves.

I did have the intake manifold removed and the carbon build up was as bad as everyone tells you it will be. The walnut shell blasting is not something I would tackle , but it can be a DIY.

The car does collect more than it's fare share of door dings and I have collected a second set of rims. Rocks and curb rash.
    Last edited by jr02518; 11-30-2018 at 11:13 AM.

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Bought my '08 X3 3.0si in May of '17 and it has high mileage. bought it at 130,000 miles. Here's what my ownership has looked like.

- Vacuum leak shortly after purchase. simple and cheap fix, it was a bad hose.

- Snapped rear spring. Replaced both and it was a PIA to DIY. Good price replacement Bilstein springs from Bimmerworld.

- Sheared all 4 left side engine mount bolts. Common issue on these trucks cause the bolts are made out of aluminum. Fix was a little bit of a PIA but, not too bad.

- Rusted out engine ground. Took a bit of time to find the issue but again simple and cheap fix. Not at first because I thought for sure it was the starter, so I replaced the starter first with no change, then my mechanic suggested to check the ground and yup, that was it.

- Tone ring on axle was rusted and making contact with the wheel speed sensor. If you know what is wrong, it'll be an easier fix, but I couldn't figure it out and took it to the dealership. Replaced right rear axle and a new sensor for $1300.

- Transfer case and transmission issues. The dealership also told me some codes came up for the transfer case and transmission. Didn't know if they wanted to replace the whole transfer case or service it but, it wasn't a high priority and passed on the service. Not exactly sure what's wrong with them but she's still driving with no major issues. Transmission is having the common jerking and hard down shifts and take offs. I figured to have it looked at next spring summer when I can throw more money at it. Spending money on the project car right now.

So overall, a higher mileage one might cost you a little bit, but if you know what the issues are you can most likely DIY them and save a good bit. I love this X3 from the styling to the performance. This generation gets too much hate in my opinion and plan on keeping her for the long haul.
    Last edited by WELSCH325i; 12-06-2018 at 03:16 PM.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Thanks for posting a detailed list of history.
    Of those 6, how many are common and known issues on the forum?

My Cars
    94 325ic, 08 X3 3.0si
    Thanks for posting a detailed list of history.
    Of those 6, how many are common and known issues on the forum?
    From what I've heard from others on here, The more common ones seem to be the transfer case plastic motor gear that strips out, the sheared motor mount bracket bolts, and the tone ring on the axles cause of the corrosion build up.

My Cars
    BMW E70 4.8
    Had a 2004 3.0d - it was a best Bimmer I`v ever had. Unfortunately BMW did not sell E83 with diesel engines in North America, so M54 is a way to go for sure. The worst problem, for my opinion, is a transmission failure. They are not as easy to fix as ZF`s. I would do manual swap in this case. Transfer case parts are available at Cobra transmissions, so it can be easily fixed. Another problem are differentials - front and rear. As I know, no parts available for them, so in case of failure you will need to find a used one.

E83 has much more stiffer suspension, comparing to E39, and sound insulation is not so good, but I think it is not a problem for a handyman. E83 is very good in the snow, if you have winter tires. Mine stopped only when it was not able to push the pile of snow in front of the bumper Prefacelift black bumpers are really great - no rock chips, small scratches, etc.

I have E70 right now and thinking to go back to E83. It is much more fun to drive that little thing, and it is definitely more reliable.

My Cars
    2007 BMX X3 3.0i Manual
    Great info in this thread.
    I'm in the market for one of these (hopefully buying one tomorrow).
    Looking for manual specifically. Have a clean 07 3.0 on the roster to see tomorrow which will likely be the one.
    Things I know of from doing re-search are:

- most have rear springs snap (little harder to DIY but springs aren't crazy expensive)
    - gasket leaks on many (valve cover-easy, oil filter housing- little harder, and oil pan-big job)
    - transfercase servo motor gear replacement (well documented on YouTube)
    - coil issues (can DIY change plugs while at it)
    - axle seizure (depending which axle can be fairly easy DIY or little more difficult)
    - vacuum hose craxks/leaks (easy DIY)
    - cooling system woes (can be fairly straight forward DIY but parts might get pricey)
    - VANOS (not sure on this one just starting my research here)
    - engine mount bolts
    - leaking panoramic sunroof
    - driver seat tear and other interior parts wearing out

Am I missing anything?
    Hope to get a bunch of good years out of the 1st Gen X3 I'm buying with regular maintenance and addressing the model specific failures.

My Cars
    75 BMW 2002, 82 320
    Has anyone else experienced a week AC system? The HVAC head unit on the dash can be unplugged to reset to unit but our '05 can not keep up with keeping the car cool in the summer. I have added some refrigerant to the system, it was low, but again it can not keep up.

David

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    We bought our '08 X3 with a six speed manual in May of 2017. Nicely optioned and in great shape. We knew we'd have to do some work since it was a used car, and it has served us very well until some recent issues arose, all of which we have addressed. ^^^Weak AC is NOT one of the problems we have experienced though. Maybe check your cabin air filters.

Issues we have dealt with:
    - Valve cover was leaking. Replaced the gasket only to find out the cover itself was cracked. $500 or so for the part, and a couple hours of DIY labor. Was frustrated with it because you really need to seat the coil connectors - like very, very firmly, or it won't run.

- Took it to the dealer for the airbag and PCV recalls done. They noted the VC leak I ended up fixing myself, ground straps under the car, cooling hoses swollen from oil leaks, broken rear springs. Foolishly had them do the work, $2600 later, back on the road.

- But only very briefly because the car overheated on the highway a couple hours later. Had it towed to the dealer who claimed it was a bad cooling fan. They swore it worked fine when they had it in their shop, but I call BS. Herb Chambers can kiss my ass. $1000 later we have a new electric cooling fan.

- Shortly thereafter, driving our presumably now perfect X3 I noticed the thing bouncing wildly on the highway. Dammit, needs front struts. Bought strut kit from FCP for $500 or so, $350 for install, now this thing is dialed in! It's perfect!

- Too good to be true! Couple days later get a call from the wife, in tears, the car won't go. Meet her on the side of the road, sure enough, car won't go. Starts, runs, you can run it through the gears, but just makes kind of a whining sound that increases with speed and as you shift gears. You can shift gears without even pushing in on the clutch. Hmm. Pull the trans and transfer case - output shaft of trans and input gear on transfer case are stripped. Each works perfectly, but no power transfer. $2k for used transmission and transfer case, $750 to the guy to install both, plus $500 boondoggle of "diagnosis" from another vendor.

Honestly, this this was awesome until we took it to Herb Chambers BMW, then after that it was all downhill. Ended up buying a brand new GTI which is great, but really not as nice quality as this $50k new, much less than that used car. Now I would like to sell this X.

These really are nice cars, but I will say they are as maintenance heavy as all of our other BMWs have been, which is to be expected I guess. Plenty of power, decent gas mileage, and good in the snow although I recommend winter tires, not just all seasons. One negative I see is the manual transmission requires real concentration to drive very smoothly.

Anyone looking for a very nice X3 that's just had more than the asking price dumped into it? Let me know, I am flexible on price. Sitting in a dry garage at the moment but may be pulled out if my E38 keeps up its recent act.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...l-Transmission
    Last edited by clarkitect; 01-16-2019 at 07:55 AM.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    So, for you, it was:
    Valve cover and gasket
    New fan
    New gearbox (is that common?)

I see your FS ad is 2 months old.
    Did you get any local interest?

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    So, for you, it was:
    Valve cover and gasket
    New fan
    New gearbox (is that common?)

I see your FS ad is 2 months old.
    Did you get any local interest?
    And front struts, rear springs, ground straps, cooling hoses. Really these things are pretty commonplace, and normally I would have done all of that except the struts myself except I made a bad decision to get some things done at the dealer while it was there. Live and learn. The transmission/transfer case has to be an anomaly. WTF wast that all about, I don't know.

Yeah, two months. A PM or two from the forum and a couple people contacted me from the local CL ad, both seemed serious but nobody has come to look at it. Do you ski? Come to Vermont and drive it home!
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2002 x5
    i have a 2008 bwm x3 with a transfer case issue and i google and found this web that i purchase the case for 1050.00 rebuilt unit www.tcbmwx5.com so fare its ok 2 year i change the oil every year very happy

My Cars
    88 325ix
    Bought a 2008 Manual 3.0si 5 years ago for $8500 with 118,000 miles. And all of the above will fail. I do some of the work myself including rear springs. Have About $8000 into it and it now has 196,000 miles. Looks new, in and out, rides perfect and with snows, better than my 88ix in the snow. Awesome car for less than $20,000 in five years.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    88 325ix
    Same. 2007-2010 are the same.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk