Thread: Turbo kit I'm looking to buy, want opinions.

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10

Turbo kit I'm looking to buy, want opinions.

Mind you I'm NOT looking to build some drift machine, crazy HP, etc etc build...I really just want something simple. My DD is a 700+HP X5M, but I enjoy driving my vert and she could use a little more power :-) The seller is very reputable, this is something leftover from someone else's build but he claims it'll get me in the 300-350HP tops kinda range with this small turbo, which I'm completely fine with.

I'm not going to be doing HG just yet, but I'm guessing the inevitable will happen, I'll get bored of the power and the upgrading snowball will begin...but for now I'm looking to just bolt on, drop $1k on a tune and call it a day.

Current mods:
    Intake
    Single mass flywheel
    M3 clutch
    CDV delete

Mods sitting in boxes waiting to be installed:
    M3 subframe w/ 3.23 LSD
    M3 cams w/ matching trays
    M50 manifold

Need to buy:
    M50 conversion kit
    ACT stage 3 clutch
    Subframe bushings rebuild kit

Other than what's in the pics, seller has offered to include:
    Extra intercooler piping
    Fuel pressure regulator
    Boost controller
    Intake boot to keep ASC if I chose to do so
    Fitting to drain turbo oil into existing oil pan bolt (I'll do a welded on bung if that's not good enough)

Seller suggested purchases:
    N54 head studs to make installing the manifold easier

What's your guys' .02 on this? Look familiar to anyone? He said it looks very similar to the old AA stage 1 kits w/ the smallish turbo it has on it. I trust the info he's given me, just wanting other opinions while I wait until payday this week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by m5james; 11-20-2018 at 03:08 PM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    PERFORMANCE:JB4 w/ meth, stage 2 tune, wrapped downpipes, custom intake
    INTERIOR:AVIN 10.25" screen, Blackvue 550 dashcam, 7" tablet for JB4 logging
    EXTERIOR:Niche staggered 20's or AC Forged staggered 22's, H&R 2" suspension, LED AE, CF front splitter
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd swap, iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated & silicone impregnated pistons, Sealed Power rings, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, perf cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminium heatshield/wrapped MAF tubing, Magnaflow 14816'd, Eaton M112 in-work
    INTERIOR:Android Dynavin, hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D monoblock, CF silver trim, 5% tint
    EXTERIOR:///MPar staggered 19's, H&R Stage 2/Bilstein HD, custom notched bumper, Shadowline trim, 750iL brakes w/ Axxis pads
    190hp 97 328ci
    PERFORMANCE:Single mass flywheel, ///M3 clutch
    EXTERIOR:Z4///M staggered 18's, rolled fenders, tinted markers

My Cars
    M3
    If you are going to buy this (I would not) make sure it has some kind of tuning. Stuff looks used which means it worked at one point (good) but... it looks used..

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I would be tempted to start from scratch and assemble my own kit.

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mklock View Post
    If you are going to buy this (I would not) make sure it has some kind of tuning. Stuff looks used which means it worked at one point (good) but... it looks used..
    It has no tuning. Oh yeah, it's used but seller says there's zero shaft play and it'll be a good starter turbo since it's a complete hardware setup for$1000.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I would be tempted to start from scratch and assemble my own kit.
    I considered that as well, but even after watching people start with CX Racing turbo builds, they still snowballed into the $5k range after being nickel and dimed for parts, tuning, fittings, piping, injectors, etc vs this being $1k and only needs tuning. Apparently the PO of the kit used a rising rate FPR as seen in the pic, but the guy selling it to me threw in a few bits and pieces he had from his own builds and then heavily suggested a real tune.
    Last edited by m5james; 11-20-2018 at 06:39 PM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    EXTERIOR:Niche staggered 20's or AC Forged staggered 22's, H&R 2" suspension, LED AE, CF front splitter
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd swap, iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated & silicone impregnated pistons, Sealed Power rings, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, perf cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminium heatshield/wrapped MAF tubing, Magnaflow 14816'd, Eaton M112 in-work
    INTERIOR:Android Dynavin, hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D monoblock, CF silver trim, 5% tint
    EXTERIOR:///MPar staggered 19's, H&R Stage 2/Bilstein HD, custom notched bumper, Shadowline trim, 750iL brakes w/ Axxis pads
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Maybe since you have a 700 hp X5M and a nicely modded older 740il, you could afford a higher quality and more complete turbo system for your E36?

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Just keep it stock. You say it just needs tune, but mention clutch purchase & install.

It may sound like a good deal but do you really want to put up with the hassle just for a good deal?

If you do go with this route, contact tuners and find out if they want to tune w/ that hardware that's installed.

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Maybe since you have a 700 hp X5M and a nicely modded older 740il, you could afford a higher quality and more complete turbo system for your E36?
    I hear ya and I see where you're going with that lol. We've got 7 vehicles and recently purchased another house, so while I'd love to turn everything into a no expenses spared project, I'm trying to find the happy medium between bone stock and tire slayer. I was going to break down every vehicle purchased, mods, etc but it'd make for a long as post.

My point is I've spent higher dollar amounts when needed, the seller is a reputable turbo builder who I'd hit up about buying a kit he'd mentioned selling but that ultimately cost more than I wanted to spend on this particular car. He later hit me up saying he got a nice budget kit that he'd got when purchasing an entire M3 coupe in need of an engine, he'd sell to me on the cheap vs listing here, so here we are.

As mentioned above, I'm sure the day will come with everything else I own (my biggest downfall lol) where I'll get bored with it and the snowball will start rolling, at which time I'll swap it into our 528iT and then I'll do a bigger build...but for the time being I'm just getting my feet wet. Zero faith in a budget build I guess :-)
    Last edited by m5james; 11-20-2018 at 06:41 PM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    Just keep it stock. You say it just needs tune, but mention clutch purchase & install.

It may sound like a good deal but do you really want to put up with the hassle just for a good deal?

If you do go with this route, contact tuners and find out if they want to tune w/ that hardware that's installed.
    He suggested I use 22RPD for a real tune vs using the RRFPR the prior owner used. The stock M3 clutch I'm running now is fine, but the seller being a bigger turbo setup builder is probably leaning to the side of caution and suggesting I get a better clutch.

The M50 manifold I got for free since I've got buddies who scour the yards for random stuff to flip. The S52 cams I got for $300 and were purchased well before talks about going turbo, so they're mods I planned on doing anyways. I've never aftermarket turbod an E36, so honestly don't know how much of a hassle it'll be. I'm a whore for good deals though...it'd take me a minute to count the literal thousands I've saved across multiple vehicles from buying used to doing all the work myself.

The seller is friends with 22RPD, who he also referred me to, so with that I'd assume tuning it won't be an issue. EDIT: just told I might need to upgrade to 60lb injectors at most, tuning is not an issue.
    Last edited by m5james; 11-20-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    turbo e36 m3/ stock s50/e30 m3
    You came here for options and you were given some. Seems like you had already made up your mind before you posted.

96 M3, GT4094R, Arrow Rods, CP Pistons, Elring HG, cutring 87mm, 10 mm ARP studs,MS3pro, EMC Intercooler, n54 6 speed with Motiv twin disk, ZT-2 wideband, Zionsville Radiator, X-brace, H&R springs with bilstien shocks, QTP electronic cutout, Line Locks, stock exhaust 455rwtq, 453rwhp at 14 psi 91 octane.......684rwtq, 681rwhp at 24 psi running flex fuel E60 at time of dyno tune.

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    To a point, yes. I've also been hoping that someone would recognize it since it came with a unique widebody M3 that was a drift build. Other than it not being pretty, so long as the turbos in good condition (seller says the turbo has no play) and tuning is good as well (22RPD is an hour away from me vs RK being the other side of the country), I'm sincerely curious what's so wrong with it? Clearly it's run before seeing as it has fittings, oil feed and return lines, etc but at least I'm going to do a tune vs a RRFPR which is a bandaid at best.

It could be a conflict of interest but the seller has also seen this post and said "Yeah there’s never been any love for small hp or budget build e36’s on there so I’m not surprised..." I say it now but I'm still not planning on turning this into some high HP build...I'm fine adding a "simple" 100HP and calling it a day. Of all the work I've done on cars in my garage, the deepest I've ever dug into an engine itself was doing a VANOS rebuild so putting in different cams is going to be fairly intimidating even though I've watched videos on it. With that said, pushing the engine to the point where doing a copper/cutring HG is required would be an even bigger deal for me and I have no intention of taking this car that far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by m5james; 11-21-2018 at 12:42 AM.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    86 325es
    I guess I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    86 325es
    The reason people on here are not real enthusiastic about this kind of thing is we’ve seen tons of setups like this pieced together for sale and most of the time none of it ever worked on a running car or all the parts are crap from eBay. That doesn’t seam to be the case here but I can’t really tell you all will be well because I don’t know what any of those parts are or if the turbo is actually okay. Since your going to get your own tune and injectors your basically just buying plumbing and a turbo, so if you trust the seller and you think this fits your purposes go for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Did he tell you what the turbo is? Looks like a gt28 or something about that size

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    M3
    I mean, lets be real here. You can get a NEW... BRAND NEW new s200 borg for under 600$.... slap on the what looks to be cheaper style cast manifold for sub 300$ and what else does it have... some piping, cheap. Intercoolers...are cheap too. You can buy new stuff cheap nowadays it is not hard to make a good quality turbo build for sub 3-4k and it will be a stout build if you know what your doing.

My Cars
    93 325i Turbo, 09 535D
    I would not trust that oil feed line

My Cars
    AA turbo 332i
    I urge you to keep looking. I went down that road (used takeoff kit/box o’ parts, AA though) and it didn’t end up pretty... sadly don’t own the car any longer. Spent well over $3k patching up a $1k kit and never got it quite right.

You will be so, so much happier and rewarded by building your own setup or honestly if you want bolt on power with less drama I’d suggest a supercharger kit.

1995 325i | OBD1 S52 | S50 cams | AA Turbo TD06 20g / 42lb / Porsche maf | .140 MLS | F1 s3 clutch | Ultimate SSK | AKG 75D subframe/diff bushings | 3.23 LSD | Powerflex LCAB/RTAB | e46 fca | Raceland coils | BMP rear arms | DEPO HID | AEM Failsafe | Aeromotive FPR | Walbo 255 | 3" Magnaflow muffler/cat/res | 17x8.5/9.5" 225/45 & 255/40

My Cars
    98 740iL, 01 Suzuki TL10
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    The reason people on here are not real enthusiastic about this kind of thing is we’ve seen tons of setups like this pieced together for sale and most of the time none of it ever worked on a running car or all the parts are crap from eBay. That doesn’t seam to be the case here but I can’t really tell you all will be well because I don’t know what any of those parts are or if the turbo is actually okay. Since your going to get your own tune and injectors your basically just buying plumbing and a turbo, so if you trust the seller and you think this fits your purposes go for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Did he tell you what the turbo is? Looks like a gt28 or something about that size
    That's kinda where I'm going with it.

He didn't, he just said he'd looked over the turbo and it feels fine. I tried Googling what few numbers I could read on the turbo itself but came up with nothing. I didn't ask directly what size it is but he described it as being similar to when AA sold a turbo setup.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, lets be real here. You can get a NEW... BRAND NEW new s200 borg for under 600$.... slap on the what looks to be cheaper style cast manifold for sub 300$ and what else does it have... some piping, cheap. Intercoolers...are cheap too. You can buy new stuff cheap nowadays it is not hard to make a good quality turbo build for sub 3-4k and it will be a stout build if you know what your doing.
    I see what you're saying, I do...but I also know I'd get stuck on the little details of crap and lose interest. He's assured me this is a complete kit since he's added parts from his own bin of stuff, stating all I need to do is bolt it on and go get a tune.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mackiiN View Post
    I would not trust that oil feed line
    I'll look further into the feedline and he heavily suggested I weld a bung onto the oil pan for a return vs what came with the setup in the form of a return line that attaches to the oil drain bolt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjjj View Post
    I urge you to keep looking. I went down that road (used takeoff kit/box o’ parts, AA though) and it didn’t end up pretty... sadly don’t own the car any longer. Spent well over $3k patching up a $1k kit and never got it quite right.

You will be so, so much happier and rewarded by building your own setup or honestly if you want bolt on power with less drama I’d suggest a supercharger kit.
    This is my first time doing anything like this, so I'm going off of his experience and assurances that this is a bolt and go setup...minus tune and maybe the need to upgrade to 60# injectors if 22RPD doesn't tune for 42# injectors.

I've looked at SC kits here and there when I've seen them and even they start at like $2k and somehow still have missing pieces, which often tend to be "kit" exclusive and cost more than generic turbo kit stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know what I'm doing honestly though, so I'm going off his experience in building proven turbo setups of his own and then being friends w/ the owner of 22RPD who just happens to have recently moved closer to me for the tune.
    650hp 10 X5///M5
    325hp 98 BMW 740iL6
    190hp 97 328ci

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjjj View Post

^This. I was going to go the CX route before I turbo'd mine. After research, it seemed like most of the guys who used the kit ended up replacing most if not all the parts with more efficient/higher quality ones. You already have 22rpd near you so you'll want his maf/injectors. There's plenty of "budget" builds with better parts. The biggest plus out of all of this is you'll know what you have and how everything is pieced together.

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    How do I learn what I'm doing?! I was budgeting 6-7k for the eventual turbo build. How could I do it for 3-4k? Does that include a tune?!
    Another big added expense would be the new clutch/ flywheel. That adds 1.5kish. RK Tunes is near(ish) to me, so I'd probably go to them for the tune. That's another 1.5k.then 3-4k for the actual turbo kit, I could see happening.
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Look up the thread by cmzwirner from maybe 4-5 years ago. He put together a nice 550 rwhp capable system with new and used parts including clutch and tune for around $4500. There have been some other budget threads for what I consider good systems. Your $6-7k estimate would be an easier budget to work with.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Is this a joke?

Why would you want this headache in your life?

The kit may be 1,000 but the tune alone is going to double that. Then you have to install all of it. In all likelihood you'll break something, or blow your HG, and 100% burn out your clutch in no time at all. That oil line splice off the banjo looks sketchy as hell. There are much better ways to get oil to your turbo and a simple drill and tap would look and function far better.

Spend money once, buy the best, it will only hurt once then.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    M3
    I got a "new" used full tuning package WITH 340lph fuel pump for 750$...good manifold for 600$... discounted turbo 550$ tial wg 175$ intercooler setup plus piping was like 350$ clutch was 550$ hg n studs another 575. Odds n ends probably 500$. Thats really all you need, not much more. Its NOT that hard. Exhaust i had done my self so just materials there. I can see that being around 800-1200 for stainless with mufflers etc.
    Last edited by Mklock; 12-12-2018 at 02:12 PM.