RM European Auto Parts

Thread: S62 Cylinder Chip

My Cars
    1994 325i

S62 Cylinder Chip

I recently purchased a 2002 M5. The engine was misfiring and had low compression on two rear cyclinders on both banks. After removing the passenger side I found out that it was just the gasket which was a major relief. So I moved onto the driver side but unfortunately I wasn’t so lucky. It turns out the it was the actual block. There is a “chip” in between the cyclinders. I was thinking that I could weld it and then have it machined. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and or can give me some opinions. Thanks!

IMG_1395.jpgIMG_1394.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Wow, Jason. That's a tough thing to discover. I haven't seen anything like this before. If it were a lesser engine, it would be easy to say replace it. I bought a 60k mile S62 for mine, after exploding it at V.I.R. six days after purchasing the car. The engine, new rod bearings and bolts cost about $7000.

The trouble is, the cylinders are very specially treated; you can't just machine them.

Here's the best I can think of:

1) Go over to M5Board forums, and on the E39M5 forum, you'll find someone named "Clemster". His real name is Adam, and he buys and disassembles E39 M5's, and can likely sell you an engine, or maybe even just the bottom end. If you want to PM me, I'll give you his phone number. He is well known, has a great reputation, and I've bought parts from him before, and they were always as promised.

2)Well, you DO live in Philly, so VAC Motorsports is right at hand. However, while they may be able to fix your block in a suitable manner, I have to tell you that they are notorious for projects taking YEARS.

3) Well, there's always a new block:
    https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ck-11111407808

4) OR, a new complete engine:
    https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ck-11001407803

"M" is the most expensive letter in the alphabet

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Wow, Jason. That's a tough thing to discover. I haven't seen anything like this before. If it were a lesser engine, it would be easy to say replace it. I bought a 60k mile S62 for mine, after exploding it at V.I.R. six days after purchasing the car. The engine, new rod bearings and bolts cost about $7000.

The trouble is, the cylinders are very specially treated; you can't just machine them.

Here's the best I can think of:

1) Go over to M5Board forums, and on the E39M5 forum, you'll find someone named "Clemster". His real name is Adam, and he buys and disassembles E39 M5's, and can likely sell you an engine, or maybe even just the bottom end. If you want to PM me, I'll give you his phone number. He is well known, has a great reputation, and I've bought parts from him before, and they were always as promised.

2)Well, you DO live in Philly, so VAC Motorsports is right at hand. However, while they may be able to fix your block in a suitable manner, I have to tell you that they are notorious for projects taking YEARS.

3) Well, there's always a new block:
    https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ck-11111407808

4) OR, a new complete engine:
    https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...ck-11001407803

"M" is the most expensive letter in the alphabet
    I appreciate the information. I’m really trying to figure out a way around purchasing a new block because of the cost.

I’ve read a number of threads were people have had horrible experiences with having them sleeved too. So I’d rather not do that.

As far as having it welded, my thought is because it’d be above the rings even at the strokes highest point, it might be okay.

I’ll reach out to VAC Motorsports this week to see what they say or recommend.

If you could provide me with Adam number I’d appreciate it. I’ve heard a lot of good things about him on M5Board.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    PM sent.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    PM sent.
    I got it, thank you.

My Cars
    I've never seen that before!
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonMHorn View Post
    I appreciate the information. I’m really trying to figure out a way around purchasing a new block because of the cost.

I’ve read a number of threads were people have had horrible experiences with having them sleeved too. So I’d rather not do that.

As far as having it welded, my thought is because it’d be above the rings even at the strokes highest point, it might be okay.

I’ll reach out to VAC Motorsports this week to see what they say or recommend.

If you could provide me with Adam number I’d appreciate it. I’ve heard a lot of good things about him on M5Board.

My thoughts too.
    Sounds a bit dodgy though. Not like these engines are unobtainium so unless I REALLY wanted to experiment I'd have a new doorstop
    Last edited by ross1; 01-14-2019 at 12:45 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Or a nice coffee table?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S