Thread: What you do not know MAY hurt you

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85

What you do not know MAY hurt you

Finally came time to fire up the Alpina after almost 3 years in restoration. The last time I had started it was about 8 months ago. Set about everything: New gas - check. Batteries charged - check. Antifreeze levels - check. Car spun up fine, but did not fire. I checked in with Wuffer and Steffen to make sure I was along the right path. DK motors hummed, so the large fusable link in the trunk was good. I siphoned out 9 gallons of the new gas, then removed the passenger rear seat to gain access to the pumps. Pumps had power at the plug, so relays were good. When I hooked up the pumps directly to a 12 V source, no pumping sound. Pumps were bad. Went to remove the ring and gain access to the pump. The Ring screw was only finger tight. The rubber gasket...was...well not rubbery! Looked like Play Dough. When I removed the pump, what a mess. The insulation on the wiring was brittle and coming off. The 4 rubber mounts were black gue. The fuel lines inside the pump connecting each individual pump to the hard lines were essentially 75% gone.

The best price I could find for a new entire pump unit was $500 from Scott at Gault. But - Henry Christoff sent me a note that the Bosch pumps were available individually (Bosch part number 69493) and were available from RockAuto for around $100 each (remember there are 2). Ordered 2 new pumps. Also am placing an order with Scott at Gault for 4 new rubber mounts and the strainer filter.

So, sometimes we don't know what is lurking underneath. Here are some pictures:

Fuel Pump 5.jpg

fuel pump 4.jpg

fuel pump 3.jpg
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    x5, 640i, 850Ci, 850CSi
    Yikes! Ugly. I had the same situation after my 850Ci was brought back from storage for five years. Even though it had been run infrequently, towards the end it sat for an extended period. The fuel pumps do not take kindly to extended non-use. Glad to hear it will be running again soon.
    Mike Barrett
    94 850CSi, Hellrot over silbergrau dunkel/silbergrau hell
    96 850Ci, Oxfordgrun over silbergrau hell

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    Holy crap, what a mess!
    Glad you have it sorted Roger, and thanks for the warning: there are a large number of these cars that are mostly inactive, and could be candidates for the same issue.
    Current:
    1994 E31 850CSi Sterlingsilber/Anthracite Buffalo

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E23 M745iA Arctic Blue
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris
    1976 E3 3.0 Si Arctic Blue

My Cars
    see my signature
    I hate Ethanol blends.

My Cars
    1990 850i and 1970 2800C
    Can it be the fuel nowadays with the bio stuff added ? i cannot see that rubber, good for fuel , makes a difference in working conditions or standing still ?
    I also renewed the pumps unit , but due pressure failure.

My Cars
    1994 E31 850CSi
    The rubber damage certainly looks like a typical effect of using bio-fuel.
    I never use ethanol-based fuel in any of my cars, especially after hearing nightmare stories from owners experiencing serious issues with it.
    Many of these resulted in expensive fuel system/engine rebuilds, and quite a number of out-of-court settlements with fuel companies.

If Roger's unfortunate and expensive incident is indeed a result of using the "cabbage-juice" fuel (as we call it), then my refusal to use the stuff has just been further validated.
    Current:
    1994 E31 850CSi Sterlingsilber/Anthracite Buffalo

Previous:
    1987 E28 M5 Delphin
    1986 E23 M745iA Arctic Blue
    1986 E24 635CSi Polaris
    1976 E3 3.0 Si Arctic Blue

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Unfortunately, finding Ethanol free fuel is difficult here in the US. There are places that sell it, but they are few and far between. The bad thing is, they are talking about raising the ethanol content from 10% to 15 or even 20%.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    not enough
    Eeeek! That just goes to show you, no matter how much you baby a car...some things will just wear and fail. This looks like the fuel pump I removed from my 91 Audi V8.

CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    1990 850i and 1970 2800C
    i see you have at least the special tool for it

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgiumbarry View Post
    i see you have at least the special tool for it
    You know your VW/Audi tools!
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    1972 3.0 CSi-1988 M6
    I recently replaced the original pump only my 91 coupe and it was clean as a whistle. Only deterioration was part of the the mesh filter. Here in California, ethanol added fuel has been used for years. Odd, go figure!
    Bert
    91 850i-A
    1972 3.5 CSi (L-jet, Getrag 265 5 speed)
    1988 ///M6
    2021 X3 M40i

The back to back BIG COUPE” duo

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    I was finally able to complete the fuel pump this weekend. As seen by the pictures above, the fuel pump was in pretty bad shape. Also, the intank fuel hoses were shot, and the fuel hoses on top of the tank were very hard. The insulation on the wiring inside the tank was brittle and coming off, so I replaced all the wiring using soldered joints, then shrink covers. The pumps themselves were Bosch, purchased from Rock Auto for $100 each. I also purchased new fuel tank isolator rubber mounts and a new filter from Gault. Special note - the Bosch pumps warranty is void unless a new filter is installed. New hoses outside the tank were done, with access openings cut as shown. Since my large gasket was pretty much shot and gooie, I also ordered replacement gaskets for both sides from Gault. Many times we talk about the hoses on the fuel pump side (passenger side) under the seat, but also remember we have a second sender unit under the driver's side rear seat. I also cut a small access opening on the driver's side, and replaced the sealing ring and fuel hose. We recently had a member, who was the original owner, who lost his 8 due to a fire from these exact hoses.

Here is a picture of the new wiring in place:
    fuelpump1.jpg

These are the new Bosch pumps in the pump carrier
    fuelpump2.jpg

Pump carrier in place, with wires attached and new fuel lines.
    fuelpump3.jpg

Here is the completed assembly with the new fuel filter/strainer (not attached)
    fuelpump4.jpg

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Here is a picture of the new unit installed with new hoses.

fuelpump5.jpg

This is the access opening I cut to get to the hoses on the passenger side. This photo shows the original hoses before I replaced them with new clamps.

fuelpump6.jpg

Here is the often not talked about unit on the driver's side. Remember it too has a hose. You can see the small access opening I cut to gain better access to the hose. Some have said that they have done it without cutting the access openings on either side, but with my big hands - and according to others - it is much easier to do when cutting a small opening. This picture was taken before I changed the sealing ring and hose. To change the sealing ring, you do not have to take the unit completely out, as there is a hose that runs through the tank to the passenger side.

fuelpump7-aux.jpg

All done.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Awesome work! I probably need to do this to my 850.

Are you using a lighter to shrink that heat shrink tubing?

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by cayle View Post
    Awesome work! I probably need to do this to my 850.

Are you using a lighter to shrink that heat shrink tubing?
    No - just a very small torch. Actually it is a small inexpensive torch that Marcia uses in cooking. I think it was less than $10, and I have "borrowed" it many times.