Thread: Chip tuning (Shark, Evolve, and all these squidbilly ebay fly-by-nights), which be$t

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0

Chip tuning (Shark, Evolve, and all these squidbilly ebay fly-by-nights), which be$t

Howdy,

So for years, I've been thinking about the Shark chip upgrade for my Z3 3.0. Mostly just so when I'm in low gears the rate limiter doesn't kick in (every once in a while, DSC or the programming or something decides that I really didn't mean to give it gas and I get Inspector Crusoe, pulsing, acceleration).

I'm willing to spend $350 for many a thing on this car, but for some reason the I balk at the price of the Shark. I hear tell that the Evolve is even more expensive.

I just went on ebay to see if I could get one of them used and, while I could not, there was a menagerie of rando chip tuners.

Has anyone used any of these things? Is there now an alternate to the Shark? For example, who knows, what a Viper X2 is, but you can get one for $100+ on ebay.

Pity we can't set up a Shark lending library or something.

Thanks for your thoughts.

PS I get that most of the other engine performance mods are mostly window dressing, I just want my car to drive a little more responsively and less argumentatively. On that note, I replaced the clutch pedal already. It helped a bit.

My Cars
    99 M3
    The “Shark” is coded to the vehicle into which it is down loaded, Turner is ‘resetting’ them for ~ $150 currently.
    So a ‘library’ really is not possible.
    Most other ‘chips’ require the ECU mailed to supplier.

There is software being offered for download such as INPA that allows some level of ECU modification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0
    Thanks for clarifying for others. I meant somone with a Shark could physically lend it to other members, possibly with a deposit to make sure it doesn't go walk about.

I saw that Turner reset, but you still have to buy one for $350, no?

So, there is no solid, cheaper competitor to the Shark still? That price has been rather static for years.

Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    The “Shark” is coded to the vehicle into which it is down loaded, Turner is ‘resetting’ them for ~ $150 currently.
    So a ‘library’ really is not possible.
    Most other ‘chips’ require the ECU mailed to supplier.

There is software being offered for download such as INPA that allows some level of ECU modification.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGriff Deca View Post
    Howdy,

So for years, I've been thinking about the Shark chip upgrade for my Z3 3.0. Mostly just so when I'm in low gears the rate limiter doesn't kick in (every once in a while, DSC or the programming or something decides that I really didn't mean to give it gas and I get Inspector Crusoe, pulsing, acceleration).

I'm willing to spend $350 for many a thing on this car, but for some reason the I balk at the price of the Shark. I hear tell that the Evolve is even more expensive.

I just went on ebay to see if I could get one of them used and, while I could not, there was a menagerie of rando chip tuners.

Has anyone used any of these things? Is there now an alternate to the Shark? For example, who knows, what a Viper X2 is, but you can get one for $100+ on ebay.

Pity we can't set up a Shark lending library or something.

Thanks for your thoughts.

PS I get that most of the other engine performance mods are mostly window dressing, I just want my car to drive a little more responsively and less argumentatively. On that note, I replaced the clutch pedal already. It helped a bit.
    The dinan chips are usually not too expensive and are trustworthy. Certainly gives the car a bit more oomph, Id check that out for your car

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Dinan. The initial cost isn't too bad, and any subsequent upgrades (1 to 2 to 3 etc.) is only $100. At least that's what I paid.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Dinan dyno results?????????????????? Do they exist?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Dinan tunes are by far the mildest and least amount of effort I have seen. Yet quite expensive.

Shark Tune used to be done by Jim Conforti, which is an expert at BMW.
    This new Turner stuff, not as much.

There are thousands of parameters that can make a difference (if used correctly), and one company's tune does not equal another's.

The 3.0 M54 has a lot of potential for drivability improvements, in throttle response, revhang, along with the mild power bump.
    Shark Tune doesn't touch those at all.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    BMW Z3 3.0
    Thanks for the comments and votes for Dinan. And particularly the one quoted here. I note that it does tweak the throttle response.

The Dinan stage 1 price is much better at $134.44. Sounds like a tweak for the new year, thanks. I had assumed they would be rather expensive, so I didn't dig into what it was like now, at least for me this helped me in a blind spot.

They do recommend "K&N free flow air filter element recommended for optimum performance." but I assume that isn't super critical/is mostly optional. It is another $50.

*Per Dinan:
    Dinan Engine Tuning Software safely raises the rev-limit by 240 rpm, endowing your BMW Z3 Roadster with a broader power band and greater road speed in each gear. The software also removes the top speed governor, enabling the cars to attain their ”natural” top speed. Reprogramming of the drive by wire throttle system speeds up throttle response, dramatically reducing the delayed response to throttle inputs exhibited with the stock programming.

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Dinan tunes are by far the mildest and least amount of effort I have seen. Yet quite expensive.

There are thousands of parameters that can make a difference (if used correctly), and one company's tune does not equal another's.

The 3.0 M54 has a lot of potential for drivability improvements, in throttle response, revhang, along with the mild power bump.
    Shark Tune doesn't touch those at all.

My Cars
    99 M3

Chip tuning (Shark, Evolve, and all these squidbilly ebay fly-by-nights), which be$t

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGriff Deca View Post
    Thanks for clarifying for others. I meant somone with a Shark could physically lend it to other members, possibly with a deposit to make sure it doesn't go walk about.

I saw that Turner reset, but you still have to buy one for $350, no?

So, there is no solid, cheaper competitor to the Shark still? That price has been rather static for years.
    No, there is no ‘sharing’ of a Shark Injector, as the device codes the VIN of the vehicle it is loaded to. The devise then cannot be used on another VIN vehicle without contacting Turner and paying them to clear the existing VIN from the device.

I think there are less expensive options out there, but generally they require you send your ECU to them.

I have seen some chatter about DIY software that provides access to the Fuel/Timing Maps, but I would venture to guess the available software is not for the occasional tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post

I was under the impression that Turner was the sole distributor for Shark Tune/Injector.
    Turner has been a branch of ECSTuning for a couple of years.

Last edited by bluptgm3; 11-22-2018 at 12:11 PM.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i
    If you're adventurous, masochistic and cheap, there is a better-than-ok-worse-than-good DIY tuning setup available. Buyer beware, you can quite easily blow up your engine if you don't know what you're doing! If you just want to plug in a tuner and pick up a little throttle response, this is not for you.

See this 300 page thread regarding MS43 tuning. https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1082287 My apologies for linking to another board, but that is where the information is.

There is also a wiki page updated by the same guys who started the above megathread https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS43

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe individual
    For same money you will dynotune your car to capitalize all the mods that are just individual to your car.

Z3 & E36 RamAir systems, send private message for more information.