Thread: No throttle response & rough idle

My Cars
    96 318i Vert

No throttle response & rough idle

Hey guys new to the forum, but Im not sure what the hell is wrong with my 318. I noticed while driving on the highway a slight shutter in my throttle, took it out of 5th an coasted but idle was fine an no new noises. Hit traffic and all of a sudden my idle dropped to around 4 to 500. I gave it some gas and it hesitated for a second then it accelerated like normal, but as soon as it would goto idle it would start getting rough like it wanted to stall. Well after a minute or so my throttle did nothing, but it was still running, albeit rough. On the side of the road I got a bit of throttle response back but it was very limited, I had to pump the gas to get the rpms to move past idle. Could it be my CPS or O2 sensor, I already ordered a new ICV it was so cheap I figured it would not hurt. But the rest of the stuff is not so cheap, and any help narrowing down what the hell my cars problem is would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys for your time!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    It's not any of those. It could be your fuel pump. If your low on gas, like around 1/4 tank and it did that, it could be the siphon pump on the drivers side has disconnected itself from the sender.

- - - Updated - - -

So, test fuel pressure. If the car was low on gas, try adding a few gallons to see if it goes away, if it doesn't then explore the siphon pump on the drivers side. You can also smoke test it for vacuum leaks.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    96 318i Vert
    Thank you for the quick response, I'm going to test that as soon as my battery is charged. Might be tomorrow but I'll post the results as soon as I get em.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    That should read, if the problem DOES go away when you add gas, then check to see if the siphon pump disconnected from the level sender on the driver side.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".