Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil pan gasket

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Well since they are specifically for the 95 geometry, (offset LCAB) it's not going to change anything on my 95... (at least that's my understanding.) Oh, and I'm probably weeks away from driving it. I'll need to get an alignment since I'm also swapping the stock rack back in... I never did like the Z3 (non M) rack..
    Last edited by RRSperry; 12-05-2018 at 04:25 PM.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    The geometry wasn't the problem, it was the excessive feedback when driving over the tar strips in the road.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Well we’ll see.. I can always put the rubber back in. I’m not afraid of the now..lol

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    You may feel like the wheels are unbalanced now because of how much is transmitted to the steering wheel. Not constantly, but dependant on the road. Just an FYI. Felt it when I went poly, but my car isn't a daily. It's mainly built for autocross so I don't mind.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    I finally got around to pulling the LCAB. The correct tools makes it so easy... I'm now going to install the Treehouse racing style bushing I've had laying around.
    I think you will find that TH Racing “Eyeballs” add too much caster to an E36M3, and push the wheel forward in the wheel well. You might even get some rubbing.
    These replicate the 1995M3 offset CABs for the non-“M” E36 or replacements for the 1995M3 Lollypop/offset CAB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Well that ok, because mine IS a 95. They are supposed to be offset...lol

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RRSperry View Post
    Well that ok, because mine IS a 95. They are supposed to be offset...lol
    Sorry, that was not clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    are slow.
    Glad you went with new motor mounts. Hate to tell you to do more work, but while you're waiting for those, you might as well also snag some new transmission mounts if you haven't changed them recently. It's the only other component holding the motor and transmission in place. We'll worth the few bucks.

On my 95 M3, I went with the treehouse racing offset LCAB's as well. I didn't enjoy the harshness. I went with the solid offset bushings BMW Motorsport version. I opted for Lemfoerder Part number: 31 12 9 061 222
    I feel it was a great compromise. They just need to be installed and the car dropped to the ground quickly. Something the delrin bushings don't need to be.
    Last edited by Hova; 12-05-2018 at 11:41 PM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    They got replaced when I put the 6 speed a couple of years ago.

When I put in the Z3 rack, I put new tie rods on it. It's amazing how the original tie rods on the 95 rack feel like the new one on the Z3 rack.

So the question is should I take the newer from the Z3 and put them on the original rack I'm putting back in? (I mean newer is newer...) I either don't like the Z3 rack, or it got damaged in the accident that led to it's donation... The driver side tie rod was pretty deformed when I got it.. Even with the new inners and outters, it was wierd...

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Weird how?

I would imagine that if the rack got damaged it would've been the seals in which case you'd have ATF filling the boots.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Just wierd, like the power steering wasn't at full power? Higher effort? Just wierd, and twitchy of center. There was no fluid leaking at all, there seem to be some hairline cracks? (could well be casting marks, I didn't check it. I got it from a salvage yard near me for cheap, so I'm not complaining. But I'm putting the stock rack back in and get it aligned again...

Then again, I wasn't happy with the last alignment I got. A reputable shop. but they put the rear camber back to the low end of stock from the -2 I had it at.. And almost 0ed out the toe.. Just felt weird...

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    A steering rack can certainly get damaged internally — ask me how I know.

I’ve had the Z3 rack for a number of years and it doesn’t feel weird or twitchy in any way. Actually, compared to both my current and previous daily drivers (Golf R, Mini Cooper S), the ratio doesn’t even feel quick.

Neil

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    So, all of my cars have ZHP and E46 M3 racks. I recently did the Z3 in a customer car and wasn’t a huge fan of it. Twitchy and turning radius was poor. This was one of the new racks that ECS sells.

You might like a ZHP rack instead. It will require E46 inner tie rods and E36 M3 outer.

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Ah... Mission creep.... lol Truthfully the hardest part of this is going to be refilling the PS reservoir. once everything is installed it's a pita to get too. Because supercharger and piping... Hey Brett, does the ZHP rack have both of the mounts for the PS cooler? The Z3 rack only had one.
    Last edited by RRSperry; 12-07-2018 at 06:52 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    I'm running a ZHP rack from the Rack Doctor. Very nice feel. There are 2 mount holes. I'm pretty sure it is an exact fit for stock M3 PS cooler but I'm running an aftermarket cooler (as part of the Chase Bays PS reservoir setup) so someone should confirm.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Direct fit, just the rack vents out of the shafts so E46 inner tie rods are required (or slot your E36 inners).

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Also have the E46 ZHP rack and it's very nice. Only thing to keep an eye on is wheel rub close to lock since this rack seems to have slightly more travel than the stock M3 rack.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    ZHP rack guy here as well. Everything bolted up like factory, even the e36 M3 outer tie rods. I bought mine remanufactured from Rackdoctor, and it already had the inner tie rods installed. I just slapped on new E36 M3 outers and bolted it up! I love the way the car feels with it. But to be perfectly honest, I had the car sitting for about 2 or 3 weeks, while I overhauled every bushing and mount, replaced the Bilsteins with Konis and H&R sports, and added bavauto sways. So when I finally got back behind the wheel, enough time passed and a lot changed for me to definitively make a statement one way or the other about the ZHP rack. But I will say that I don't feel like the steering is not quick enough, I like it just the way it is now. So hey maybe that says something haha.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123