Thread: power loss on eway, trans lites flash, dealer says its the waterpump?? opinions pleas

My Cars
    2007 335i

power loss on eway, trans lites flash, dealer says its the waterpump?? opinions pleas

Hello, in the last month my 07 335I has been experiencing power loss. It's happened 3-4 times intermittently and only while on the expressway. I first get a yellow trans is heating up light and then 2 seconds later a red trans light comes on and by then I am slowing down and not by choice. The pedal is pressed but the car just loses speed but the rpm stay up there until I start shifting. I have to pull over and turn the engine off. I wait a little bit and then turn it back on and its working ok. Prior to this happening the engine was misfiring and when it was under load the engine would stutter, if that makes sense. Changing the plugs and coils fixed that problem but a couple weeks later I have the power loss problem. I took it to the dealer and was told the water pump was failing (+$1100 to fix) and the oil gasket housing is leaking ($+1000). Does the failing water pump explain the power loss problem? My fiancee and I can't seem to make that connection, maybe we are missing something? Thanks for your input.

Beth

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Did they say they have faults for water pump and when it does fail it will reduce the power because it's protecting the engine from over heating, common oil leak get a second opinion is it an active leak or is it just starting to show leakage. Try a good independent BMW shop